What's new

Need Help Setting Up New TV (1 Viewer)

AnnM

Agent
After waiting over a year for Sony to come out with a replacement size comparable to the 27inch Trinitron, I finally gave up and bought a new LG 26LV2500 yesterday to fit in the old entertainment center. Best Buy really wanted me to have the Geek Squad come out to the house for another $150, but I just didn't have the money. Wish I did, but...

They also wanted me to buy a new home theatre receiver because my Denon receiver doesn't have HDMI. But, it works and, again, I'm working on a tight budget. So, I've looked at diagrams and manuals and I'm totally confused. BB really didn't want to help with this, but they tried. Problem is I've gotten confused by reading the manuals for all of the components and I'd like to get some help from people who really know more about home theatre than cash registers. So, if any of you guys can help, I'd really appreciate it because the tv is still in the box!

The old components are in the entertainment center from when they were connected to the Trinitron. But, it used S-video and Analog variable audio out and things the new TV doesn't have. Here's the equipment:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Photos/Default.aspx?i=68926LV25&tp=35945

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/dht683xp_productsheet.pdf

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR1603_DHT683XP_ownersmanual.pdf

Sony DVP-NC655P progressive scan DVD player.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/158/158DVC655B.PDF

Panasonic PV-9664 VCR

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Panasonic-PV-9664-VCRs-manual/id/620dj199/t/2/

Verizon FIOS HD Cable Box

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/fios/motorola%20qip7100%20user%20guide.pdf

Here is a possible connection plan, but I don't know if everything is connected and would work, so if anyone has the time and wants a challenge, please give it a go:

OPTIONS FOR CABLE HOOKUP WITH LG 26LV2500 HDTV, SONY DVD, PANASONIC VCR, DENON RECEIVER, FIOS HDTV CABLE BOX

Panasonic VCR Wall Cable to VCR RF in

VCR RF out to FIOS box RF in

Audio out-Rt. red to Denon Audio VCR in

Audio out-Lt. white to Denon Audio VCR in

Video out-yellow to Denon Video VCR in

FIOS Cable Box RF out to VCR RF in

RF in to VCR RF out

HDMI to TV HDMI

Denon Receiver VCR Video in-yellow to VCR video out

VCR Audio in-Rt. red to VCR audio out

VCR Audio in-Lt. white to VCR audio out

Component Monitor Video out to TV component video in

Component DVD Video in to DVD component video out

Digital Opt-1 in to DVD Optical out

Digital Opt-2 in to TV Optical out

DVD Digital Optical out to Denon Digital Opt-1 in

Component video out to Denon component-video DVD in

Television HDMI to FIOS box

Digital Optical out to Denon Digital Opt-2 in

Component video in to Denon component video out

CABLES on Hand

#1 Digital Optical

#2 S-video

#1 Component set Red-Blue-Green

#2 Video – yellow

#2 Audio – white and red

#1 HDMI with FIOS HDTV box

#2 RF gold plated

QUESTIONS

Will I be able to listen to the TV sound without the Denon receiver on?

Will I be able to watch a DVD or VCR tape without the Denon receiver on?

Does there need to be an audio hookup using red and white cables between the TV and Denon?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Ann. Here are answers to your questions

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Will I be able to listen to the TV sound without the Denon receiver on?[/FONT]
Yes. Under the configuration you have listed above, the cable box isn't hooked up the the Denon at all, so you will get sound even with the Denon off. The only downside is that you won't be able to listen to any TV through the Denon in surround sound unless you use a digital audio connection between your FIOS box and the Denon.

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Will I be able to watch a DVD or VCR tape without the Denon receiver on?[/FONT]
VCR maybe, but it would depend on your cable box and be pretty kludgy, DVD no.

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Does there need to be an audio hookup using red and white cables between the TV and Denon? [/FONT]

I don't see a reason why you should. as I mentioned earlier, just connect your cable box via a digital audio cable to the Denon.

I'm not sure about your VCR connection that you listed in your post. I don't think FIOS actually broadcasts any analog channels so there may be no point in having the VCR connected via coax. I would go from the wall jack direct to the FIOS box.

AnnM

Agent
Thanks so much for your reply. My Denon receiver only has two digital opt in ports and I have them tentatively used. There is a coaxial connection open in the digital in avail on both the Denon and cable box. So you are suggesting I might use that?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Ann To answer your question, Yes if possible you should try to make an digital audio connection between the Denon and the cable box. As digital coaxial connection is equal to an optical connection in being able to pass a 5.1 digital audio to your receiver. Here is something the TV manufactures tell you the vast majority of the sets sold today will only pass a 5.1 audio out only when the TV’s internal tuner is used. When any other type of connection is made as from cable box or DVD player the TV will down convert the audio to 2 channel stereo. This is the reason you want to make as many of your connections through your receiver and use the receiver as the hub of your system, as that even though a TV has a lot of connections it make a very poor hub. For what it is worth my cable company is going to an all digital format this spring and will no longer send anymore analog transmission. I will assume that will make recording with a VCR obsolete.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by AnnM

Thanks so much for your reply. My Denon receiver only has two digital opt in ports and I have them tentatively used. There is a coaxial connection open in the digital in avail on both the Denon and cable box. So you are suggesting I might use that?

Yes. That will allow you to listen to TV in surround sound when you want through your Denon, or through the TV speakers when you are just watching the news.

AnnM

Agent
Well, I know it's ancient technology, but I still like recording tv shows on my vcr. Verizon wants $15/month extra to lease a DVR. Reminds me of the days when we leased phone equipment from ATT. So, could someone expand a bit on how to hook up the VCR in order to tape off of an HDTV televison and HDTV cable box. I got a bit lost in the discussion. I appreciate everyone's contributions. I don't know about the rest of you, but today's been a sad day with the passing of Elizabeth Taylor. I think I should buy National Velvet when I have the chance. It's probably the movie she's best remembered for next to Cleopatra. All in all, she was quite a star and humanitarian. RIP Dame Elizabeth!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Ann,

I think Casy has answered your question about your VCR, It appears your proposed set up will work. Also page 6 of your Denon manual may offer some help.

I have to admit that it is very easy to get lost in the discussions as you do have a lot of equipment you want to use. As you may have figured out the weak sister in your system is your Denon receiver. It's lack of HDMI connections causes you to have to implement a lot of work abounds. Two things

1. One of the downsides to today's flat panel TV's is the poor sound quality of it's internal speakers, when compared to those old analog sets like your Sony.. You may have already experienced this with your new LG, as a result most of us run our receivers 24/7. This also saves us the sometimes impossible task of getting an independent audio signal to the TV.
  2. Even without HDMI. your Denon can be used with your new TV. You have to think of the receiver as the hub of your system where all of you equipment is connected and switched from one to another. Under this arrangement your TV becomes nothing much more than a monitor.

My wife and I both morn the passing of Elizabeth Taylor. Being horseman National Velvet was one of our favorites, but she never made any bad movies.

Originally Posted by mccambley

Just because a cable or satellite system is going all digital you can still record to a VCR. As long as the set top box has composite or coaxial outputs you can record to a VCR or any other non digital recorder. Once the signal leaves the set top box through on of these ports it is automatically dummy downed to 480i. Now if the set top box only has Component or HDMI out puts then you would not be able to record to a VCR. If you hook up a high def cable box to a non high def TV using composite or coaxial connections and tune to a high def channel you will get a picture just not high def.

AnnM

Agent
Thanks everyone for your help. I've got to get things connected and I'll report back with my success. May need to touch base before if I run into problems, but you've all been wonderful in trying to help put things together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks