What's new

New NIN news (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's definitely not like previous stuff, but after about 10+ full listens, most of the songs have already grown on me. Kind of like, the first time I heard The Hand That Feeds, I didn't like it, but after about 2 or 3 listens over the last week or so (radio and streamed), I already found myself repeating it in my head. I wouldn't call it the best work they've done, but I still like it.

The funny thing is, though my daughter (16) isn't a big NIN fan, she actually likes this album.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I think it's pretty good and it is definately growing on me.

The more I listen the more I like ;)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Can't seem to find the dual disc anywhere. Grrr.

But I did see the Downward Spiral DD at a local HMV... for $55 CDN. Lol. Glad I found the SACD somewhat cheaper.

Martin.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Like everyone else, the more I listen the more it grows on me. I've listened to the album at least 30 times now. Unfortunalty most of the time it is while driving in very stressful traffic that requires a lot of attention.

So far I definitely have to agree with Kevin T about the album being "very emotionless and uninspired." I hope I can get that bond with it, but it just wasn't an instantaneous response like it was with the other albums. I wrote a big long post about this about a week ago. I just didn't post it cuz I figured it would just be viewed as a flame to the new album, which I didn't want.

I've found in the other major albums that they project a lot of emotion, and the album flows more as a whole than individual songs. You could really connect with Trents own personal life struggles in many of his songs. I've actually wondered if I just haven’t matured enough to connect with Trents messages in the new album, or if I have matured to the point that I don't connect with music the way I did when I was a teen. But the more I listen to it I just keep seeing this release to be more of a rock album.

I know Trent was after something different, but so far it is definitely missing that connection you got with his previous releases. Don't get me wrong, I love the new album. It has his sound, it's just different. With the teaser he put up in Feb, a condensed version of "beside you in time", it really got my hopes up. That is the NIN I was after. The same NIN I remember seeing on headbangers ball in the late 80's/early 90's...filled with angst, sorrow...pure unadulterated raw emotion.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, i just listened to the album in surround. i must say, the surround experience is much better than the two channel. the album is starting to grow on me, but it's not the instant connection i'm used to that aaron talked about. like aaron, i had high hopes with the teaser, but when i downloaded "the hand that feeds", i was a tad disappointed. here's to hoping trent re-releases his entire catalog in surround.

kevin t

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had my first bad experience with dual disc yesterday... One of my players really doesn't like the additional thickness of DD and it destroyed the DVD side of my With Teeth. :thumbsdown: Needless to say, I expect I will only be buying DD versions for something I REALLY want to hear in surround...

AricB

Second Unit
John, how did it destroy it? I'm curious what kind of damage? and what kind of player, or loading mechanism? slot loading, tray, carousel?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Incase you guys havent noticed yet, With Teeth Dual Disc has a DVD-Audio layer. and the sound it phenominal. I just wish they would re-released The Fragile as a Hi Rez multi-channel title already.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a Sony 222ES, carousel. The mechanism must have zero clearance and it put a large band of scratches in the center of the disc when it was clamping/picking up the disc. My Denon 2200 played it fine on both sides prior to that, as well as my carousel Sony CA70ES and my HP CDR/W in my PC. The CD layer is OK, its just the DVD side that was scratched. I'm going to see if they will exchange it later today, though I'm pretty sure I threw the receipt away... I've had issues with cracked spindles before for certain Universal SACDs and they exchanged them for the same thing without a receipt, so I think I will be OK.

Yes, listened to the DVD-A layer that day. Sounds great. Even the DVD-V surround sounds pretty good. :emoji_thumbsup: I'll just have to stick with the DVD player for this one.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The gal complained about it, saying "No exchanges without the receipt, even for the same item." I told her she was crazy and probably had that "Get me a manager" look... so she asked someone else, and they said "OK, we'll do it just this ONE time." I have to say, I am less than impressed with DD so far.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
John, I'm not really surprised about the lack of enthusiam for the exchange. It's not a deffective disc, but a disc that your equipment ruined. I'm glad you were successful though.

I finally had a chance to listen to the DD last night, my first time listening to the album. I'm impressed. It is not what I expected, but I found it surprisingly soulful. A great logical and forward moving step for NIN. I put it ahead of Fragile, and album I'm yet to fully get my head around, it's just so sprawling, but in a good way. I don't think he will top "Downward Spiral" a disc I consider to be one of the best produced pieces of music ever recorded, period. On the 5.1 on "With Teath", I didn't find it as cohesive as Downward spiral, but my familiarity with that record is surly afecting my judgement. I found the vocals to be too squarly centered from the rest of the music in the 5.1 mix, becoming seperated from the rest of the music. Can't wait to sit down and give it some more spins!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I thought I was in the same boat as you Martin. I found it buried behind the standard editions on the new release rack at Future Shop. Unfortunately they weren't priced the same as the standard edition, as can sometimes happen with these when they are all mixed by lazy employess.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BB had them mixed in as well. Only on the relese day did they have them separated, up front in the "new releases" area; CD one on the left, DD on the right. I had to go LOOK through all of them for a replacement, and I think I got the last one in that store. The DD version was $1 more than the CD only. I ripped the CD layer so I could use it in any of my other players.

EvanES

Auditioning
I can't get the DD to play the 5.1 songs. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but my other DVDA's play fine. I thought it was defective so I took it back to BB. They played it on one of their systems and it was fine. So I'm going to mess with it today as I'm anxious to hear in 5.1

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I finally listened to the DVD-A mix. Very nice. Some people say it's too conservatively mixed to the front, but I thought it was very nicely balanced between the front and surrounds.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I finally was able to listen to With Teeth a few times. I was majorly dissappointed teh first time, not bad but nothing stood out.

However after a few more times the sound is striking with my ears. I love the song With Teeth. I just wish a couple songs had better lyrics and I don't think Trent has to rhyme everything.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
About that NIN live DVD, you have to hit the number seven on the remote at about the 11:20 mark of Head Like A Hole.

What if your remote doesn't have a seven? My remote for the DVD player has no numbers at all. Why do they hide stuff? Hiding stuff on DVDs sucks! I'd love to see the content if I could get to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks