What's new

New X-box magazine-the next issue big news (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll probably get the issue just to get the Kola Cell level since I don't have Live. The Otagi demo also intrigues me.

I always assumed the big news was that they were going to apologize for hyping Superman too much ;)

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-BrianB, I agree mags are always hyping and I've got no bone to pick with that, but I would like to see them acknowlege the hype they print. In this case when September's issue rolled out it would nice if they could at least do as little as open an article with, "In our last issue we mentioned blah, blah, ...well here it is,.." It could be that Kubuki Warriors Xtreme is coming for all I care, I'd just like to see what they were referring to.

-And P.S. Brian, I'm enjoying Skies of Arcadia. :emoji_thumbsup: I love my DC

Dan B

Screenwriter
In this case when September's issue rolled out it would nice if they could at least do as little as open an article with, "In our last issue we mentioned blah, blah, ...well here it is,.."
I agree with you there! They do make it seem like they're just talking out of their asses when they fail to do that. BTW, I think the mag is a great value for $25 bucks a year...for the demos every month. The magazine has some good previews as well. Well worth the money, in spite of their hype and ass-talking.

I do hope they get the framerate smoothed out for DX 2 BTW, it's been real bad in the movies I've seen so far.

Oh, and my OXM isn't here yet. :angry: I'm usually one of the first.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Is it me or does this mag read a little on the fanboyish side. Every other line is "..best system out there." or "what's the point of a console if you can't play Halo" or the piece where they trashed the PSX calling it the PSXbox.

I guess it's what you should expect from an officially sponsored magazine. Does Microsoft publish OXM? OPM has a disclaimer in the first few pages stating that it has no financial ties to Sony, and I could not find a similar statement in OXM.

All in all, it kind of turned me off but I still might subscribe for the demo discs. Nice touch including a gamecase cover so you can put the disc in an Amaray case.

Cheers.

J.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Fanboyish statements aside, I find them to be very fair with their reviews. I have seen them trash a game when it rightfully deserved it and vice versa with a good game.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I admit I was being somewhat facetious when I said I would never buy the magazine again over this, but come on... Is it too much to ask a magazine to at least mention what they were hyping? I never saw a quality mag like NextGen do something like this.

On a related irritation with game magazine, how often have we seen them preview a game like it's the second coming only to trash it in their reviews? The need a reality check.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
On a related irritation with game magazine, how often have we seen them preview a game like it's the second coming only to trash it in their reviews? The need a reality check.
Again, like just about every game magazine/website. Previews are, by & large, publicity pieces.

Of course, it's a two way street - journalists are frequently guilty of hyping up games that don't deserve it, but at the same time, sometimes they do see the obvious problems in the games they're previwing but they're faced with producers & developers who swear such problems are "already fixed in the latest build" or "oh don't worry, that will be taken care of" despite crushing schedules that offer no hope of salvation.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
hey i just made the thread based on what the magazine said. It was meant for discussion not scrutiny.This forum could use some more chat as its been dead around here.

capt

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
As per the norm, there is no news. A lot of info on Deus Ex 2, but that's it.

-Dave

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
So how are the demos, those of you who have the latest issue? I think I'll buy it just for the chance to play the demo disc. Still haven't rented Brute Force and Otogi or whatever it's called looks kinda cool.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Otogi is pretty sweet, although the camera is entirely user-controlled & I wonder if the gameplay will get repetitive. ESPN NFL is great. The characters no longer look too tall & skinny, and it controls great. I can't seem to grasp teh passing game though.

I didn't try Brute Force, as I have the game.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
The quote from last month's magazine is, "We've got the WORLD EXCLUSIVE on the biggest Xbox news since Halo 2!"

It seems they should have said "feature" instead of "news" and that would have accurately described their Deux Ex II article.

If we can all forgive George W. for his misplaced 16 words in the state of the union, we can forgive OXM for that one word.

Besides, Deux Ex II is probably the only game coming out this year that deserves all the hype it gets. There isn't an 2003 XBOX game whose greatness I am more confident about.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Those are some pretty big "if's" you're tossing around there, Keith, particularly that, ahem, last one. I'd assert there is far more involved than just "16 misplaced words," but that is a discussion for another forum...

Like many of the people here, I don't really see the OXM "exclusive" as an actual controversy. I just think it's funny. Magazines often hype upcoming issues, and the people who put the covers together often don't have anything to do with the people who create the actual content. Content, not hype about content, should be the real issue when judging a magazine.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I'm guessing you have the Japanese version? I've read many good things about it and can't wait to check the game out myself. I love fighting games and I totally missed the first Soul Caliber...

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
"It seems they should have said "feature" instead of "news" and that would have accurately described their Deux Ex II article."

I think the big news they were referring to is on the very last page of the current magazine (page #96). With big red letters spelling "GRAND" with a certain silhouette and a known background...I think this is the big news (more like tease) that they were talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks