What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have to wonder were Clue Club is in terms of releases. Clue Club was one those shows that HB's facebook page did on a survery, so why has it not been released.

There is also Banana Splits as well. Banana Split is one of the few shows part of the best of saturday morning cartoons that has never seen a full release. New Adventures of Gilligan is another show part of the saturday morning set of 1970s that has also not been released.

I am concern like I have said in previous post as we are nearling the end of July as such there is only 5 months left of the year. December can be scratched as it typically has slowed release schedule after Dec 18th. So, what is going to happen in the next say four months? HB seems to be keeping things close their chest as such it is a wait and see for me. I can not buy from WB directly as shipments to Canada still has not been lifted as such I have to wait months for the releases to show up on amazon.com's site.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
rmw650 said:
Did HB ever release a complete series of the Huckleberry Hound show? I remember the first season of it but weren't there more cartoons of his?
No, just a very large volume 1. There still seems to be a big surplus of it out there so they may be waiting for it to lighten up.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Short answer is they haven't released the rest of the series yet.
When the archive began in 2009 the idea was to get movies and TV released through the archive in a direct sell mode using best available versions. In 2010 they began re-mastering most of the movies after listening to feedback from fans/customers. In late 2011 this started to apply this to their TV show releases and in 2012 to their animated releases. This accounts for the slower releases since it takes time to find the best elements and re-master. Since 2013 they have also been trying to release the Saturday morning shows as originally shown with as much of the original bumpers as possible. Hair Bear Bunch, Space Stars and Heathcliff/Dingbat Show are 3 that I know released this way. This obviously takes longer for a release as well.
They have mentioned the hold up on Huckleberry hound is searching for all the original materials and reconstructing the episodes. They are also doing this with Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel and hopefully most of the other unreleased 60'/70's cartoons. I'm willing to wait for these complete and re-mastered versions but waiting does get frustrating. Hopefully we will see 1 or 2 classics by the end of the year.
rmw650 said:
Did HB ever release a complete series of the Huckleberry Hound show? I remember the first season of it but weren't there more cartoons of his?

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
rmw650 said:
Randy gave the best answer to your question. There are still 35 Huckleberry Hound shorts, 13 Yogi Bear shorts, 35 Pixie and Dixie shorts and 29 Hokey Wolf shorts that have not been released yet.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, Greg, for the list of the remaining Huck Show toons that are outstanding. I would not want these early HB shows released incomplete if source material is available. This is a case of WB doing the right thing, imho. I'm willing to wait to get the most complete collection possible.
A few years back, Shout got into too big of a hurry with the Tennessee Tuxedo and Underdog releases, and these products were less than they could have been. It shows when a studio takes the time to do some extra things with these cartoon releases, and I appreciate these efforts.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I think there are actually only 28 Hokey Wolf cartoons. One of the titles that shows up on lists is actually an alternate title for one of the cartoons. I think "Boobs In The Woods" is the erroneous title IIRC. I don't recall which cartoon it really is (possibly "The Glass Sneaker"), but I do remember an entry at the US Copyright website listing it as a working title or something.There also is "Hokey Millionnaire(sic)" as aired on USA, which is an alternately-titled version of "Hokey's Missing Millions."

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Greg Chenoweth said:
Randy gave the best answer to your question. There are still 35 Huckleberry Hound shorts, 13 Yogi Bear shorts, 35 Pixie and Dixie shorts and 29 Hokey Wolf shorts that have not been released yet.
Was Yogi blue (instead of brown) in the Huck show?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Randy Korstick said:
They have mentioned the hold up on Huckleberry hound is searching for all the original materials and reconstructing the episodes.
And I keep repeating; there aren't any original materials to find. What are they going to find that Earl Kress couldn't in 2005?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Ken_Martinez said:
And I keep repeating; there aren't any original materials to find. What are they going to find that Earl Kress couldn't in 2005?
And I will always have to repeat this: the Warner Archive people can only put out so much in a year. Just please be patient. And as The Rolling Stones sang: "You can't always get what you want/But if you try sometimes, you might find/You'll get what you need."

In addition, some titles, Hanna-Barbera or otherwise, may take longer to do than others.

~Ben

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So you honestly believe they have what would be one of their best selling animated titles all ready to go and they aren't releasing it for no reason at all and that they would chose to release lesser selling titles before it. You really think they don't like to make money. Sorry I'm not buying that.
There maybe more to the answer then they are giving us but if everything was ready and they were happy with it then it would already be released.
New Materials are always discovered with Private collectors and other sources.
Ken_Martinez said:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Randy Korstick said:
So you honestly believe they have what would be one of their best selling animated titles all ready to go and they aren't releasing it for no reason at all and that they would chose to release lesser selling titles before it. You really think they don't like to make money. Sorry I'm not buying that.
There maybe more to the answer then they are giving us but if everything was ready and they were happy with it then it would already be released.
This discussion will never die as long as there are no answers.

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Please note: I tweeted WAC about HEYYY, IT'S THE KING! (1977) and they say it's not in their cards at this moment. That would mean THE SUPER GLOBETROTTERS (1979) is the only Hanna-Barbera '70s release they plan to put on DVD this year (at least).

I know they flat out told me, time and again, in regards to that show they're still finishing it up, so we'll be seeing that one sooner rather than later.

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
For all those of you who may be concerned about any DVD release, please read this:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/108253-some-bad-news-concerning-the-dvd-release-of-the-original-king-kong/page-3

The words of wisdom in that post are:
Include me in with the group that is glad that Warner [Archive Collection's] taking the time to do it right the first time, instead of giving it a half-baked rush job. Under no circumstances would I begrudge them the extra time on any of their releases, as that might lead to the next one being rushed out the door with a less-than-best effort. None of us would want any of that.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty much what they did say by stating they were trying to restore them with all the connecting parts and more work was needed. They just didn't get into specifics. You have every right to be frustrated, we all get frustrated when titles we want don't come out. This year has seen a lot of 80's titles come out but not many 60's or 70's titles so its been a good year only for fans of the 80's material. I just don't think they would sit on it if they thought it was ready to go.
I do respect your knowledge of animated shorts and TV animation.
Ken_Martinez said:
If they were scouring around for lost materials, they'd flat out say so (like with the Bowery Boys).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ken_Martinez said:
Well, I wouldn't ask you this if we weren't on a post-100 page of the thread, but what was the story on the 2005 set? Were they originally going to do a complete series? What exactly have you been repeating?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I totally missed the announcement of this before, but apparently WHV has rereleased This is America, Charlie Brown. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/America-Charlie-Brown-DVDs-Announced/19486. The first episode, regarding the Mayflower, was an extra on the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special, and it is one of the best kids specials out there (would that Classic Media would release Mouse on the Mayflower). I am excited about this release, and overall, it has been a bang up year so far for WHV on classic tv animation on DVD with this, the Filmation New Adventures of Superman and Batman, and the Rankin Bass Hobbit and Return of the King.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks