What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I've got an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver and am thinking about getting a PS3 as my Blu Ray player. Anybody else have this combo? If so, are you having any problems? Will this combo give me lossless audio?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Because I am afraid of "bricking" a new PS3 I was wondering how long it will be before the ones on the store shelves have the 2.0 profile firmware factory installed?

I really want to buy one but am afraid I will get it home and have to spend time and worry over getting it upgraded.

Don't get me wrong, I am a techie. I upgrade firmware in our products all the time. But I have also bricked things before. I have the tools in our lab to recover one of products that was bricked, but I wont be able to recover from a bricking a ps3 at home.

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
Scott-S,

If you have a wireless network at your house there is really nothing to worry about. The firmware update downloads and installs by simply selecting the action from a menu. I haven't heard of anyone bricking their PS3 by doing it this way. Seems there would have to be a problem with the system anyway for that to happen.

Even if there is an interruption during the download, that shouldn't cause a bricking. Only if the installation is interrupted could a problem occur, I believe. Anyway, the ease of receiving frequent firmware updates is one of the big pluses for the PS3. You want to take advantage of that, even if the unit off the shelf is 2.0.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am just waiting for my magic bullet tax check to come, then I am going to finally buy a PS3. I was just hoping to not have immediately worry about upgrading the minute I take it out of the box.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, apparently, I didn't quite brick my PS3/40GB -- or maybe I did depending on what you mean by that ;) -- in my recent trouble w/ the internal HDD. It does seem like some pretty bad things will have to happen in order to truly brick your PS3 beyond hope of an easy restore.

From what I can tell, the PS3 seems to at least download the software to your HDD first before actually installing it -- pretty much like how it's typically done w/ software updates on a regular computer.

In my case, I fixed the problem w/ a new HDD installation. Didn't even need to do anything special to restore the system (and just about all my settings other than a couple things in the web browser software and maybe whatever saved games on the HDD).

I wouldn't worry about bricking a new PS3. Just set it up and do a software update as your first priority and then enjoy. Yeah, I'm also not too fond of updating software w/ bleeding edge stuff despite being a programmer and all, but I wouldn't worry about it for a brand new PS3. If anything, if something's actually wrong w/ the PS3 (that might cause a problem w/ updates), you'd probably want to find out asap so you might be able to return it for a replacement or something.

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Yep, that's exactly how it's done. I *think* that after it downloads the update file it waits for you to press a button before actually updating the OS, but I don't recall for certain.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This is true and it´s the same thing with e.g. Toshiba. With some of the Toshiba firmwares (not with PS3, though), the firmware download just "freezed" in the middle, so I had to re-boot the whole player. No problem.

So yes, the download have to be 100% successful/complete, before the player actually installs it.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I believe it upscales them also, like the SD DVDs.. Not fully sure here. I have to say that I haven´t played much PS2-games with my PS3...

Of course, this only applies to certain models (e.g. my 60gb PS3), since the newer models (40gb) doesn´t have support for the old PS2-games..

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

The PS3 indeed upscales PS2 games, but you have to be aware that exactly TWO games are 16x9 enchanced (God of War 2, and one other whose name escapes me). Further, literally zero games properly send out the appropriate flag to the player, which means you will need to not only set your PS3 to stretch, but your TV as well. Further, the game itself also needs a widescreen setting in its own menu, and ultimately the image will still be cropped.

The end result is that PS2 games look pretty poor on PS3 on a newer TV, at least in my opinion, but at least slightly better than playing them on the PS2 on the same TV. On my 46" Aquos, Final Fantasy XII looks merely playable, and again in my opinion, looks poor in anything but 4:3 mode.

cheers!

Josh

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, have searched this thread for a trouble shooting postings and found only 4 postings but it did not pertain to my problem, as of yesterday for some reason or another the PS3 will not pass through the video just the audio on the DVD through my Onkyo 705 strictly using HDMI.

Cannot get any response from the PS3 as far as Video, I can hear the movie and the controller sounds of the PS3 but zip as far as video display or any Video display from the PC.

At first thought that it was my PJ so hooked it up to another DVD player and the PJ showed the movie with no problem. What could be the problem???

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Last night, I hooked my new PS3 up to my Onkyo 705, and had no video/audio issues. In fact, I was surprised to see that the audio delay problems which plague my HD broadcasts (and HD-DVDs to a lesser extent) are virtually non-existent on the PS3.

I just loved the fact that I could hook the PS3 up, download the latest system update, and instantaneously have a profile 2.0 blu ray player that could decode DTS-MA onboard.

And I was also pleasantly surprised to see my PS3 fit physically well into my audio system.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator

Since you mentioned "the appropriate flag", I wanted to ask a basic question - does this flag exist on video DVDs and BD discs? In other words, if I put a 4:3 movie in a PS3 to play on my 16:9 TV (through HDMI), will it automatically know to display it as 4:3 video with bars on the side? And then when I put a widescreen movie in, will automatically go back to 16:9?

Also, I talked to someone at a local store and he said that on June 12 there will be a new version of the 80G player out which will have 4 USB slots and will play PS2 games. Does anyone know if this is just a repackaging of the original 80G player?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I'm not sure if Josh was talking about the same flag since he was talking about video games, but yes, DVDs do have this flag, but unfortunately, many of them do not have it encoded correctly to be useable in practice. You will find some non-anamorphic DVDs have the flag set correctly and some not.

AFAIK, BD doesn't have this notion of anamorphic vs non-anamorphic -- it's *all* 16x9, and 4x3 OAR content would just be authored/encoded w/ pillarbox included (much like widescreen movies were letterboxed for 4x3 formats like VHS and LDs).

_Man_

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Did you set the video output of the PS3 to HDMI?
Does your PJ support 1080p over HDMI or does it support only 1080i over DVI?

I'm asking the second question because I was reading on another forum that the 705 will not pass a 1080i signal through the DVI port to a 1080i system. Apparently, the 705 will only pass a 1080p signal over DVI.
Seems screwy to me, but the fellow that reported it seemed to be having the same problem as you: sound but no picture. If your projector can accept a 1080p signal over DVI or HDMI then the problem I'm describing would not apply.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I want to replace my 40 GB HDD with a 250 GB drive. Is there any particular speed HD that i have to use (i.e. 5400 rpm, 3.0 GBS or 1.5GBS)?

Thanks People

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Standard (laptop size) 2.5" 5400rpm S-ATA should be fine -- I believe the one that comes w/ built-in is a Seagate 5400rpm. I'd recommend the Western Digital Scorpio myself since it seems to run a fair bit cooler -- claims to use as little power (and run as cool) as a 4500rpm despite being a 5400rpm drive. I replaced my dead(?) original Seagate w/ one of those 120GB WD Scorpios.

_Man_

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Hey thanks for the quick reply! One more question. Can i clone my current drive so i can keep my downloads and game saves?

Thanks,
Dalton

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Basically no. You can copy your game saves e.g. to the memory stick, but the actual games/demos/etc you have to download again (if you want new HD to the PS3).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I personally haven´t heard anything about this... We need a proper link or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks