What's new

***Official ET on DVD Discussion (Gift Set, Packaging, Features, Etc) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, now it looks as if the original version is only available for the SRP of 69.95. There is NO way I will pay this for E.T. I like E.T., but I would not even pay 40.00 or 50.00 for the original. $30.00 would be my max for this movie. (Star Wars or Raiders would be a different story. :) )
Interesting how the Special Edition two-disc set has an SRP for only $22.95 ---which means this should be able to be snagged for well under $20.00.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Did you see the cover for the 2-disc set edition. It’s really ugly. But I don’t care because it’s the cover for the bastardized version! Let’s hope that the cover for the real version is better. However it is true that it’s too expensive to get the real E.T. I don’t want the CD, I have it. And what’s up with the moratorium? What’s the benefit of it for them? Does it really make it to sell more? The normal buyer will never know that he/she should get it in 10 weeks! Who wins?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Also, I am just wondering how good the original version will look. Will the original look and sound as good as the special edition? For $70.00 SRP, it better!

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Call me a sucker, but I'll be buying the $70 deluxe original version. Its my third-favorite movie of all time, and its worth it to me. Does nothing but hurt my opinion of Universal, but I guess that won't matter much to them after they have my money.
:frowning:
-mwb-

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Some questions the press release doesn't seem to answer:
  • Will the Ultimate bonus disc be the same as the second disc on the 2-disc set? We can assume, but you never know.
  • How many discs are included with the Ultimate? For that price, they better dedicate one disc each to each version of the movie.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
$70? Now I can take all the money I saved by not seeing the rerelease in the theaters and spend it on something else! :)
No thanks, Universal. :thumbsdown:
-Dave

Ivan_F

Grip
I may be part of the minority on this, but I saw it twice in the theater in 1982, and it was a great experience for me...when I was 10 years old. Today, I'm not sure if the movie will return those same emotions, especially with a $70 price tag. The most I've spent on a single movie was $33 on the Lawrence of Arabia DVD, and $90 on the Godfather boxset (i was desperate!). With all due respect to E.T., I don't think the price tag justifies the only way to view the 1982 version on DVD. Just my $0.02.:angry:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
D'oh! At least DVDFile gave us the actual press release so that we could clear up the confusion.
So I've got the LD CAV boxset, so I don't think I can justify getting the $70 DVD box. The DVD's transfer of the 1982 cut (presumably anamorphic) might look better, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sound is DD 2.0 surround, giving my LD the edge with a PCM surround track. So I'll probably just buy the WS 2-disc DVD set and grumble during every side change when I watch my LD. ;)
DJ

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It looks like E.T. will remain one of those lds that I keep for a long time. I hope just hope that the technology of dvd recorders improves quickly and that the price drops quickly enough that I can back this up at some point in the not to distant future.
On the bright side, it looks like my Hopscotch ld will finally be getting replaced. :) :)

GaryEA

Second Unit
I like the new artwork, and I'm a key art purist.

However, I'm not spending anything over $45 for a gift set, just so I can own a seminal film of my childhood in its original theatrical form.

If I can find a good deal on the set, then I'll buy it and split the set with my family (I'll take the original, I'm sure my parents will enjoy the remainder). If not, I'll either wait and see what happens when this "moratorium" is lifted, or find a copy of the laser disc.

-g

p.s. "...one of the most requested DVD titles." Which version did they request? And at what ratio?

Questions, questions...

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
Some questions the press release doesn't seem to answer:

Will the Ultimate bonus disc be the same as the second disc on the 2-disc set? We can assume, but you never know.

How many discs are included with the Ultimate? For that price, they better dedicate one disc each to each version of the movie.
That's what I'd like to know. It says the Ultimate version has 3 discs (which includes the CD soundtrack). Are they going to cram the 1982 & 2002 version onto one disc?

Andrew

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was looking forward to picking this up, but not now, unless I can find the deluxe set for a GREAT price. One thing I noticed in the press release, though:
The Ultimate Collector's DVD edition will include a widescreen version of the 2002 film, the original 1982 theatrical release, a bonus features disc, a complete script, the remastered CD soundtrack and a collectible senitype.
As you can see, it explicitly mentions the $70 set will include the widescreen version of the 2002 version, but doesn't specify that for the 1982 version. Think this may be like another Grinch playset LE that included ONLY the 1.33:1 version of the film?? If that is the case, then I obviously wouldn't buy the set for $5. Of course, it may just be ambiguous wording on their part.
Thoughts?
http://www.dvdfile.com/news/web_wire...titles/et.html

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I see what you are saying Scott, as the wording could be better. But, I would have to imagine the 1982 version is widescreen in such an "Ultimate" type edition. Spielberg seems to make sure his movies are always in OAR, as well, although P&S versions have been released.
One thing for certain: if the 1982 version is P&S only, it would sure make the decision easier for many people to pass on spending $70.00 (or whatever the street price) for this set. :)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
As you can see, it explicitly mentions the $70 set will include the widescreen version of the 2002 version, but doesn't specify that for the 1982 version. Think this may be like another Grinch playset LE that included ONLY the 1.33:1 version of the film?? If that is the case, then I obviously wouldn't buy the set for $5. Of course, it may just be ambiguous wording on their part.
I bet they're both widescreen.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
If it turns out that the only way to buy the original version is to spend $70 - COUNT ME OUT. I was all excited when I first heard about both versions being included, but I refuse to pay that much. Since I wont spend $70, and I refuse to buy the altered version, I guess I wont be purchasing any version of E.T on DVD. Good job Universal...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks