What's new

No Great Pumpkin this year? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, the more complete live-action 1973 Hallmark Hall of Fame version is still missing. This should have been a feature film, but they stopped doing theatrical features for a while after their non-musical vacation to France and they could not squeeze an extra half hour out of CBS despite their two-part live-action Alice in Wonderland musical extravaganza the same year.*

Snoopy!! The Musical is most notable because of the song "Just One Person" which became more closely associated with The Muppets as it fits them better than it fit the Peanuts characters.

*IIRC whenever CBS reran the four features, which they often did on Thanksgiving afternoons in addition to prime time, they were cut down to fit a 1 hour running time.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Since I assume I'm not alone around here in picking up the 4k set late last year, have any other recent buyers opened their purchase yet? I did earlier this morning and seem to have problems. The inside of the plastic case seems to have oils on it and it's on the discs as well.

It's not even old stock apparently, since the one disc I popped in was the non 4k version of 'It's a Great Pumpkin' and it has 'Charlie Brown's All-Stars' on it (Originally, the accompanying Halloween and Thanksgiving regular Blu-Ray's were just reissues of the original 2010 releases without the extra tv special added to each UHD disc). Rather disappointing to discover.

While I know this thread is specifically about streaming, if anyone has any advice on cleaning these discs and a quality 6 disc replacement case with correct dimensions for the original case insert and slipcover, I'd appreciate it. I could go see if my Big Lots still has season 1 of I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray for $5 (Right number of discs and correct dimensions), but I just don't have the heart to gut such a nice release.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The 3 holiday Specials will be on PBS this year.
First up is the Halloween special It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, which is scheduled for Sunday, October 24. You can tune into A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving on Sunday, November 21, and A Charlie Brown Christmas on Sunday, December 19. All three specials will air at 7:30 p.m. ET. As it's PBS your local station may air them at different times.
In the NY City area they are on PBS Kids, not the regular PBS station.

www.mentalfloss.com

After a Year Without the Peanuts, <em>It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown</em> Is Returning to TV

If you missed watching Peanuts holiday specials like 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' and 'It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown' last year, you can look forward to watching them on TV in 2021.
www.mentalfloss.com

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm glad the owners are now allowing PBS a single airing of each one for those homes who don't have home video libraries, but I haven't watched a Peanuts special on network TV during this century, I don't believe, and I watch the holiday themed ones every year at times I deem appropriate for the season.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Ether my cable company's listing was wrong or they changed where "The Great Pumpkin" is being broadcast in the NY City area. It's still on Sunday at 7:30 PM but now the listings say it will be on WLIW PBS channel 21 licensed on Long Island.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
In Chicago, the Great Pumpkin one will be airing twice within an hour's timeframe tomorrow night, as our local PBS affiliate WTTW is airing it at 5:30 PM CT and then it'll air on PBS Kids, the alternate channel an hour later at 6:30 PM CT and thinking they do the same thing for the other two specials on the timeframe, so at least here, it'll get aired twice within an hour on the same night. Check local listings for when this is airing on your local PBS affiliate and on your PBS KIDS affiliate.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
In Chicago, the Great Pumpkin one will be airing twice within an hour's timeframe tomorrow night, as our local PBS affiliate WTTW is airing it at 5:30 PM CT and then it'll air on PBS Kids, the alternate channel an hour later at 6:30 PM CT and thinking they do the same thing for the other two specials on the timeframe, so at least here, it'll get aired twice within an hour on the same night. Check local listings for when this is airing on your local PBS affiliate and on your PBS KIDS affiliate.
I saw that too and just set my dvr to record it.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
An update for Chicago viewers on the Thanksgiving special airing on 11/21/2021...just found out from WTTW that this specific special airing on Sunday, 11/21/2021, will be SIMULCAST on both WTTW 11.1 and PBS KIDS 11.4 at 6:30 PM CT but again, this could be subject to change but as of right now, this special will air on two different channels of WTTW at the same timeframe, so again, for the rest of the country, check your local PBS & KIDS affiliate listings for the exact time of airing.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
Our local PBS station has now aired all three on the main feed, in beautiful HD. I recorded all three and now have good quality, unedited digital copies to watch whenever I want, no matter what the rights holders decide to do in the future.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Our local PBS station has now aired all three on the main feed, in beautiful HD. I recorded all three and now have good quality, unedited digital copies to watch whenever I want, no matter what the rights holders decide to do in the future.

I’m glad I picked up the 4k peanuts holiday collection.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here we go again.

Apple TV+ will stream Great Pumpkin for free without a subscription during Halloween weekend. But there will be no linear TV airing of the Peanuts specials this year.

I'm good with my Blu-rays. However, I think it is unfortunate for people who do not have the capability to use streaming that these shows won't be airing on a linear network this year.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Here we go again.

Apple TV+ will stream Great Pumpkin for free without a subscription during Halloween weekend. But there will be no linear TV airing of the Peanuts specials this year.

I'm good with my Blu-rays. However, I think it is unfortunate for people who do not have the capability to use streaming that these shows won't be airing on a linear network this year.
Agreed. It should be on tv every year.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Outside of award shows there are few special programs on linear TV today. Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and 4th of July Fireworks, The Tree Lighting at Rockefeller Center, Christmas at Disneyland/Disney World, and the New Year's Eve Specials are the only ones that come to mind. Everything else seems to be on cable or streaming.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One nice thing, though. The special shows I looked forward to each year as a kid: the Charlie Brown specials, Cinderella with Lesley Ann Warren, Peter Pan with Mary Martin, The Wizard of Oz, White Christmas; I have all of them now on disc ready to play any time I want. When I was a kid, I couldn't dream there would ever be such a day, but it's true. And I am VERY thankful. I can stay a kid long into my old age!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Outside of award shows there are few special programs on linear TV today. Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and 4th of July Fireworks, The Tree Lighting at Rockefeller Center, Christmas at Disneyland/Disney World, and the New Year's Eve Specials are the only ones that come to mind. Everything else seems to be on cable or streaming.

What is linear tv?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I assume he meant over-the-air network broadcasting.
Yes he did. It has been used in articles describing over the air TV and so I used it.

Example from Deadline:

NBCUniversal Is Becoming "Fairly Indifferent" As To Whether Programming Goes On Streaming Or Linear TV, CEO Jeff Shell Says

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What is linear tv?
I wrote THE book about Macy's Parade and I do not watch it anymore DVR it and skip commercials when Jean McFaddin was the leader we saw better talent and performed the entire song click to see Sammy Davis Jr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks