What's new

Non-anamorphic images stretched on Philips 34PW9817 (1 Viewer)

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Philips 34PW9817. In the manual, it said to connect DVD players with progressive scan output to the AV4 (wideband) input jacks using component video connectors. This is what I did in the initial setup.

Anamorphic images look great on the TV, but non-anamorphic ones are horizontally stretched. I can't adjust the TV's display format, because there's only one display option with the wideband input: widescreen. I tried turning on the Auto Progressive setting on my Pioneer DV-45A to see if this would fix the problem, but instead another problem occurred: the menus on some DVD-A and DVD-V discs got messed up (nothing but colored streaks).

Am I right in suspecting that the cause of the problem is these wideband input jacks, and that all I have to do is to connect to the other component-video jacks (AV3)? Or is it something else?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Philips locks into full mode with progressive-scan signals. The solution is to select the interlaced output on your player when playing letterboxed-only or 4:3 discs. Even better would be to purchase a DVD player with aspect-ratio control.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I'm kinda stuck with this player for now, so getting a new one isn't practical.

When I select the interlaced output via the switch on the front panel on the DV-45A), the entire screen turns into distorted horizontal lines. Is there any other way of switching to interlaced on the DV-45A that I'm missing?

Would it work if I add an S-video cable between the player and the TV's AV3 jacks and use that video source to watch letterboxed-only and 4:3 discs?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
S-video is a good way to go for the non-anamorphic disks.

Also check the instructions to find out whether there is an interlaced component video input, possibly using a second set of red/green/blud jacks. If so you could get an audio-video switch box and connect it backwards so the DVD player feeds both sets of component jacks.

If you just got the TV, would you want to return it and choose something else? Also lets manufacturers know that this "lock in 16:9 mode" is an irritating problem.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Also check the instructions to find out whether there is an interlaced component video input, possibly using a second set of red/green/blud jacks. If so you could get an audio-video switch box and connect it backwards so the DVD player feeds both sets of component jacks.
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks. I have a few more questions:

What's a good brand/model of AV switchbox? Is the backwards connection as simple as it sounds (i.e. reversing output and input), or is there more to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks