What's new

New Toshiba SED Display (1 Viewer)

Ben Crouse

Agent
I'm surprised nobody has replied to this. It looks EXTREMELY promising to me!

Is anyone else as excited as me?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've known about SED for a few years now. I'm hoping they'll FINALLY have the product to show at CES this January. If it performs as good as it sounds like it should, and the price is right, it'll be devestating to plasma.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After reading various reports from CES, I will be watching the SED product very closely. Most reports said a 55" product will be out by Spring 2006.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'm hoping to see some on the floor at NAB2006, and I'm also hoping that it'll be price-competitive with plasma..

the second's gonna be a long shot, though.

Leo

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I bought a 42" Sony LCD RPTV in August and already I want something bigger. This new SED technology sounds amazing based on the IGN article. I'll definitely be holding off on buying a bigger set until I see what comes out later this year. If I can get a 55" 1080p panel for $3000 - $4000 or so, I'll be very tempted to upgrade.

Are there any burn in issues with SED? I like the idea of Plasma, but the burn in issues are a deal killer, since there are times where I like to use my current Sony set as a computer monitor.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if they are going to have front projector technology as well. Might be cheaper for a larger screen size. 100,000 to 1 contrast ratio must look amazing even on a large screen or wall.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
First, I'm not a professional with this display technology, but this is going on my conceptual understandings of how it works.

regards: Burn-in.

From what I understand, FED/SED displays should have a burn-in profile similar to good CRT direct view displays. It may be better; it may be worse. I don't know.

regards: projectors
This technology is not designed for projection. Think of it as a flat (thin) CRT with the geometry of an LCD or plasma. It's not good for micro displays (look at the dot pitch of a LCD projector, for example,) or high brightness. A FED/SED projector would likely make a conventional CRT projector look small.

Leo

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Something must have gotten lost in translation, because: "Huh?" Sounds like a dodge. I hope they get whatever problem they're having fixed.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
The issue of SED's delay has been extensively discussed at avsforums.

The most plausible theory for the delay is economics: only a minority of consumers can appreciate picture quality or value picture quality as a selection criteria when buying TV(which explains the epidemic of plasma/ LCD sales that started 3 years ago).

It stands to reason that if Toshiba is aiming for critical mass they have to release SED at a competitive price. Videophiles would pay the premium but the mums-and-dads market would not.

Toshiba is after the mum-and-dads market.

That's why they abandoned their flagship DVD player the SD9500 (which retailed throughout Europe and Australasia)- they could make more profits through volume sales of $100 dvd players.

At the rate LCD and plasma prices are falling, to quote a senior member at avs, "they can't make it at a price they can sell it at".

As much as i hate to say it , I won't be holding my breath waiting for SED

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.