What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official HTF HD Review: Fearless (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
90000.jpg">

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Tim,

Does your Blockbuster Queue list this title as "coming soon" because mine does. It's also had a couple of HD-DVDs listed as "short wait" for about a month now so I'm a little unhappy with their HD-DVD selection. Their regular DVD service has been awesome(especially with the free in-store rentals), but if the HD end of things doesn't improve I may end up cancelling w/ them and going back to Netflix. I really want to see the Fearless HD-DVD, but don't want to do a blind buy so I guess I'll just have to keep waiting and hope they make it available soon.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just checked my BB Queue Brent, and yes....it does say "coming soon". :frowning: Seems like I had better shipping results from renting these late last fall than now. Personally, I think their new Total Access is great and they are getting alot of business with this according to the local manager here. They probably don't have enough HD-DVDs just yet. Most of mine say "short wait" or "available". 2 of them say "long wait: :)

Hope we both can get this one soon to view. Drop an email to them about the HD-DVD issue (I did)...they sent me a free ecoupon too. :) BB's pretty good at responding/customer service.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I said that I was never going to buy a HD-DVD that was priced higher than 19.95 (Amazon Price), but I made an exception for this title. The DVDTalk review said if you only have one HD-DVD title in your collection, this is the one to have. It was given Collector Series status.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
How does the nighttime 'swordfight in the restaurant' scene look? I watched this one in the theaters and that scene was so dark it was difficult to follow at times. I hope the HD-DVD exceeds the film in this regard!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have only seen this title on SD-DVD and it was awesum. This is a title that I will be buying on HD-DVD very soon. And I would recomend this movie to anyone looking to see a good movie! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I am going to buy this title if I can ever find it in stock. :frowning: That seems to be the one HD-DVD title that never seems to be in stock.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Garrett: On my Panasonic AE 900u and 96" screen the nighttime restaurant fight was perfectly balanced color and light wise. This movie will really stretch your system to the limit, but if you have at least run through the THX optimizer or (better yet) DVD essentials you will be very happy with how this scene looks. That particular scene reminded me of some of the scenes from Kill Bill or a John Wu movie more than a 'traditional' chinese martial arts movie, but that's not really a ding against it, its just different.

Sam

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just watched this one tonight...(actually it was just late Wednesday :)). Really enjoyed this film but regarding the image and sound: Wow. The image was very real and natural looking. I couldn't find any fault at all...wasn't looking for any but none arose.

Audio is also very good. FWIW, I listened to the Mandarin track with English subtitles.

This is really not my kind of film although I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers etc....but it's good and I found myself really getting into it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Sam,

Very good review. I had a chance to watch this movie over the weekend. I had not seen it before, but had read decent reviews when it was released theatrically.. As a presentation, you are right on. PQ was excellent, and SQ was certainly very good. I would personally give the film itself one more star than you did, as I found the story very engrossing. That aside, another fine HD-DVD for my collection.

Thanks.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just picked this title up and usually I am not big on this type of movie. But this one I felt was outstanding! I actually found my self preferring the mandarin chinese track with subtitles over the english track. IMHO one of Jet Li's best performances and a must have film in HD. I agree with ppltd that the movie was very well done and I to was cought up in the story, I was blown away. The video transfer is very good but I am disappointed in the DD+ track. Not sure why they did not go with a Dolby True HD track but I think it was a mistake not to.

Has anyone heard why they did not go lossless with this title?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's a very good HD DVD Shane...hope you end up getting this. Like I said yesterday, a solid film with an outstanding image.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Picked it up based on this thread and I'm not sorry. The image quality is about as pristine as it could be. You guys just cost me $20 :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's our job Shane. ;) Glad you enjoyed it. :emoji_thumbsup:....Let's don't even begin to think about how much we've spent since joining the HTF
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks