What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

GordoH

Auditioning
I have my PS3 connected to my Sony 51" HD RTPV via component and analog input. Also, I have the PS3 connected to my Onkyo HT-R500 via optical. Both the TV and the receiver have no HDMI inputs. Anyone know if the PS3 can output both analog audio from the TV speakers and digital audio from the receiver simultaneously in this setup? Thanks...

Gordon

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Keeping up-to-date on the new PS3 firmware 2.3?

PS3 2.3 firmware problems with certain DTS-HD MA 7.1 decoding/downconversion to 5.1.

DTS insider explains the 7.1 back surround problem with certain New Line & Lionsgate discs in Post #693 @ AVS on the "PS3 Firmware 2.3x - Master Thread".
Paul

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I read over that but I'm not sure I entirely understand what's going on. This is what I'm getting;

For most 7.1 sound mixes, the extra 2 surround channels are mixed for rear placement, so you would have 2 Side surrounds and 2 Rear surrounds. This is how, like was mentioned on AVS, every 7.1 setup I've seen is done.

Apparently some New Line and Lionsgate DTS-MA titles are mixed so that the 2 extra surrounds should emit from the sides and not the rear?

In the case of the PS3, (and only the PS3?) it chooses to downmix these specific titles' extra "side surrounds" into the existing surround channels?

That's as much as I understood. If that's the case, I have to say I'd agree with that enough, though I doubt there's any reason why Sony couldn't give an alternative if that's what people want. The only problem I have with any of it is New Line and Lionsgate, what the fuck are they doing mixing non-standard surrounds in the first place? Are we suppose to redesign our theater setups on a title by title basis now? Morons.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
One last side-topic comment on Live Free Or Die Hard.

OK, so I borrowed the 2-disc from the library. Boy did it make me mad. There were about 75 F-bombs, exactly ZERO of which added anything to the movie. Even the "yippie-ki-ay" line felt forced. If they wanted a PG-13 movie, they could've just changed all those lines in the script before shooting it and nobody would've batted an eye. If there was enough blood to earn an R rating, then it was really borderline. I doubt that the PG-13 version had any substantive violence cuts.

What a stupid waste.

At any rate, the movie was decent, but not anything I need to own.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Newbie here to Blu Ray, I've read a few posts on this thread and will be reading more of it. I am considering a PS3.

One thing that I'm trying to understand is the machine's ability to play PS2 games. Forgive me if it's already been discussed, from what I thought I understood, the 40gb version is supposed to be backward compatible for PS2 games, via hardware.

I saw a 40gb PS3 at Costco today and the product description card satated it was not backward compatible and won't play PS2 games.

Can someone clarify this? Perhaps it has to do with 40gb PS3 built after a certain date? Thanks! Nelson

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
IIRC, only the 20GB and 60GB models will handle PS1 and PS2 games. You'll have to look for one secondhand or just buy a PS2 in addition to the PS3 (getting a PS2 will probably be cheaper and easier).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the 80 g will do ps2 games but it is an emulator not hardware, or something to that effect.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

At least with the first US 60gb PS3s (I have US-model), the PS2-support was on the "hardware"-side. Euro-versions (edit: 60gb, 40gb-model doesn´t have PS2-support) got "emulator" instead. No big deal really (let´s face it; how many people really play these old PS2-games with their PS3s?), but just pointing out...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would suggest just holding onto your old PS2 if you really want to play PS2 games (for more than just a rare occasion). Even if your choice of PS3 offers 100% backward compatibility, I'm not sure it's a good idea to wear it out, etc. playing lots of PS2 games. Just because it can doesn't mean it's always a good idea to use it for everything. :D Besides, I'm not sure how much electricity the PS2 uses, but maybe the PS3 eats enough power over the PS2 to justify keeping your old PS2, instead of selling it, etc, if you do indeed plan to spend lots of time playing PS2 games (on top of the wear-and-tear factor).

Of course, if your old PS2 had just died, then I guess that's a different story...

_Man_

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

..say what? ;)

Electronic equipments are meant to be "used"..

If your PS3 can support PS2, of course use PS3 to *everything* (BD, DVD, PS3 games, PS2 games, photos, CDs, MP3s, DivX, etc). These things don´t break (if they break, they´re faulty)

My personal "problem" is (very minor, though, since I still have Euro PS2), that since I have US PS3 (which is "NTSC only" for SD DVD/PS2), I can´t play my old PS2 games (which are all "PAL only") - even when my PS3 supports PS2-games.. (confusing? :D )

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I don't know about that. The PS3 is no longer just a game console, so depending on your priorities, it may well make sense to use it for what it actually does best and save the rest for some other gear you already own. For instance, it can play redbook CDs, but I have better components for that and would rather not wear out the disc transport doing that.

Remember my recent problem? My PS3's 40GB drive seems to have gone bad and needed replacement. No, it probably has nothing to do w/ how much "wear" my family has put on the PS3 (or maybe it does for all I know), but the built-in drive doesn't run very cool -- and maybe it never goes to sleep while the system is active -- and might have its useful life shortened for the usual reasons for instance. That's just one particular item that can fail in the PS3.

And while one might decide that the $$$-cost/risk-vs-convenience/use/entertainment involved is just fine and perfectly acceptable, don't forget that cost is not just $, but also wasted time/effort if/when something fails.

Anyway, just some things to consider before everyone jumps too hard on the "swiss army knife" bandwagon of the PS3. ;) :D Yeah, if I have a few PS2 games that I want to play on occasion, it would certainly be nice to play them on the PS3, if possible. But if I plan on playing PS2 games a whole lot, then I'd rather stick w/ an actual PS2, if I still have one...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yea well i bought my ps3 60 to use.
it is etter then the ps2 and better then any cd player i have, well te xa1 is probably better at cd but the ps3 does sacd the xa1 doesn't.

i'm not going to have a different component for every thing i watch and listen too or play.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That's fine and good for *you*. I didn't say *everyone* should not use his/her PS3 to play PS2 games, LOL. I was just pointing out the pitfalls of relying too much on the PS3 to do everything just because it can.

BTW, my PS3 doesn't do SACD. ;) And even if it does, I doubt it can do better than my similar priced Denon, especially since I don't have a prepro that can handle SACD via HDMI (assuming that's what some PS3's do). If your PS3 only does SACD via its stereo analog output, then I seriously doubt it can compete w/ any decent standalone player for SACD playback.

Anyway, to each his/her own I guess...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

reALly? that many.
i thought that pg13 allowed for 1 maybe 2 F's otherwise an r rating.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the PS2 game feedback guys. Well, my PS2 is still working and I agree that it makes sense to keep using it. Though it would be nice if a PS3 could also play them.

I also have sensitivity to using the PS3 for so many other functions. I once killed a PS2 from playing GTA2. I guess the constant access to the drive caused the head to missalign. I found a website with info on how to adjust the laser back, but I haven't fixed it yet. I bought a second one.

If I'm paying that much for a PS3, I'd rather not wear the drive mechanism out playing games and use it only for BD, so it's a very expensive game console. My preference is for one machine for one purpose. Too bad cause I'm really interested in playing the new upcoming Gran Turismo 5 and the new GTA looks like fun.

Does the PS3 load the game from the disc onto the HD and play it from the HD? Or does it play the game from the disc? Maybe it will make me feel better if it plays from the HD.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I'm not too sure, but I suspect it does at least load certain parts of the (PS3) games onto the HDD and play from there. It probably depends on the game maker how that actually works out. If there are some great PS3-specific games you want to play, I wouldn't let my cautionary suggestion stop you though. Afterall, presumably, you'd be using it for what it does best in that case.

Also, when considering all this, don't forget that you do have to pay a premium for the extra feature of PS2 gaming on the PS3. There is no free lunch there. The PS3/80GB costs ~$100 more than the PS3/40GB last I checked. Yeah, you do get certain other bonuses too (like SACD playback), but if the only diff for you is the PS2 gaming, it might not make too much sense to sell your old PS2 just so you can pay the extra ~$100 for a PS3 that gives you ~80% backward compatibility (or whatever it really is) toward PS2 gaming.

FWIW, I should also emphasize that part of my own specific concern has to do w/ how much my entire family uses the PS3 since I'm not a single working guy w/ limited time on hand to use it. In the past, I've had a couple fairly reliable Toshiba DVD players get worn out w/in several years time just because my then-preschool kids spent so much time putting them through their paces (on top of our own frequent viewing routine). It really all depends...

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the insights Man! I'll ponder the options. It does make sense to keep my PS2 to play PS2 games. I forget, the PS3 is designed to play games. The ability to play BD discs is the delightful bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks