What's new

Need to repair CRT (1 Viewer)

Kyle Kuklinski

Auditioning
I have a Samsung 42" widescreen rear projection HDTV. We've had it about 15 months, and one day, the screen went blue. We sent it for repairs, and were told that the red CRT tube is blown & needs to be replaced. I was told the part is only $180, but they wanted to charge over $700. Is there any way i can make this repair or get it repaired for a lot cheaper?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Who quoted the over $700 price?

Your local independent TV repair guy would beat that by a lot I would think. Then again, that display may be particularly labor intensive on such a replacement.

Matt Bahnson

Auditioning
CRT replacement is a very labor intensive task, and I'm very surprized you got a quote on a CRT replacement for less than $400 for just the part. But also consider this: CRT's wear just like any other component, they get used a lot and end up showing signs of wear. Let's say your red gun goes dead...and you replace the red gun. You now have a BRAND new red gun and a 15 month old green gun and a 15 month old blue gun. You think your picture might be a bit strong in the red ? If you are planning on replacing these CRT's yourself...first of all...good luck, this is a tough job. Second, I hope you'll consider replacing all three guns. You won't regret it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
With prices the way they are today... I do generally tell people if a CRT is gone, time to move on.

I am considered "Qualified Service Personel" and I don't think I am up to that task with the time involved in it.

I mean, I have seen quality 60" displays CRT RPTV go for under a grand new on sales.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
If the warranty period is one year, I would call Samsung and complain until they cover the repair cost fully. I've had great success in having repairs covered before, and it only takes a phone call to their customer service line. Just mention how disappointed you were that the TV died just out of warranty, and how happy you were with the set, etc.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think that standard warranty was only 90 days though.

But hey, they can only say no, certainly worth a shot, agreed.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Another point is that his set is only fifteen months old. Unless he has driven the set in torch mode, fifteen months is a pittance. I agree that Samsung should be approached on this one.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
If you have to pay all of the $700, cut your loses and get an new set. If you are thinking about replacing all three guns, cut your loses and move on.

Call Samsung and see if they will work with you, if not, cut your loses and get an new set.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like a faulty red tube, which may be covered under warranty. Unless you have hideously abused the set, I see no need to replace still-good B and G tubes. Grayscale will be set after replacing a tube (or should be) so there is only the need to replace the defective/worn tube. Replacing a CRT tube and setting up the display again from scratch is not at all a DIY thing for a beginner.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
A shorted tube tends to be a random failure and replacing all three would probably be overkill. A complete CRT alignment can be an unbelievably complicated on some sets. Hitachi estimates that it can take 8-12 hours (after you had experience doing them!) on some of their sets.

That said, do you have a wife or girlfriend that can call and complain to their customer relations department? My late wife (and some of my customers) have had an uncanny ability to convince manufacturers to accomodate even unreasonable requests for repair satisfaction.

(and your request for some accomodation is not unreasonable)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks