What's new

***Official 7th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I snuck in one of my favorites before bed last night:

Frankenstein 5/5 : I love this movie, it's my favorite of the Universal Horrors. I always feel so bad for the monster in this. I know most people prefer "Bride Of Frankenstein", and I well admit it's probably a more accomplished movie, it seems to lack the heart of this one, exchanging it for the campy humor. If "bride" was actually shot like it was scripted, it would probably be respected at the level "citizen Kane" is, but alas, the censors got their teeth into it too early.

See post #3 for my running tally.

Derp!

This made me think I better retract my "this Isladn Earth" entry, but at least it had a threatening presence and a girl chased by the "Moo-Taunt" (I'm sure the monster was just called "Mutant", but they all pronounced it like "Moo-Taunt"), so I'm still including it.

I'm probably watching "The Day The Earth Caught Fire" tonight, can anyone warn me ahead of time if it's suitable for the challenge?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

THIS ISLAND EARTH is okay. All Sci-fi (especially if there's a monster) is appropriate, IMO. The rules aren't that strict, I don't believe.

But in good faith I just couldn't count the Laurel & Hardy movie I saw last night. Apart from its cheat title, A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO was completely a non-horror comedy (unlike, say, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN or YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I think it works for a Halloween Challenge. However, I'll warn you that I felt it was a talky and dull film despite its promising premise. And I can tell you right now that Mario Gauci will certainly disagree! :)

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
10/3

The Black Castle (1952, Nathan Juran) - 5/10

- Although I’ve rated this film a 5/10, it’s really not that bad – it’s just not the film I wanted or hoped for. While it has its moments, there’s too much melodrama and too little horror in The Black Castle for my tastes. And don’t be fooled by seeing Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney, Jr. listed in the credits. Neither does much of anything. Chaney’s character is interesting and has a frightening look, but he doesn’t have near enough screentime. As for Karloff, any actor capable of standing upright and reciting a few (very few) lines could have played the part.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I like THE BLACK CASTLE, Rick, but I can see where you're coming from. It would have helped going in for you to know that Karloff and Chaney only are in bit parts. That was one of the concerns I had for first timers when the new BORIS KARLOFF COLLECTION was coming to DVD from Universal and films like this were included. Hopefully, maybe if you see it again next time you can view it differently.

SteveS.

Auditioning
3. The Ring- 4.5/5

I still love watching this movie even after multiple viewings. Even though I know precisely what/when things are going to happen, it still freaks me out. Excellent flick!!

Running total on page 2, post #38.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Nah...I included Dinah Shore Portal To Hell a few years ago (a collection of old Dinah Shore guests as well as some other bizarre TV moments like Siskel and Ebert outtakes and a stoned James Brown being interviewed). Not really a horror entry I suppose, but certainly horrific. In the end it was actually quite dull...

My two viewings from last night:

5. One Missed Call 2 - A sequel to Takashi Miike's film (though not directed by Miike). Not bad actually and better than it should've been given the overly convoluted plot and total lack of consistency. I suppose I'm asking for a bit too much of ghosts to behave in a consistent manner, but when a film just starts pulling them out of closets, tunnels and luggage for no apparent reason other than they felt a scare was needed, you start getting a bit annoyed. There were still some pretty effective creepy moments, but overall it ran too long.

6. Lady Vengeance - Wow. What a great film. Skirting the edges of the challenge since it isn't really a horror picture, but there certainly are some cringe inducing moments. I loved both Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, but this might be the best of the lot. Chan-wook Park loads up on style to deliver the tale of a wrongly imprisoned woman's search for vengeance and redemption. In the process he creates a stunning, gorgeous work of art.

Running Tally of 2006 Scary Movie Challenge

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I'm in. I'm going to boldly try for 31, but I've never been able to hit it yet. I even rejoined Netflix to get in the spirit. I managed one a day so far, plus I actually have the weekend off, so here's hoping.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Marcus Nispel

This movie turned out much better than I thought it would, but that's like saying a fart didn't stink as bad as I thought it would. There are a few gruesome moments, and R. Lee Ermey made me chuckle, but too much of it seemed pointless. It was somewhat interesting that all the evil came from the teenagers actually trying to do the right thing. The ending sucked. If you want evil to reign supreme, then do it.... don't just half-ass it.

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zack Snyder

When one remake leaves you a bit cold, you just move on to another (and before all you "Why not watch the originals" start calling, I was trying to pick something my wife had never seen). I don't really equate this to the first one. While they are the same title, setting, and story, this one opted to just be a balls out horror story. No social commentary here...no no no. And I salute that. Because you could never top the original, so why try. There are a few minor flaws, but here evil reigns supreme. Kudos.

Haute Tension/High Tension (2003)
Alexandre Aja

I bought this blind upon release, and had only watched it once. The repeat viewing didn't hold up well. The tension was gone, and I viewed it with the "twist" in mind. Still enjoyable, but I don't see myself watching it again for some time.

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) C
2. Dawn of the Dead (2004) A-
3. Haute Tension B-

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Ah, there's the little bugger! :D

Eaten Alive - Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre follow-up has the deranged owner of a motel feeding unwanted guests to his pet crocodile. Basically the same story as TCM with the action moved to a swamp. Garish, over the top and not as focused as TCM, but pretty grisly at times.

**1/2 out of ****

Next up: the Japanese horror classic Jigoku, the silent suspenser Warning Shadows, the WWI horror flick Deathwatch and a revisit to Tombs of the Blind Dead.

My List

Bolded titles are first viewings.

The Black Castle ***
The Strange Door ***
C.H.U.D. ***
The Thing With Two Heads **
The People Under the Stairs **1/2
Dead Life **1/2
Eaten Alive **1/2

Rick Spruill

Stunt Coordinator
I just find it odd that a movie like this would have been included in a Boris Karloff set. Had the set been called "The Richard Greene Collection" I could understand its inclusion. But you're probably right - it's the kind of movie that I will more than likely enjoy more after a repeat viewing. Like I said, it's not that The Black Castle is particularly bad - it's just not what I was expecting.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

True. What happened was, Universal has a slew of their old horror films of the 30s, 40s, and 50s and they're trying to find a way of marketing them to get them all released. We had all those DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, MUMMY, WOLF MAN, INVISIBLE MAN, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON "LEGACY" COLLECTIONS in 2004, then the BELA LUGOSI COLLECTION last year and an INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES this year... but the trouble is, now what do they do with the odds and ends that don't seem to fit into one specific subject? I'm not saying this makes it easier to take, but just trying to give an idea of why the studio put THE BLACK CASTLE in there. The same could almost be said of Boris in THE STRANGE DOOR (but he's more prominent in that one)! :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, the camp factor is definitely there, but that is the only appeal. Maybe I should include a "Camp" rating when suitable.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I know there aren't any strong "rules" when it comes to this challenge but I don't see the problem with including something like THIS ISLAND EARTH. There's a very small line between horror and sci-fi anyways. Something like MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS was included in a sci-fi collection but to me it's a straight horror film. I'm including those Inner Sanctum films because they are for the horror crowd. Even something like YOU'LL FIND OUT features more music/comedy than horror but Karloff, Lugosi and Lorre are there for a reason.

Some people last year included DELIVERANCE. I'll probably watch SALO this year and include it. There are certain other "cult" movies that are only viewed by the horror crowd, which I think would be fine here.

Jess Franco's Perversions (2005) :star:1/2

Recent Jess Franco flick based on the writings of Marques de Sade has a gang of lesbians (led by Lina Romay) torturing men and any women who would date a man. There's torture, lesbian sex, S&M, gore, lesbian sex, mutilation and more lesbian sex in this film but alas, it's all very boring and silly. The most outrageous scene happens when one poor guy is tied up by two of the lesbian killers and they bite something off. Even at 80+ years Franco is still a perv. The music score by Franco is very good and keeps this thing from being a complete disaster.

Oomo-Oomo, The Shark God (1949) :star::star:

This year I'm trying to track down some of the rarer horror movies and I'm not going to lie when I say I've seen a lot of horror films. However, I believe this little rarity is perhaps the lowest budgeted film I've ever seen. I'm not sure what the actual budget was but I'd be shocked if it were over a couple grand. A ship full of men head to an unknown Pacific island so that they can steal the diamond eyes of a sacred shark god. This god is protected by voodoo folks and you know what happens when the diamonds are stolen. I'm giving this thing two stars simply because I just watched it in amazement at how many corners the producer's took to keep the budget down. All the "horror" items are kept pretty much off screen and we're only told about them through narration. The sound effects are cheap as hell as you can tell it just seems like a record being played in the background. The only good moment is some nice stock footage of underwater scenes including an octopus being killed and eventually eaten by thousands of fish.

2006 Horror Challenge

01. Crime of Dr. Crespi, The (1935) :star::star:
02. Missing Guest, The (1938) :star::star:
03. Torture Ship (1939) :star::star:
04. Hand of Death (1962) :star::star::star:
05. Last Shark, The (1981) :star::star:1/2
06. School Killer (2001) :star::star::star:1/2
07. Blackenstein (1973) :star:1/2
08. Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde (1976) :star::star:1/2
09. You'll Find Out (1940) :star::star:1/2
10. Weird Woman (1944) :star::star:1/2
11. Dead Man's Eyes (1944) :star::star::star:
12. Jess Franco's Perversions (2005) :star:1/2
13. Oomo-Oomo, The Shark God (1949) :star::star:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Especially with 50's films, when all the monsters were caused by science malfunctions with nuclear engergy. I feel guilt free now. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Wow. Michael, what would you say the ratio of good Franco films are, versus lousy ones? So far I think I've enjoyed 5 out of 25 or so.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well....you can see here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=230362

You have to "get" Franco to be a fan. Each fan will have a different fav or a different hated film. I don't think any two Franco film agrees on what's great or what's poor. There's more shit than gold but when you find a good Franco film it's usually on a level higher than what Argento, Bava or Fulci could have delivered.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I guess I don't "get" Franco. I like a handful of his films, especially some of the earlier stuff like THE AWFUL DR. ORLOF and DIABOLICAL DR. Z, but nothing I've seen of his in many tries can even come close to the best stuff I've seen from Argento and Bava. SUSPIRIA and BLACK SUNDAY alone are better than the 25 films I've seen from Uncle Jess.

Which of his films would you give *** or better?
EDITED: Okay - I've read your link and I see which films you give *** or more.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Quote (originally posted by Joe Karlosi):

"I think it works for a Halloween Challenge. However, I'll warn you that I felt it was a talky and dull film despite its promising premise. And I can tell you right now that Mario Gauci will certainly disagree!"

"For someone who has not liffed even a sinkle lifetime, you are a vize mann, Herr Kar-lo-si"

Quote (originally posted by Michael Elliott):

"You have to "get" Franco to be a fan. Each fan will have a different fav or a different hated film. I don't think any two Franco film agrees on what's great or what's poor. There's more shit than gold but when you find a good Franco film it's usually on a level higher than what Argento, Bava or Fulci could have delivered."

I have watched 44 Franco movies myself...although calling them "movies" is stretching it a bit since most of them are as languid as a disoriented zombie! Still, 13 of these somehow managed to get *** from me; I'd particularly recommend VENUS IN FURS (1968; arguably his best), EUGENIE...THE STORY OF HER JOURNEY INTO PERVERSION (1969; my first encounter with Uncle Jess), EUGENIE DE SADE (1970; Soledad Miranda's finest hour) and LOVE LETTERS OF A PORTUGUESE NUN (1977; one of the finest Nunsploitation flicks) as being movies well worth seeking out, watching and, eventually, owning. Incidentally, I have 3 more "rare" Spanish Francos still unwatched on DVD-R...

As for Franco being superior to Mario Bava, those are pretty big words, Mike...even if our mutual acquaintance Francesco Cesari would certainly agree with you. Similarly, I've gotten my hands on 4 Bavas lately, 2 of which - THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1963) and PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (1965) - I've never watched and I intend to include them in my ongoing Halloween horror bash...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'll take your word for it, Mario. So if I ever get around to more Franco, I'll make it a point to seek these out. Problem is, I saw most of my Franco films long before I came online and started keeping notes for myself, so for all I know I may have already seen these and don't know it.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey All,

Finally I get to chime in! Just got back from LA last night.

Desperation - (2/5) - Caught this at the film festival. It had all the elements of a low budget, in the woods, girl gets attacked flick - but it never came together - poorly executed. There were a couple funny moments, a clever camera angle, and one pretty good performance, but overall it just didn't work. I do give the writer/director credit for attempting to infuse humor and trying to get it going.

Sleepaway Camp - (2/5) - I've seen Sleepaway Camp 2 but I never saw the original for some reason - until now. Popped this in last night after my wife went to bed (I'm still on LA time). It was a ho-hum flick that just never got scary and never got sexy and those are the key elements of a good slasher flick! And then came the ending. I must admit that the closing shot actually was a creepy image and well executed. So there you go. Stick with the movie just to get to that shot and you'll realize you didn't just waste an hour and a half. Also - a pretty good performance by Felissa Rose as Angela.

Cannibal!: The Musical - (2/5) - I love South Park. And by extension I love the creators. However, this just didn't get me. A few clever lines in the songs aside, I couldn't get into this. I had high hopes too. Maybe that was the problem?

Up next is Bubba Hotep! Been wanting to see this one for awhile now.

Cheers,

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks