What's new

***Official LOTR: The Two Towers DVD Discussion Thread*** -- All Posts Here; NO EXCEPTIONS (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
FYI: I just updated the firmware on the D1 and the disc still has problems.

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
OK this "red flicker" problem is really weird. I don't see it, I've looked for it, as far as I can see the transfer is absolutely pristine.

In fact, I cannot even imagine WHERE it would be -- the scenes in question are basically blue, no real "boarders" where the flickering could manifest. I think you guys are seein' things.

Luis A

Second Unit
Yeah, no problems here either using Mits WS65 and Tosh SD-9200. I thought for sure it would have appeared on my POS DVD player, but no.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
watching FOTR:EE and TTT back to back
Good lord! I can barely find time to watch one in its entirety! :)

I had no problems with watching it on my now defunct but ever-trustworthy Pioneer DV-333 and my Toshiba 50HDX82.

The layer change was noticeable to me, however. Not like in FOTR. I'm still not sure where that one is.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
No problem on my Sony DVP-NS900V. I think the problem is with older firmware in players and not the players themselves.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Watched it twice all the way through on a Pioneer DV-37 and a Mits 65907.

No red flicker.

No chapter 51 problem.

GREAT BASS!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

-Lyle J.P.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The layer change was noticeable to me, however. Not like in FOTR. I'm still not sure where that one is.
FOTR layer change is very good. It's in the Council of Elrond, towards the end, a far-shot of the council through the trees behind them. It's a very still shot, and other than the slight pause in a couple of very fne falling leaves, it is impossible to detect.

Gene S

Agent
The first time I watched it I noticed the red streaks. Looked very much like those campy 3-d movies. I was watching the movie at night with no lights on.

Watched it again this past weekend with a lamp on and didn't see the red streaks at all. Thats with me even looking for them.

Didn't notice the layer change either time.

Panasonic PT47WX49 - TV
JVC XV-S500BK - DVD (In progressive mode)

Sean*O

Second Unit
Only problem I had was with the overly soft image, and the DD track that has plenty of lows and highs, but seems to be missing alot of midrange and body.

I noticed that the clips for the preview of the EE edition of TTT on disc 2 seemed quite sharper with much more detail than was seen on the TTT feature on disc 1.

HOPEFULLY, the Extended Edition of TTT transfer will be as sharp and have the higher level of detail and color purity that I saw on the preview. And HOPEFULLY the DTS track will sound as full as the FOTR DTS track did.. not thin like the current DD track sounds to my ears on my equipment.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Took a look at the participants in the "Cast" commentary for the TTT:EE. Didn't see Andy Serkis' name on there. Strange...

Did I just miss it? Someone please just tell me I'm blind. Can't imagine they'd leave off the man behind the most remarkable performance in the film.

--Jefferson Morris

Lane_S

Agent
100% in agreement with Jerrerson... where is Andy Serkis on the cast commentary? He was the best thing about the "Long and Short of It" 'making of', so I know he could hold his own in the mix.

Seriously, John Noble is listed, and as wonderful as his Denethor may turn out to be (and I think it will), (1) he technically wasn't in Two Towers and (2) my understanding is that his cameo in the EE is relativly short. He may end up owning RotK, but TT was all Andy's movie.

Since this is from the official site and these specs have been up for at least a couple of days, I'm assuming this isn't a misprint. I really think that as fun as the cast commentary may be, it will be a bit poorer from Andy's absence.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
For those fanatics (like myself) who plan to buy the "Extra Fancy" edition with the fifth disc devoted entirely to Gollum, we may yet get our Serkis fix. But if he really isn't included in the commentary proper, that would be a shame. P'raps I'll drop a line to www.theonering.net and see what they can find out.

--Jefferson Morris

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That would be a shame to have a Serkis-less commentary.

Also...I know I've said this before, but once again, Jefferson's sig has me cracking up :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I think New Line blew it with the Two Towers gift set. What would be more cool than bookends of Orthanc and Barad Dur? Granted, they already provided bookends with the FOTR gift set (and they're very cool), but what's wrong with one set for the DVDs and another set for Tolkien's books?

I would much rather have another set of bookends than that unappealing statue of Gollum and an extra disc about how they made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks