Need Help deciding on best Audio setup for Blu-ray: Analog 7.1 or HDMI 1.1?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by dnav, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dnav

dnav Auditioning

I have a Denon AVR-4306 which supports Dolby D/DTS but HDMI 1.1. It also has SACD with 8 Analog channels. I recently bought a new Plasma TV and a Blu-ray OPPO BDP-83 which also supports SACD with 8 Analog channels and HDMI 3.1. The Blu-ray has Dolby D/DTS-HD built in. I currently always have my rear surround channels on per mixing of DD for most everything I watch.
    My question is:
    1) Should I use the HDMI even though my Denon does not support 1.3? I think that would eliminate the DD/DTS Lossless HD sound track. If I use the 8 Analog the OPPO will pass the lossless direct to the speakers via the Denon, Is that a better sound solution?

2) Will I lose the ablity to hear my Rear Surround speakers with the Analog setup unless the Blu-ray is in 6.1/7.1?

3) If I pass the video thru the Denon, will I lose anything from the 1.3 to 1.1 HDMI video?

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    1) I would connect both the hdmi and the 7.1 analogs. I would use the 7.1's for TrueHD, MA and SACD/DVD-A and the hdmi connection with everything else. Keep in mind that the OPPO's cross-over is set at 80 so make sure your speakers can handle that before hooking up the 7.1's.

2) I believe so. You would also lose the Audyssey, bass and treble controls, bass mngmnt and all other dsp type processing. The receiver would act as a volume control only. This is why I would only use the 7.1's for hi-res audio.

3) I don't think so. Yet. 1.3a did add Deep Color and some other video thing that I can't recall at the moment but as far as I know there isn't any BR discs which support Deep Color out yet so this isn't an issue (yet).

3. dnav

dnav Auditioning

Thanks Gene, Good Info!!