What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks Jari,
I also heard there was a new 80GB PS3 coming this month and that it would have Metal Gear Solid 4 included. I was told this at Best Buy.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've been told all sorts of things at Best Buy. Pretty much anything more interesting than "that item is on this shelf over here" has often turned out to be a bald-faced lie.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm in.
The $100 gift card deal at WalMart (and my tax check) convinced me. Though I'd still encourage non-videofreaks to wait until Xmas.

My PS3 should arrive in a week.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

MGS4 "bundle" is indeed coming (e.g. IGN: MGS4 Bundle Announced ). Great way to buy PS3, if you ask me (it has also "Dual Shock 3"). MGS4 will be the "king of games".

But I personally doubt, that it´ll support PS2 games..

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Had Best Buy match the WalMart deal today.

Also used my Sony card, so I'll get a $100 credit on my statement.

And was able to use my BB Rewards card.

Overall, I'm now Blu with a PS3 for a net cost of about $220.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I just ordered a 40GB PS3 from Amazon.

Can I use it on a 240V power supply here in Fiji?

What I've read is though it is labelled as 120V, the actual PS inside is universal.

Or is it a case of different batches have different voltage power supply?

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Thought I understood audio back in the day. Not now.
Can you point me in the direction of proper audio settings....

Equipment :
PS3 connected via HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR705. Onkyo out to Oulaw Amp to 5.1 setup speakers.

I want the best/highest resolution audio output naturally.

PS3 setting - Should HDMI Audio Output format be on Linear PCM or Bitstream?

It shouldnt' matter the optical digital setting since that is not connected right?

Any other PS3 settings I should worry about?

For the Onkyo....
Which 'Listening Mode' is purest? There seem to be different ones available depending on what is sent to it.

And lastly, on Blueray's... can someone rank the order of fidelity from best to worst given multitudes of what my blueray's allow (i.e. what should I pick)?

-Dolby Digital Surround
-Dolby TrueHD 5.1
-5.1 Uncompressed (48kHz/24 bit)
-DTS HD 5.1
-PCM 5.1 (uncompressed) [is this the same as 2 up?]
-DTS HD High Resolution ES Audio
-5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX Audio

And so, on my Onkyo, should those symbols light up? and once again, the 'listening mode' to choose?

Thanks for a simple explanation to all this :)

Chris

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It should be Linear PCM. This will allow the PS3 to do the decoding of the advanced codecs and it will then send the audio as Multichannel audio to the Onkyo (which is what it will say on the display). The PS3 can't send the advanced codecs via bitstream to the receiver though I've never really understood why. It can send garden variety DD and DTS via bitstream, of course, as well as PCM 5.1.

In terms of the three best codecs, they'd have to be:

uncompressed PCM 5.1
DTS-HD Master Audio
Dolby TrueHD

The latter two are lossless codecs, always preferred to the lossy ones.

gobrigavitch

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Obrigavitch

PCM, DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are all lossless and all equivalent. They can only be output by the PS3 as linear PCM and will show on your receiver as multichannel PCM. Most new Blu-rays have one of these, and if present, should be selected as the audio. If one of these isn't present then pick the DD or DTS track of your choice. DD and DTS tracks other than the above can be output by bitstream to your receiver. Then your receiver can do whatever processing it wants. Many receivers are limited on the processing they can do to PCM vs bitstream, so you may want to select bitstream output for these lesser tracks. For my pioneer it really doesn't make any difference, but I don't think the Onkyo can apply PLIIx post processing to a PCM signal in which case bitstreaming would be prefferable (that's assuming you have a 7.1 setup)

I'm not really familiar with what listening modes your Onkyo has. Having said that for PCM you likely won't have many if any options to choose from. When bitstreaming DD or DTS you can apply PLIIx processsing and THX processing to the signal. THX processing can tame an overly bright disc and does some other things as well. I believe it also creates a 7 channel mix from 5 channels. PLIIx is the best way to create a 7 channel output from a 5 channel source. I don't believe the Onkyo's can apply this to PCM, but can apply it to bitstream.

I hope that helps.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Chris Souders:

I have a PS3 and an Onkyo 705. Set your PS3 to linear PCM output and use the THX listening mode on 705. Sounds great!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi folks

The Postman showed up this morning to my delight with the PS 3.

Absolutely fantastic news indeed.

What's the first Blu Ray disc I should buy ?

Will I be able to play my regular dvds ?

Any info appreciated ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks