What's new

Which modern current tv shows do you still buy on dvd? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
What is your luck with the Revenge dvds on your player/ television set up? On mine, whenever they show a wide angle shot or a helicopter shot of the city everything looks wavy--overviews of buildings and the marina and so on. All the stock footage looks like that to me. I noticed the same thing on the dvds for "Scandal," I don't know if it's a situation where ABC/Disney is being cheap or what's going on. I don't notice these same wavy effects on any other dvds...??

Whether Disney is being lazy and/or outright cheap, this goes back further in time. I have noticed this sloppiness in their dvds of older shows like Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Alias, etc ...

In the case of Desperate Housewives, try ripping the episodes from the dvds. It turns out the ripped vob (or mkv) files are smaller than similar rips of episodes from dvds of tv shows released by Universal (for example).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In more recent times, VEI has been going the path of smaller vob files per episode. (Mill Creek has always done things this way, in an even worse manner)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have noticed this sloppiness is easily covered up and/or glossed over on an old CRT (cathode ray tube) tv screen. (I took out my old CRT tv from storage earlier today).

Unfortunately this sloppiness is easily visible on a large flatscreen tv in a higher resolution.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I haven't picked up many uk shows on dvd (or bluray).

The only one I still watch is the original House of Cards.

At one point I thought about picking up the MI5 (Spooks) series dvd sets, but never got around to it.

Man I would love to have Spooks on disc. I did have an interesting conversation with a couple people from Europe who were baffled at the Title change. It turned into a fairly weird back and forth over local/regional phrases or words that were benign in one country but potentially and sometimes exceedingly offensive elsewhere.

I looked into the UK sets a couple years ago to get the original format and found many of them just plain OOP and going for obscene prices. Picking them on Ebay sounds like a Pirate Minefield as often happens. Even getting a full US set of seasons was basically impossible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even getting a full US set of seasons was basically impossible.

The only time I ever came across this opportunity, was when all the MI5 sets were being dumped at the local Costcos. I kinda regret not buying them at the time.

I also looked into the original uk versions, but it appeared they were largely out of print.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Another rant).

Frankly at this point in time (circa mid 2019), I find it somewhat sad and very depressing that the only tv on dvd titles left of interest to me, is stuff like NCIS or the Chicago (on NBC) franchises.

(Criminal Minds is ending later this year or next year, where I'll eventually pick up the remaining dvd season sets).

Just about everything else either turned to shit (ie. scifi/fantasy/superhero genre stuff) or went dvd-mod (or bluray-mod), or outright discontinued altogether. Compounding the selection are newer shows never being released on dvd/bluray at all, or abruptly discontinued or going dvd-mod after season 1 is released on dvd.

Back in the day, I thought stuff like NCIS, CSI, Criminal Minds, Law & Order, etc ... franchises were a complete waste of cash to buy on dvd (or bluray). In those days, I thought there was better stuff to buy on dvd such as the Sopranos, The Shield, etc ...

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Warner Archives has done a pretty good job at keeping many of the Bluray sets alive through the final season (Longmire most importantly), but they did apparently stop Izombie after S3 -- supposedly over some music rights issues with 1 or 2 episodes but i have my doubts.

Nice thing at least is the WAC BD are generally excellent pressed disc with good quality.

Unfortunately then you have a series like The Strain which has a US S1, foreign S2 and S3, but nobody to date has stepped up for S4
The Originals has 4 season on BD, but so far not the 5th. I'm torn b/w getting S5 on DVD or waiting for a reason sale for the VUDU Digital HD

Hopefully, WAC will continue and finish The 100

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks