What's new

No Sounds Using HDMI cable (1 Viewer)

oilhuter1

Grip
Real Name
Roel
Ok guys Im newbie here I set up my system that includes bose acoustimas15, Marantz SR5008 and a 55" Phililps smart 3D TV.

But I can't get a sound using HDMI cable the only way to get it is by adding optical cable.

another problem is using my old pioneer HT DVD player I via HDMI I can see the pictures but no sound as well. I tried everything I know but haven't got it well

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I know the manuals are hard to read I find it to be same with my Onkyo TH SR-875 but reading and having more hands on time with it will solve the snags.

It could a few things you have overlooked.

Firstly let me glance at the manual or maybe you should since you have the AVR in front of you. But lets give it a try.

http://m.us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/SR5008U_ENG_CD-ROM_UG_v00.pdf

Look at top of page CONTENTS PAGE 33 -34 Connecting a TV

PAGE 119 HDMI control function
PAGE 120 Setting procedure

HDMI control function

A recent addition to the HDMI standard is CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), which allows control signals from one device to communicate with

another device via the HDMI cable connection. Not all HDMI-equipped devices have this capability.

Setting procedure
1 Set the HDMI output connector corresponding with the
HDMI control function.

Set “HDMI Control” (vpage 150) to “On”.

2 Turn the power on for all the devices connected by
HDMI cable.

3 Set the HDMI control function for all devices connected
by HDMI cable.

• Please consult the operating instructions for the connected
devices to check the settings.

• Carry out steps 2 and 3 should any of the devices be unplugged.
4 Switch the television input to the HDMI input connected
to this unit.
5 Switch this unit input to the HDMI input source and
check if the picture from the player is ok.

6 When you turn the TV’s power to standby, check that

the power of this unit also goes to standby.
NOTE

• Some functions may not operate depending on the connected TV or player. Check
the owner’s manual of each device for details beforehand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically You need to click though the HDMI settings on your AVR (but you need to double check that the settings on the Outputs for the players are in mode setting for the BITSTREAM for Dolby TrueHD dtsHDMA otherwise the signal will go out with as 5.1 with no 7.1 when there is an encode film mix in 7.1, So double check there's no need to panic nothing broken its just the tricky/dicey I know.

Also check the AVR HDMI settings as mine has HDMI COAX and OPTICAL for each of the video modes and if its in the wrong setting you might only get DOLBY Pro-logicIIx if you have analouge cable Lt-Rt connected like I do in the event the digital track messes up for some reason or another?

So I gather you have a few players? That's great keep it simple for yourself.

Check your Bluray player HDMI is going to BLURAY 3. Its not important that it does it would work in any of the HDMI inputs. But for you lets keep it simple.PLUG YOUR BLURAY HDMI OUTPUT TO AVR HDMI BLURAY 3 INPUT.

PLUG YOUR OTHER PLAYER INTO DVD HDMI OUTPUT TO AVR HDMI DVD 2 INPUT.

You need to now make sure each setting on those inputs are set for HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 as some AVR allow you to mix or swap the signals inputs around. So make sure they are in Sync with correct player and that player has the signal set to BITSTRAM.

Also connect a RCA lead from the platers to analouge Lt-Rt inputs so in the event the digital messes up it should switch automatically but if no switch it manually.

I see no reason now why it shouldn't work now? Otherwise not a bad going AVR it even has RCA 8 channel outputs to connect to outboard DSP crossovers EQ and amplifiers.

AVR2.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Make sure the HDMI audio OUTPUT is set off.That is a common mistake. Audio output setting is to listen to the news using the TV While still using the AVR video features.Easy way to check this...Turn the volume up on the TV, if you hear audio...you have that setting wrong.

oilhuter1

Grip
Real Name
Roel
Thanks for the response guys but i have followed everything in the manual but I fail dont know where I missed

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
How do you have your system hooked up? Is the DVD going to the tv or to the receive first? How do you have your cable box hooked up? Sounds like you are trying to go into the AVR from the tv with an hdmi and optical and the hdmi isn't working. What happens is you put the hdmi from the DVD into the AVR?

oilhuter1

Grip
Real Name
Roel
Here is my set up TV is directly hooked up to AVR via HDMI on arch (no sound i need to add optical cable to get the sound)

DVD is hooked up to AVR vis HDMI (same thing no audio if I remove optical cable)

there is another optical cable run from dvd to avr but it doesn't work if I remove optical from tv to avr so basically only one optical is driving my sound from TV to AVR only

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. ARC is not guaranteed to work. Marantz should have a list of TV brands it works with in the manual. (Like Onkyo's RHID, which has to function, for ARC to function, only works with Samsung and Panasonic).2. Does the DVD player have any form of CEC? (The CEC is what allows ARC to function. If the Pio is too old for CEC, could be why it isn't working while trying to utilize ARC/ CEC)My advice.Forget ARC and CEC. They typically cause more grief than anything.

oilhuter1

Grip
Real Name
Roel
I just wonder why it didn't work on ARC as both units are relatively new TV and AVR.. my dvd player is not that much old coz it has HDMI..

Im still trying to figure out what went wrong even though it works fine using optical cable but I wanted to reduce my cabling that's why I need to find out why it's not working on HDMI..

one thing i haven't found yet is the setting for HDMI audio output to set it OFF

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ARC is an HDMI 1.4 OPTIONAL specification.Like I already said.ARC, between brands, is not guaranteed to work. It has never been guaranteed to work on 1.4. Your owners manuals even say so.ARC works in 10 seconds...or it, period, does not work at all.Ask 100 members on this forum about their "success using CEC and ARC".50 will tell you it sucks balls.49 will tell you it sucks ass.1 person will say it works fine. And that one person will be the proud owner of the same brand TV and soundbar/HTiB.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, things changing...1.4 to 2.0.CEC and ARC become mandatory specs.Meaning a brand spanking new Marantz with 2.0 and a brand spanking new Philips with 2.0...ARC and CEC are "guaranteed to function". (I'm just waiting to see just how many combinations there are...where that isn't going to be true)2.0 also brings along 4k/60fps...although, there will be plenty of 1.4 that won't have a problem. (Just like back when 1.4 debuted...check your 1.3 AVR for 3D passthrough before replacing it)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
oilhuter1 said:
So ARC is not good options then!!!
As soon as ARC was tied with CEC, it sucked.We get a bunch if threads about wonky things going on with TV, BD/DVD and audio components that the first thing I always ask..."Is your CEC on?""Yeah, why?""Turn all that crap off."While later..."Things work now."

oilhuter1

Grip
Real Name
Roel
yes I think my ARC is ON.. and need to dig out again where is setting to turn it off and try everything even HDMI audio output Off.. I have encounter it last time but can't remember where to go back hahahaha

oilhuter1

Grip
Real Name
Roel
schan1269 said:
Make sure the HDMI audio OUTPUT is set off.That is a common mistake. Audio output setting is to listen to the news using the TV While still using the AVR video features.Easy way to check this...Turn the volume up on the TV, if you hear audio...you have that setting wrong.
There is no setting like this on my avr its either tv or avr only both doesnt work

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
oilhuter1 said:
Here is my set up TV is directly hooked up to AVR via HDMI on arch (no sound i need to add optical cable to get the sound)

DVD is hooked up to AVR vis HDMI (same thing no audio if I remove optical cable)

there is another optical cable run from dvd to avr but it doesn't work if I remove optical from tv to avr so basically only one optical is driving my sound from TV to AVR only
With the TV I totally get the ARC not working.

However, I'm puzzled by the DVD. You should get audio though the HDMI unless you've told the DVD to use the optical for the audio. Then there's the problem of the audio not working if you pull the TV optical out of the receiver. If you have the DVD connected to the AVR via HDMI and optical you should have sound no matter what you do with the TV audio output cable. One input should not have anything to do with the other.

I know this is a silly question but when you tested it did you change the input on the AVR to DVD for testing audio signal coming from the DVD? I'm thinking that you kept the input on the AVR on the TV audio input. That is the only way I can come up to explain why the sound is not coming from the DVD when you pull the TV optical cable. Of course that means the DVD is somehow connected to the TV other than through the AVR. Which also explains why you're not getting sound through the HDMI.

oilhuter1

Grip
Real Name
Roel
ArmSC

I did all of that I have tried it even several times but it doesnt work.. i feel that there really something to do with my AVR.

Just to let you know my DVD has own set of speaker so while playing any CDs on DVD normal sounds is coming but not on the speaker which is NOT connected to AVR

Sorry I just edited it is not connected to AVR

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What do you mean..."the DVD has own set" of speakers?If this is HTiB connected to AVR, 100% the problem.(But the asking you, twice, what this DVD player is...and coming back with "Pioneer HT DVD" makes sense now)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks