What's new

Need Help deciding on best Audio setup for Blu-ray: Analog 7.1 or HDMI 1.1? (1 Viewer)

dnav

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I have a Denon AVR-4306 which supports Dolby D/DTS but HDMI 1.1. It also has SACD with 8 Analog channels. I recently bought a new Plasma TV and a Blu-ray OPPO BDP-83 which also supports SACD with 8 Analog channels and HDMI 3.1. The Blu-ray has Dolby D/DTS-HD built in. I currently always have my rear surround channels on per mixing of DD for most everything I watch.
My question is:
1) Should I use the HDMI even though my Denon does not support 1.3? I think that would eliminate the DD/DTS Lossless HD sound track. If I use the 8 Analog the OPPO will pass the lossless direct to the speakers via the Denon, Is that a better sound solution?

2) Will I lose the ablity to hear my Rear Surround speakers with the Analog setup unless the Blu-ray is in 6.1/7.1?

3) If I pass the video thru the Denon, will I lose anything from the 1.3 to 1.1 HDMI video?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
1) I would connect both the hdmi and the 7.1 analogs. I would use the 7.1's for TrueHD, MA and SACD/DVD-A and the hdmi connection with everything else. Keep in mind that the OPPO's cross-over is set at 80 so make sure your speakers can handle that before hooking up the 7.1's.

2) I believe so. You would also lose the Audyssey, bass and treble controls, bass mngmnt and all other dsp type processing. The receiver would act as a volume control only. This is why I would only use the 7.1's for hi-res audio.

3) I don't think so. Yet. 1.3a did add Deep Color and some other video thing that I can't recall at the moment but as far as I know there isn't any BR discs which support Deep Color out yet so this isn't an issue (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks