What's new

***Official ET on DVD Discussion (Gift Set, Packaging, Features, Etc) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Gavin_L

Second Unit
thats interesting news, a little expensive to fork over that much money for the original version, but i'm crazy enough to buy it, one of my childhood favorites, as long as the original cut is at tops with a nice video transfer and a nice sound track :)
i originally thought they were gonna release both cuts cheaply but i guess not, hopefully we be able to get some more info soon.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I think the Reuters/Variety article clears up any questions:

"Universal Studios Home Video (USHV) will reintroduce the alien creature to home video audiences in both his big screen incarnations (original and re-release) in a limited DVD Collector's Edition ($22.95) for 10 weeks only before the title goes on moratorium indefinitely."

So both versions will be available together cheaply in a single package.

DJ

Gavin_L

Second Unit
oh, i guess it does clear things up, thanks dj :)
but anyways i am so there, buying et when it comes out, i've been waiting to get et on dvd since I first started collecting :)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Other than having it to play in your car, I don't see the need for the CD from the Ultimate set. The score is going to be available as an isolated track on the DVD. I can just pop that puppy into my player at home and listen if I choose.

Does Macrovision only affect video??? If so, then I would assume I could eventually make my own CD of the score, somehow....

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Other than having it to play in your car
Or on your computer, or in your portable CD player. Plus, there's the fact that the CD is high-quality PCM while the isolated score will probably be low bitrate DD 2.0 track. The LD boxset also had both an isolated score and a CD, but that isolated score was analog mono.

DJ

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not one of the pricey collector's boxes with the film frame and such have ever included actual DVD content that was not available in another version; don't look for it to start. If they incur the extra expense of production, they will want a return that is not limited to a niche fanbase.
Frankly, I don't really like ET anymore; well, not the way I did as a youth. But I'll buy it to support the fact that Spielberg is giving us a choice. Hear that, George Lucas?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I wonder why Universal is trying to pull this limited-time-only stuff. You think they would've learned from the poor theatrical re-release that ET doesn't really work that way.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why Universal is trying to pull this limited-time-only stuff. You think they would've learned from the poor theatrical re-release that ET doesn't really work that way.
I think you are mistaken. ET doesn't have to work that way when it's a successful formula for HOME VIDEO. DVD has been largely different from VHS from the start, but some VHS trends are coming.

Take a look at Platinum Disney.

They'll do huge numbers on this set. Then it will be gone for 5-10 years and they'll do huge numbers again. Eventually when the numbers slow, they'll release it permanently.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I find it interesting that it is a two-disc set when we have TWO versions of the film along with 10 hours of extras, and I would imagine it will be in DTS. Bandwidth problems anyone?

I just wonder if they will put the original version on the extras disc, freeing up space for the SE.

Oscar

Second Unit
This is confusing.
So i can only get the original version if i pay 70 dollars?!.
I will check later, but this is indeed confusing, very confusing. :confused:

Oscar

Second Unit
Ok now let me see if i understood.

There will be 2 versions.
One will be a collector´s edition with both versions the 1982 and 2002.

And the other will be a super-duper deluxe box set with script, CD, etc.

Chris M

Second Unit
According to the Official Press Release found at http://www.dvdfile.com it looks like the original assumption is true. The original version will ONLY be available in the DELUXE BOX SET! :frowning:
I just hope I can get it for $70 CDN then. $110CDN will be nuts for a single movie on DVD.
Chris.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
"Universal has just issued the full press release for E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial, touching down on 10/22. Available only for 10 weeks through the end of 2002, three versions will released, including widescreen and pan & scan two-disc sets of the 2002 re-release plus a second disc of extras, and a three-disc mega-box that also includes a soundtrack CD. Some may complain that the original cut is thus only available in a really expensive package."
from DVDFILE
They could be wrong, but it seems like the original cut will ONLY be on the $70 edition.
Well, I will ONLY buy the original cut, but I would NEVER pay $70 for it.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Congratuation are in order for Universal Studios. They found the ultimate gimmick. Make the original movie a bonus feature you have to pay extra for.
Consider me a lost sale. :thumbsdown:

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, reading the press release, I can't help but notice how many times they emphasize that ET is "one of the most requested DVD titles." I guess I'll still be requesting it for many years. In an affordable set. With the original version. Without the BS features.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
From the Bits today...

We've got word today that Universal's forthcoming E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Limited Collector's Edition DVD (which is expected on 10/22 - SRP $29.95 - available in dual widescreen and full frame formats) will be a 10-week only limited release. The 2-disc set will include the new anniversary version of the film, along with some 10 hours of extras. You'll get video of director Steven Spielberg talking about the film (20 Years Later with Steven Spielberg), deleted scenes, composer John Williams' score on an isolated audio track and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere, a 50-minute The Evolution of E.T. documentary, the cast & crew Reunion Featurette, galleries of production photos and artwork and more. There will also be an E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set that same day ($69.98 SRP), which will include BOTH the original theatrical version and the 2002 theatrical version, along with the CD soundtrack, the original script and a collectible senitype. This more expensive set is the ONLY way to get both versions of the film.
Nice. And thanks for saving me money. One less movie I'll be buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks