What's new

New NIN news (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

No problem man! :emoji_thumbsup: Yeah, Trent's 2ch has always been pretty amazingly well mixed, and the surround on TDS and the And All That Could Have Been DVD were great. So though I wasn't bowled over on the first run through, I know it will still be a great album and I can't wait to hear it in surround too. I haven't been disappointed with one album yet...:)

NP: The Hand That Feeds NIN :D

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
The two channel imaging in With Teeth is VERY impressive and reminded me a lot of The Fragile and Still in this regard. I can only imagine what the 5.1 will be like. Trent commented on it recently and said that if you liked TDS you'll be blown away by With Teeth. He said they went the extra mile with the new one compared to TDS. That is scary considering how good the 5.1 mix is on TDS. I think the only other M/C mix that is that aggressive is Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Funny that the lead guy of The Flaming Lips helped do the 5.1 mix like Trent did. I hope to see more artists personally oversee or help with the mixes. It seems to make them a lot better.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
speaking of good 5.1 mix's. does anyone know whne the new Porcupine Tree DVD-A comes out? or if its out, have you heard it.? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

AricB

Second Unit
Andrew,
Do you think that place out in the burbs here might have it out before tuesday?? or do they not carry dualdiscs and dvd-audio's?

thanks

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Aric,

I don't think they carry audio only DVD's. They have a pretty good selection of concerts and music videos, but I don't think they deal with audio only.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I see your point. and I understand.

I would prefer Hi Rez as well as such on most dvd-a's and sacd's. But I love multichannel music more than anything. I will never listen to a cd side of a dual disc, if anything I listen to mp3s everywhere anyway (i.e. car, home, work). so Im not concerned with its errors, not that I feel its right to manufacture a flawed product. But Basically, if they release a redbook cd of With Teeth, and a Dual disc in multichannel, Im getting the dual, despite its flaws. IMO the positives outweigh the negatives in that case. But I understand where your comming from, its not a good enough product to put an end to the dvd-a/sacd format war.

AricB

Second Unit
I'm with Jean, I'll be buying it, and may rip a cd from the DD, but i dont take duals, DVD-a's or sacd's with me anywhere, all mp3 thanks to my new ipod, and the Alpine Ai Net ipod controller for my car...

It is not the best product out there, and its unfortunate of it's flaws, but i'd rather have some 5.1 than no 5.1.

mikeMarz

Grip
Anyone in the Eastern MN area looking to buy used copies of nearly all the halos? I'm in Western WI, (Near Somerset, New Richmond to be exact) but can't drive anywhere other than to my school in New Richmond, due to my incarceration at the St. Croix County Jail's work release program. For a complete list of all the used cd's I have, e-mail me at [email protected] Most are priced between $1-5, nearly all with no scratches (or even fingerprints)

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
When I picked the new CD today I was a bit disappointed with the packaging. Then I went to the website listed inside the front flap. You can download a PDF document with artwork and lyrics. Trent has an article on the NIN website about why we went this route.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I made the mistake trying to get With Teeth DualDisc at SuperTarget last night. The signs are said dualdisc but no mention of dualdisc like TDS had. I asked a clerk who was certain it was the dual so I told him I would only buy it if he opened it and it was what he said. It was the CD version. I am off to CC or BB to get it tonight.

AricB

Second Unit
it is clearly labeld as dual disc like the TDS and others, you'll know it when you see it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My BB had them all lumped together. Though the packaging was very similar, it was very clear which one was which.

So what did everyone think of the surround versions? I thought everything was very well placed, just like TDS. The right amount of surround used to expand the experience, without making it sound "added". I particularly liked the effect on Beside You in Time and Right Where It Belongs. I like the still frames that randomly pop up when it goes from track to track on the DVD-A. *edit The guitar at the beginning of Getting Smaller, when it goes all around the room, is pretty cool too :emoji_thumbsup:

When I first listened to the streamed version, I thought the highs were a bit rolled off and wrote it off as compression, but even the DVD-A version seemed to have a bit of the same thing. The sound quality is great, but the highs seemed a bit dialed down, perhaps intentionally.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
damnit, I had ordered this with Amazon with the new Dave Matthews dual disc, and the Mudvayne one. But since DMB's isnt released, mine isnt shipping until 2 weeks. How shitty is that? Im a bit pissed off at that. But I soppose its my own fault.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i am still undecided on this album. i've listened to it three times already (2 channel only - will do multichannel this weekend). the entire album just sounds too forced and contrived for me. it's almost as if trent released an album because he felt he needed to and not because he wanted to. maybe i'm missing something, but the album is just so flat to me. very emotionless and uninspired. i dunno. never thought i'd feel this way about a nin ablum.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks