What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Nicholas Nickleby (2002) Blu-ray Review

nicholasnickelbytop-1024x576.jpg

One of the greatest of English language novels, Charles Dickens’ The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby comes colorfully to the screen in Douglas McGrath’s 2002 adaptation Nicholas Nickleby.

[review]
Read more.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Matt! Since it's a limited release and one of my favorite Dickens adaptations, I bought it without waiting for reviews. I'm glad I have a quality presentation to look forward to when I get around to watching it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
After a long stretch where I could scarcely find any time for movie watching, current circumstances have forced me to slow down. Tonight was the beneficiary of those circumstances, as it provided the opportunity to finally watch this disc.

I adored this movie when I saw it at my local arthouse theater back in 2002, and I adored it again tonight -- probably more so, because themes that seemed quaintly historical that first time seemed a lot more disquietingly contemporary this time around. What a beautifully shot, beautifully acted production that takes one of the longer Dickens serials and tells it beautifully in a brisk two hours and change.

The presentation mirrored my memory of what I saw in theaters, complete with -- as you note -- "the slightest of age-related specks and markings." I'm more than happy with it.

I loved the words Douglas McGrath gave to Vincent Crummles for the closing narration: "In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills. Thus, happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it but to delight in it when it comes. And to add to other people's store of it."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.