What's new

New trend of videotaped TV shows being upconverted to HD (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only thing that I don’t understand is why they reduced the framerate from 30 FPS to 24 FPS.

How are you able to determine whether something is in 24 progressive frames-per-second (fps) and not 30 progressive fps?

(For example).

Are you playing the video frame by frame?

Are you reading the actual data encoded in the video stream by hex dumping each packet by hand, which the metadata states what the framerate is and whether it is progressive or interlaced?

For that matter, is the 30 progressive fps packet stream actually really encoding 60 interlaced frames-per-second ?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
How are you able to determine whether something is in 24 progressive frames-per-second (fps) and not 30 progressive fps?
If one has the ability to download from Amazon Prime, the file can be opened and identified as 24 progressive frames-per-second (fps). This is true of al lot of HD TV shows I've found on Prime. However, most of those are based on shows that were originally filmed, so 24 fps is logical if a new transfer was created. However, it is a bit odd for video-based show that originated at 30 fps to be changed to 24 fps.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I would not be bothered by the 30fps to 24fps as long as the transfer looks good.
The video content of the upscaled HD version of Night Court does look better than the DVDs based on whatever upscaling/AI processing it went through. However, when comparing the DVDs at 30 fps to the streaming at 24 fps, the DVDs do play smoother due to the higher fps. It's a bit of a catch-22. Possibly, one might get used to the lower fps after a while of viewing and prefer the slightly improved video of the HD streaming version.

I know I went back and forth for a while on MASH, whether or not to accept the faux widescreen and original laugh track in HD vs. the SD with correct AR and no laugh track. Eventually, I chose the HD version, the visual quality differences being too great to ignore, and I barely notice the laugh track and faux widescreen as an issue anymore.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I know I went back and forth for a while on MASH, whether or not to accept the faux widescreen and original laugh track in HD vs. the SD with correct AR and no laugh track. Eventually, I chose the HD version, the visual quality differences being too great to ignore, and I barely notice the laugh track and faux widescreen as an issue anymore.

(Going slightly offtopic on mash).

I didn't really watch mash in its original first run, other than some random episodes.

Watching it as an adult without much of any nostalgia, I found I preferred it without the laugh track.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
(Going slightly offtopic on mash).

I didn't really watch mash in its original first run, other than some random episodes.

Watching it as an adult without much of any nostalgia, I found I preferred it without the laugh track.
You aren't alone, many do. I've just found that the video improvements from a true HD transfer, for me, outweigh and impacts of the laugh track. For the first few episodes, the laugh track was noticeable, mostly because I was listening for it since I had read so much about it. Now I barely notice it. Also, it originally aired with the laugh track, not that I'm trying to promote it for accuracy, but just that it didn't bother me then, so why would it now.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

(For example).

Are you playing the video frame by frame?

Are you reading the actual data encoded in the video stream by hex dumping each packet by hand, which the metadata states what the framerate is and whether it is progressive or interlaced?

For that matter, is the 30 progressive fps packet stream actually really encoding 60 interlaced frames-per-second ?
Nothing so complicated. Apple TV box can stream all content in its native framerate, and pressing info on the monitor tells you the current framerate. But if you want to get really technical, there's an app called x-code which will let you unlock technical stats on Apple TV and you can get not only framerate but also refresh-rate (which can be different if the stream is encoded in one rate but programed to play back in another rate) and it will tell you the exact resolution of the streaming content as well.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
But if you want to get really technical, there's an app called x-code which will let you unlock technical stats on Apple TV and you can get not only framerate but also refresh-rate (which can be different if the stream is encoded in one rate but programed to play back in another rate) and it will tell you the exact resolution of the streaming content as well.

Is that a free app?

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Is there a master list of what older tv shows are in HD streaming that do not have a bluray yet ? Of course with the exception of IDOJ where the millcreek set sucks , And now can't even stream the HD versions .

Welcome back kotter really has me curious as its video taped , Sanford and son is on peacock and says HD . A lot fo the cable channels that claim HD usually look like junk but some of the streaming stuff seems ok . Not bluray but better then dvd .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks