What's new
World Wide Stereo

NSP1, Dayton 10", and HK avr225 setup help... (1 Viewer)

RichST

Grip
Weee, I finally got all my stuff...and it's all hooked up. BUT, it's not calibrated...furthermore I'm kinda at a loss on how to do it. The problem is I'm a med student very limited on time so the only in depth reading I can afford for the next week deals with neurology and ophlamology (not HT setup fun). I know some people have this setup (JBL NSP1II, Dayton 10" sub, and HK AVR X25) and was wondering if they'd be so gracious as to give some pointers. For example, I don't know what to set the phase at on the sub, how to adjust the crossover, etc. It should be easy becuase the HK 225 has the EZ setup thing...I just haven't had time.

Anyway, I'll eventually get to this over the next couple weeks in bits and pieces. So, if you think I'm being lazy and don't want to give advice it's no problem ;).

You may ask...if I cant take 3 hours to understand the setup when am I gonna take time to watch a movie on it soon?? Hehe, it's new hardware and I want to impress my roommates. I think you can see where I'm coming from :D

Thanks.
Peace.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Rich,

It's not that we think you are lazy. But, even though someone else might have the same setup as you, the room acoustics are different. This alone would create a bit of a difference in the way your system is setup vs. someone else with the same setup in another room.

OK, with that being said, there are some good ways to go about this. It should not take you 3 hours to do - not at all. But, you do have to have the right tools. I'd recommend the Sound and Vision tune up disc - which is available at Best Buy stores for approx. $17. Also, you should get a SPL meter from Radio Shack. These two tools are very essential for setting your system - and also recalibrating it should you buy any new components down the road.

Now, if you don't have time to go through with what I proposed, you could do the following:

1) Set all of your speakers to "small" in the configuration on the receiver.
2) Set the crossover on the receiver to 80 Hz.
3) Set the crossover on the back of the subwoofer to the highest level (e.g. 150 or 160 Hz.)
4) Keep it at these settings until you get a proper DVD setup disc as suggested.

Best of luck!!

RichST

Grip
Thanks for the quick pointers. I got out of class early today, and decided to set it up before lunch. I know the SPL meter in the AVR225 remote and test tones isn't the best but it was all I had. Sounds better than before anyway :). Setting the sub crossover helped a bunch too.

I'm not sure how to adjust the reciever crossover to 80 Hz. I'm wondering if this reciever even does that. Maybe adjusting the speakers to "small" is the only option I have in that regard?

Muchas Gracias

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

Once you set the speakers to "small" the option to set the crossover should exist. If it doesn't, maybe the 225 has a "fixed" crossover. However, I'm not sure about that since I don't have that particular receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks