What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need help with sound level meter (1 Viewer)

Rick22

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
I purchased a analog sound level meter from radio shack I read the instruction manual but I am having a hard time figuring it out how to use it. I am not good with instructions. I want to use this meter to calibrate my home theatre speakers. Can somebody tell me what to do step by step or recommand me a website that may have these instructions.

thanks

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Instructions.

It seems fairly accurate, though I calibrate my sub to 72, instead of 75 dB--allegedly this makes up for the meter's lack of sensitivity.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Been a while since I used mine so this is from my best (which isn't always that good) memory. Set the rating to "C" and the level to around 70 and the other choice (CRS kicking in here) to slow. IIRC, setting the level at 70 will allow you to balance frequencies in the 60-80dc range. Run the test tones on your AVR (after setting the distances in the receiver) and balance all five (or six or seven) speakers so that the meter reads 75db for each. The exact number doesn't matter as much (70, 80, 75, etc) just that they all match.

That's a really rough guess on my part....but I think it's on the right track. Guess I ought to give myself a refresher course by buying some new stuff :D

Mort

Rick22

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
thanks for your help, I have gotten all my speakers calibrated. I have one more question how do you calibrate the subwoofer.

thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The exact same way you calibrate your other speakers. If you want to plot your sub's frequency response and maybe use that to determine if you need a parametric equalizer, that's a completely different process. I used my SPL meter, test tones, an Excel spreadsheet with the RS SPL meter corrections built it and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as my EQ. Takes about 30 minutes and annoys the heck out of everyone in the house.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks