What's new

Need updated advice on current technologies (1 Viewer)

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
This Denon receiver has some features that I don't completely understand. For example, 2 Zone capability. How does that work? Can I listen to the same music in the BR as in the LR? Can I coordinate them somehow? And what about these wireless speakers I see? Lee at OneCall said he doesn't think they will ever develop a wireless speaker without distortion, static, etc. I don't agree with that. Whats the skinny?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Zone 2 allows you to listen to a 5.1 system in one room and a stereo setup in another. In other words, you can be watching your favorite BluRay movie in the livingroom while the little lady is listening to the cd player in the kitchen or out on the patio. It uses the un-used Back Surround channels. But most Zone 2 setups will only work with a two channel analog connection so the cd player would have to be connected with the red/white analog stereo cables. Most receivers (if not all) will not down-convert a digital signal to analog for output through the Zone 2. I'm not sure if you can configure Zone 2 to the same input as the Main Zone. The Main Zone would have to be analog as well. I suppose you could find a way to do it. So it's different than the old fashioned A/B speaker selector which speakers A and B would have to output the same thing. I'm not real knowledgable about wireless speakers because I think good wireless speakers are a ways away yet. There are sum highly respected name brand wireless sub woffers out there but I'm not sure how well they work. Distortion isn't as much of a problem in a sub as in a regular speaker. Besides wireless speakers will still need a power cord. Or a lot of batteries.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
OK, next issue. Network streaming of internet radio stations. I have asked people about this and it just seems their explanations are unclear. I got the 2112 in part due to this feature. It has a WAN jack on the back panel. I continually ask the question "Can I connect it to my wireless home network?" and this is where it starts to get weird. I have a wireless home network in the house, and when I bought my first Blu Ray player and got the WAN adapter, all I had to do was plug that adapter into the back of the player and jump on the network and it was fine, right from the first try. So, why can't I just plug an adapter into the 2112 and achieve the same thing? How about SiriusXM radio which I really like.

raverell

Agent
Real Name
Richard Averell
Oh and another one for you. I have ALOT of old albums from the 60s and 70s which are still in pretty good shape. So much great music, alot of which is irreplaceable today because it is out of print. And I remember seeing years ago turntables that plugged into your computer via a USB port so you could record the album onto your computer. I am sure one was a Numark turntable and you were able to record at a faster speed than the actual time it took to play the album. What do you know about this? I'd love to get digital copies of that music. And I was always very careful about taking care of them. I pulled a few out just to take a look at them and they were in surprisingly good shape. What do you know?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Unfortunately you're venturing into territories I really don't know anything about. Hooking up a receiver to a computer, wifi, internet and network capability, etc. I haven't ventured into those areas yet so I have no idea how wifi works. And I get my Sirrius-XM from Dish Network. USB turntables are pretty popular. I've seen 2-3 different brands in the stores and they semm to work very well. And would you have to play the album at higher speed as well? Not sure how good that would be for the disc. I guess it wouldn't hurt it any. I'm still using my old H/K CDR-20 :blush: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks