What's new

Newbie here...Recommendations for a Hi-def DVD(not bluray)/VCR combo machine.... (1 Viewer)

TJSanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Teresa
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the world of home theatre and have a few questions, but first:

I just bought a 55" smart tv. Hi-def and apps and all that stuff. Its a Scepter brand. No ROKU. Looking for some recommendations for a decent DVD/VCR (yes I'm old school) which will retain hi-def picture quality. Not expecting too much from vhs, but my dvd's should play hi-def. On my vintage combo player, they look pixelated. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks so much!
T

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can't get blood from a stone. Meaning, DVD is NOT "high definition" to begin with, so there is no way to retain something that isn't there to begin with. Sorry, but that simply is the situation. Unfortunately, I doubt there are combo machines, other than very old used ones. There's simply no market for making VCRs anymore.

What you probably need is a Blu-Ray player with good upscaling. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the best solution.

TJSanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Teresa
You can't get blood from a stone. Meaning, DVD is NOT "high definition" to begin with, so there is no way to retain something that isn't there to begin with. Sorry, but that simply is the situation. Unfortunately, I doubt there are combo machines, other than very old used ones. There's simply no market for making VCRs anymore.

What you probably need is a Blu-Ray player with good upscaling. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the best solution.
Ok, I wasnt entirely sure. Thanks John!

TJSanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Teresa
I agree with John.

But if you've got more questions, keep 'em coming and welcome to the Home Theater Forum!

:welcome:
Thanks Mike! Can you recommend a good sound bar w/surround sound? *Under $100 is ideal* I have a lot of older concert vhs and dvds that need some sound boost. My new tv has an ok built-in speaker, but its tinny, and not really made for music, or home theatre experience.
Thanks!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Thanks Mike! Can you recommend a good sound bar w/surround sound? *Under $100 is ideal* I have a lot of older concert vhs and dvds that need some sound boost. My new tv has an ok built-in speaker, but its tinny, and not really made for music, or home theatre experience.
Thanks!
TJ,
Most sound bars do a terrible job at surround. I’d recommend buying one that excels at stereo.

If you can stretch your budget slightly, this is my top pick:

Yamaha SR-C20A Compact Sound Bar with Built-in Subwoofer and Bluetooth

Failing that, here is the best option under $100:

TCL Alto 6+ 2.1 Channel Dolby Audio Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer, Bluetooth – TS6110, 240W, 31.5-inch, Black

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I will admit I was a bit surprised that nobody makes a VHS/DVD unit anymore. Even more shocked to see the going prices of the old New Untis that are still being listed though most of them are DVD Recorders and not plain DVD players.

Looks like lucking up and finding one sitting on a shelf at a store or on Ebay might be the best bet other than looking at a Refurb Used unit, some which may well be like new

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I still have my Panasonic dvd/vhs player since there a few movies and documentaries that are not on dvd or blu-ray yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks