What's new

Now that we have Young Maverick, are you enjoying it? (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I've finally finished watching all the episodes and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

It does appear that the two part episode, rather than using the two seperate episodes, used a version that aired as a CBS late movie airing from the early 80s - edited together as a movie. It didn't stop me from enjoying the episode, however.

I'm glad to finally have the series released!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I've finally finished watching all the episodes and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

It does appear that the two part episode, rather than using the two seperate episodes, used a version that aired as a CBS late movie airing from the early 80s - edited together as a movie. It didn't stop me from enjoying the episode, however.

I'm glad to finally have the series released!!

Good to know. I will keep my original 2-part episode in it's original form then.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My set is in, but I haven't had an opportunity to view it yet ... Maybe this weekend.

In any event, it sure looks good up on the shelf next to the Maverick and Bret Maverick sets!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
You know, for those of you who might be interested. It might be nice to send a thank you letter to WB Archives for putting out Young Maverick on DVD. They didn't HAVE to, you know.

Anyway I sent them a letter of aappreciation. It's the least I could for all those years of nagging them about it.

James

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While there's absolutely nothing wrong with sending a thank you note, Isn't that just assumed by the act of paying for the product? ;)

We didn't have to do that, either. And since only a nut would buy a title they don't like, it's a safe assumption that the vast majority of their sales for each title are also grateful that it was released (Assuming it's not messed up in one way or another, like cut episodes for a common ailment).

Last edited:

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I do have one issue with the set that I am currently discussing with WB.

LET ME SAY, though, that I truly enjoy having this set. And would encourage anyone 'on the fence' about buying it - get it!!!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
OK ... Today I viewed the pilot and then the first regular ep.

"The New Maverick" was great. But then I knew it would be since I've owned the commercial DVD release of the movie for years. I just wanted to compare the A/V quality to the commercial release, and it thankfully seemed just as good as the previous release.

So then I eagerly selected "Clancy" -- the first regular episode of the "Young Maverick" series ... And right away we have a problem: THE JAMES GARNER CAMEO AT THE BEGINNING HAS BEEN CUT!!!!

According to the book "Maverick: Legend of the West" this episode is supposed to start off with Ben and Bret riding together. They then reach a crossroads in the trail and Bret rides in one direction while Ben rides in the other. I know this is a very small cameo but it was James Garner playing Maverick and I definitely expected it to be included with this set.

Other than that, the ep was fine. But where's the cameo????

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I have a question, too.

Years ago there was a VHS release of The New Maverick. It ran longer than the version that aired on ABC. I was wondering what happened to the extra footage in the VHS release? Maybe something contractually that kept them from using it?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I remember that intro with James Garner as well. I saw it. Now, if we can only get WB Archives to find that intro.

james

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the VHS release, but the movie seems to exactly match the original DVD release.

I think it’s more serious that the James Garner cameo in the "Clancy" ep was cut. I have now confirmed from three different sources that
* The cameo was part of the initial broadcast.
-- and ---
* It was actually intended to be part of the episode; not just a tacked on network promo. Heck, we even find out during the course of the ep why Bret didn't want to ride into that town.

The book "Maverick: Legend of the West" made a big deal of the fact that Garner had played Maverick on all three of the original major networks.
Well, this was the only time that James Garner played Maverick on CBS. And the scene has been cut!!!

To say that I’m disappointed would be an understatement.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just viewed the second "regular" ep -- "A Fistfull of Oats" -- and thought it was hilarious! I couldn't get over all the recognizable guest stars in this ep, and it had a real "Maverick" feel to it with Ben being stuck with the "perfumy, circus horse" in lieu of cash in a poker game.

It turns out that the missing James Garner cameo in the "Clancy" ep was less than 30 seconds, but I would still like an explanation as to why it wasn't included. Other than that, I'm enjoying the set.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Disappointed about the missing Garner cameo. I thought it might have originally been shot with the first episode filmed and then cut into Clancy when they chose to open with that one, so I checked the beginnings of the episodes filmed before Clancy but it isn't there either.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying the series a lot. It's much closer to the tone and spirit of the original series than "Bret Maverick" would later be. It's a little hard to ignore the fact that the lead isn't Garner or Kelly, especially after seeing them both in the very good pilot film, but once the actor comparisons stop, I think the show comes across as a nice revival. I have only watched the pilot movie and the first three episodes, but having a good time thus far.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
So ... I've finished off the series.
I thought the majority of the regular series eps had a "Maverick feel" to them, but I did get tired of the "Nell" character being in every episode.

Anyway, I'm happy to have the series up on the shelf. I'm *very* disappointed that the brief Garner cameo in the "Clancy" ep was not included, but I would still recommend the set to any "Maverick" fan.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I have more than enjoyed this final piece of the Maverick puzzle, as I've said before.

Having been in touch with a WA employee, they can't find any trace of the missing Garner footage from the first episode. The only print they have is what was used for the set. The only evidence they were able to find of it was the ad for the premiere that appeared in TV GUIDE that mentioned the cameo. No reason to doubt what they are saying. Not even any notes of it in the surviving production notes from the series that they have.

I sent them a copy of the scene as I have it on VHS. Very poor quality. Very poor. The tape has been packed away for probably 15 + years when I dug it out. But it did show them that the scene existed.

I have no reason to doubt what they are saying. The show is over 30 yrs old. It wasn't a popular show, obviously. I'm just glad to have it.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Last thought.

The character of Nel would have been better used like Samantha Crawford in the original series. Sparingly. The actress was good, it just was awkward the way she was worked into each episode.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I have more than enjoyed this final piece of the Maverick puzzle, as I've said before.

Having been in touch with a WA employee, they can't find any trace of the missing Garner footage from the first episode. The only print they have is what was used for the set. The only evidence they were able to find of it was the ad for the premiere that appeared in TV GUIDE that mentioned the cameo. No reason to doubt what they are saying. Not even any notes of it in the surviving production notes from the series that they have.

I sent them a copy of the scene as I have it on VHS. Very poor quality. Very poor. The tape has been packed away for probably 15 + years when I dug it out. But it did show them that the scene existed.

I have no reason to doubt what they are saying. The show is over 30 yrs old. It wasn't a popular show, obviously. I'm just glad to have it.

Thanks for following up on this; it was very much appreciated!
I suppose the bottom line here is that the brief Garner cameo in the ep was some kind of one-shot network promo -- despite some evidence to the contrary. But now that we know that there was a concerted effort, at least, to locate the footage, I can (somewhat) live with the omission.

And I agree 100% about the "Nell" character: She would have worked much better as a semi-regular. She was very engaging and was really good in pulling off the "caper" roles when requested (really liked her Gypsy role in "A Fistful of Oats"); there was just a little too much of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks