What's new

New Receiver or New Processor with Multiple Amps (1 Viewer)

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Ok here is my problem. I am buy new HT gear and I have a Denon 1804 receiver that I bought two years ago.

My setup will look something like:
- Paradigm cc-390 center channel (huge center channel)
- Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts
- Paradigm Titan rear sounds
- 2 X MFW 15" subwoofers (powered)

So what do I do now? My Denon is rated at 90W RMS/channel and Paradigm said that the speakers can take a lot more than that.

So what are my options? Should I set the fronts/center/rears to "small" so less bass goes to them so more power is available for the highs?

I also hear about buying a pre-amp processor then buying a separate (basic) amp for fronts and one for surrounds. If this is recommended where do I find these pre-amps?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Vince, I should warn you before you get started, this hobby gets really addictive and expensive once you enter the world of separates :)

To begin with, start looking into brands such as Rotel, Arcam, NAD, and Cambridge Audio. Many on this forum will recommend Outlaw Audio or Emotiva, both of which sell Internet-direct and are very reasonably priced. You would need to purchase a pre-pro, along with a 5-channel poweramp, and of course interconnect cables.

A more reasonably priced option may be to upgrade your receiver to a higher-end model from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite or Onkyo, then use the pre-outs to connect a separate poweramp. With this option you could always choose to purchase a poweramp to drive your front speakers (for instance two Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, rated at 200 watts, $325 each), while the receiver drives the remaining speakers. Later if you choose you could purchase a multichannel poweramp to drive the remaining speakers.

To get you started, what are your goals, and what is your budget?

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
another thing to remember is the affordable separates like you or I could get,Rotel etc,wont have the latest up to date sound processes.I am about to upgrade to a receiver so I can get the new Dolby Hd,and DTS hd sound capabilities.I checked the latest Rotel,and nothing they have has these capabilities,,most of the lower end processors are about a year behind technology wise than the big name Receiver companys,Pioneer,Marantz etc.I will most likely get the Marantz 7200 model ,as it has all the latest Dolby HD and DTS hd,

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Vince, adding to Alon's response, set all speakers to "Small" and try the crossover around 80-100 Hz. You might experiment with the crossover, but resist the temptation to set it lower than that. Let the sub do its job. Just always have all speakers on "Small".

I was thinking maybe the 1804 has pre-outs at least for the front channels. If so, you can get a more powerful amp for them. You can never really have too much power.

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Ya I'll try that. I'll set my amp to "small" and not let anything low go the speakers. I wonder if that means I shouldn't buy a tower speaker to match my huge center channel because there is no bass going to it anyways?

I'll hold out until Dolby Hd and DTS Hd is more affordable and possibly buy a pre-amp processing until with some high-power, inexpensive amps from ebay.

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Thanks for the help guys. I have another question though. If an amplifier (such as mine) is rated 90w RMS/channel, can I get more juice out of it if I am only running, say two channels? The reason that I ask is that I can buy a similar amp with the same power, but it has pre-outs so I can connect the two. Is there any advantage to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks