What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official iPhone 4 thread (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
If you get the tethering plan, you can do USB tethering or bluethooth, but not via wifi. There is a $20 charge for this plan, but it's capped at 2GB, and if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you lose it:

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/att-iphone-tethering-plan-sucks-q210/

But get this -- the ipad can only do wifi. So you can't even tether you ipad to your iphone if you wanted. Well, you can if you jailbreak your iphone, since that can turn it into a wifi hotspot.

http://techland.com/2010/06/04/no-iphone-tethering-for-ipad/

If you have an Evo, you can use it as a wifi hotspot for your ipad for $30 with unlimited data. Actually, up to 8 devices, so your laptop, an ipad, and your spouse's laptop and ipad. And then four more.

Which is the thinking behind this ad:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gruber/4839266374/

The Droid X can also act as a hotspot, but Verizon does not offer unlimited data plans.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. That's the deal: USB and BT tethering but not wifi on the iPhone.

Is that an Apple restriction or an AT&T issue? That is, can one do wifi tethering on an iPhone in say Europe?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm thinking a little bit of both. Obviously, AT&T wants to sell iPhone+iPad users two separate plans to increase revenue. But Apple gets to push its higher priced 3G iPads by restricting iPhone to iPad tethering. So restriction is a win win for both of them. For the consumer? Not so much.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

BTW, I received my free bumper case yesterday and *love* it. I had been using an Incipio case which I purchased on "launch day" due to the fact that the bumpers were sold out. The bumper provides the same functionality but makes the iPhone 4 look slimmer and sexier.

I have the "terrible" misfortune of having my renewal come up in January, which is right between June and June. I think I'll tough out the 18 months rather than buy an iPhone 4 now at full price. If I can make it to next January, the trick will be waiting until next June...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jailbroke my iPhone 4 on Monday.

The new jailbreak is the easiest to date.

Took under 60 seconds to do and no adverse

affects.

Running a Nexus Galaxy animated wallpaper

in the background. Looks so cool!

Running MyWi, LockInfo and My3G that lets

you do FaceTime over 3GS (though I have not

tested it yet)

Unbelievable! I am so happy.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
They just announced an unlock for the iPhone 4 (and 3G, 3GS) as well (see macrumors.com).

Is there an easy way to un-jailbreak if you don't like the results? (I'm thinking about apps not running on jailbroken phones - like Skype for instance has been known for that.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How much trouble is chasing revised jailbreaks after each iOS update? I'm intrigued by some minor features, like 5 icons in the dock and changing SMS ringtones :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
How much trouble is it?

It's a waiting game.

Once Apple updates their OS (and one is forthcoming
to patch a Safari exploit) it can take upwards of 5 weeks

for a new jailbreak to become available.

So, you either don't upgrade till the next jailbreak becomes

available (which is what I do) or you upgrade immediately, lose

all your jailbroken apps and then just wait it out.

Another problem with jailbreaking, upgrading the OS and

then jailbreaking again is many times you have to start

from scratch and redownload all your jailbroken apps. This

is because iTunes will not back up anything you did not

purchase from them.

However, I understand there is a program you can
download on your jailbroken iPhone that allows you to

backup jailbroken apps and then restore. Looking into that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, this evening my co-worker (whose phone I jailbroke

yesterday) and I did something rather cool.

We did a FaceTime call over 3G.

There is an app that you can buy for about $4
that allows you to make FaceTime phone calls

over 3G with no need for WiFi.

We had a rather crappy signal in my office but

the video quality was pretty good.

Now the only downside is that once you switch

from the Wifi and start video calling on 3G it does

go against your data plan allotment. Bad for those

with the new limited data plans -- no problem for

someone like me with an unlimited plan that I
was grandfathered in for.

The good news is that allegedly, from what I have

been reading, the video calls don't eat up a hell of

a lot of data.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

I've got a couple questions about some glitches I've noticed on my iPhone 4.

I've had mine since release day. This past week, I noticed two things.

1. On a recent call where I was called, during the conversation, I kept hearing the tone you hear when you press one of the phone buttons to dial a number. I kept thinking they were pressing a button by accident. But i didn't say anything. it was a client.

Later after the call, I noticed the last window on the iPhone was the keypad for the phone. So perhaps it was me and my cheek was pressing buttons. Never happened to me before. So I try to not leave that window up. Is this the proximity issue?

2. The other thing was during a call today, where I was called, about halfway through the call, it switched to speaker phone! I've never activated that before. So I'm not sure how that happened!

I shut the phone off completely just now and will start it up again in a few minutes. Perhaps that will clear it up. As for OS, still using the factory set-up. I did hook up the phone my Macbook Pro last weekend to download some photos, but I didn't let it update the OS. I don't think I did.

Thanks for any insights.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like the Proximity Sensor problem, where it fails to detect you're talking into it while next to your head, the screen enables, and you bump random buttons with your ear and cheek. It's a known problem. The word was it's being worked on in a software update, but I don't know if that's official.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave. I restarted my phone. I'll see if these things happen again! Funny it started happening now.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Restarting the phone will not fix the problem with the proximity sensor...and that's exactly why you are having those issues. Until Apple comes out with some sort of solution in a software update, some people (including a co-worker that has done this) claim that you can go to Settings/General/Reset and select Reset Network Settings. That appears to resolve the problem somehow.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michael for thel suggestion. It seemed odd to me that it suddenly started doing this now, some 2 months or so since i got it. If it does it again, I'll try what you friend did.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Nelson,

According to current rumors the proximity sensor issue should be resolved via a software upgrade in about three weeks.

But If your problem is not resolved by the "re-boot" you just performed, you might consider making an appointment with your nearest "Apple Genius Bar" rep. In some extreme cases they'll actually swap your iPhone out for a new one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting info Joseph!

I'll see how the iPhone behaves and consider the Genius Bar option!

I have not been staying on top of any of these issues recently. I'll do some more reading up on it now. I thought I had heard of the proximity issue, but I hadn't realized what it was since I had not experienced it.

Thanks again!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can someone explain the iPhone Calendar List View?

EDIT: It looks to be an iOS4 bug. Turning off and back on my Exchange Calendar fixed it.

The list view doesn't show events on the right day. I'm utterly perplexed by what it's doing.

In the List View, having tapped "Today". "Friday Aug 20, 2010" is at the top. Below it is an event for Sunday morning. The next day, "Sunday" is listed and then there's an event for Sunday evening. To see today's events, I have to manually scroll up. Under "Thursday" is an event for this morning.

If I add an event for Saturday morning, it shows up under the Friday morning listing in List view.

Is this normal? How do you use the List view? I'm baffled!

( I wish Apple would copy WebOS's calendar setup for Day and Week view and the old Palm OS for Month view. Palm really got calendars right. )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks