What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official KILL BILL: VOLUME 2 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
These movies are great b/c of what Tarantino always does:

He manages to make you sympathize with characters who have done extremely evil things;

He makes you laugh one moment, rips out your heart the next, and then makes you cry with joy the next (figuratively speaking, of course ;p)

Dan Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
I finally saw Kill Bill Volume 2 and it was great...better than Volume 1. The main problem I had with Volume 1 was that Quentin just jumped right into the revenge aspect without developing why Beatrix wanted revenge. I enjoy his style of showing different segments of a movie out of sequence, but this was touted as a "Revenge Movie" and the one thing I think a revenge movie needs is that the audience needs to feel for the character seeking revenge and wants to see the bad guys get whats coming to them.

The only 2 movies coming to mind right now that have a good revenge factor are "Payback" and "Open Range" and the thing that made the revenge factor work in those movies is that you saw and felt why they wanted revenge...heck, when they killed their dog in "Open Range" I practically wanted to get the revenge myself.

The opening scene that was used in Kill Bill Volume 2 should have been the opening to the entire film, that way when she started getting her revenge, I would have been right there cheering her on.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I read he didn't want people to like her. Also, you didn't want her to get payback after getting shot in the head?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Considering the lives they all lead - rooting for someone was never a thought I entertained.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

It's tough for me to see that scene as a simple situation of rooting for someone. He obviously deserves severe punishment for his awful scumbaggery, and seeing her back in action after emerging from the coma is great, but I don't think anybody deserves to get killed for that.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
"Deserves got nothin' to do with it."

Besides, wasn't it Bill who said "There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering bastard"? Well, there are consequences to almost killing a trained killer. They messed up with the "almost" part.

I liked Beatrix. I also liked O-Ren. Didn't know enough about Vernita Green to like her or not. Budd and Elle weren't very likable at all. And Bill, despite being a murderous bastard who I would have killed were I in Beatrix's place, was hard not to like, despite all his faults. Rooting for one character over another (in this case Beatrix) doesn't call for them to be perfect.

And Buck definitely deserved to get killed for what he did.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I agree with almost everything you say, Marvin. I think the scene worked, and I also liked Bea and O-Ren. The only thing I don't agree with (in some general moral/ethical sense, not in terms of whether it works in the movie, which I think it does) is deserving to get killed for what Buck did. It's hard to imagine much of anything that could be more sick and twisted than the stuff he was doing, but I don't think people deserve to die if they aren't murdering other people. But, this is a non-movie related tangent (and not even related to Vol. 2), so I guess we can just leave it at that with whatever differences we have.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

That's the most impressive thing about Carrdine's performance, IMO. He's so charming, which he would have to be to keep all those killers on a string like he does, that it's easy to forget what an evil bastard he is even when he's in the middle of doing something terrible. It's a downright Satanic kind of character and Carradine plays him perfectly.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I know I kinda felt sorry for Budd seeing his terrible life and all.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Yeah, there isn't really a "yeah! we're cheering for her to get revenge!" moment in Kill Bill per se, in that sense it's a different kind of revenge film, that the usual Braveheart-formula.

We understand that Beatrix isn't exactly a great person herself. Even Pai Mei, who's supposed to be the grumpy old master comes across as incredibly cruel (but still likable). The characters are not what you'd expect from an American revenge movie.

I think Budd's line:

"That woman deserves her revenge ... and we deserve to die ... but then again so does she."

Sums up the movie to a tee.

I suspect Beatrix will get hers eventually in Kill Bill Volume III (er... Kill Kiddo?) if Tarantino really goes ahead with it.

RyanAn

Screenwriter

I remember hearing that the opening for the first movie, the Klingon proverb will be replaced, and there will some minor triming. In the combined version, several bits will be edited together, so the two volumes will be in some sort of consecutive sequence.

Personally, I like the way the films are, and just am looking for a commentary (Tarantino's first) and other features, possibly a KB tidbits/factoids on screen.

Ryan

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"In the combined version, several bits will be edited together, so the two volumes will be in some sort of consecutive sequence."

Heres a review of the one film uncut version...

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/f...t.asp#killbill

Also, I thought QT said he wasnt just gonna cut the two together but actually reedit the film(s)when theyre made into one epic.

BTW, I loved RRs score for this film. Just fantastic. Id forgotten he wrote it for QT.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's much of Rodriguez' music in the movie. There's the one mariachi song, "Malaguena Salerosa," that's also on the soundtrack CD, and I think some background music in one of the Elle Driver scenes, but not a whole let else. A lot of the background music in Vol. 2, including most of the really memorable musical moments--the Elle/Beatrix fight, breaking out of the coffin, walking through the desert and looking down on Elle and Budd as Elle enters his trailer, Bill's final moments before he dies--are from Ennio Morricone spaghetti western scores.

Michael^DC

Grip
This movie was amazing. The first movie was all about flashy and action. And the cool music. it also kept elements from old fighting movies. Like the cutting off of the arms with blood coming out.

It was the question movie.

Kill Bill vol.2 was all about the answering and it more of a explanation than vol. 1
Although i wasn't happy there wasn't as much fighting than vol.1 I am still happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks