What's new

Need feedback on HT equipment (1 Viewer)

Alanrmcd

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
My wife and I are buying a new home (not new construction). The home has a finished area above the garage that was being used as a TV room/office area. I would like to use it as a HT. The room is 25x14, with 2 window boxes that are 4x4 running down the left sidewall, 1 window in the center of the end wall, and has a small walk-in closet. We would use it mostly to watch sports and movie nights (blu ray, netflix streaming, and DTV pay per view). Also, it would be used some for watching regular DTV shows and a little bit of gaming when our kids are home from college. I would appreciate any and all feedback/suggestions on the equipment I am looking at getting for this HT. I am looking to spend between 7-10k on the equipment and would like to get the best quality possible for that price. But, I also do not want to overpay for our needs/usage. I would be very interested to hear your feedback on if the equipment components match up well with each other and as a whole. Also, any recommendations on who and where to order the equipment from for the best value and reputation.

Below is the list and links to the equipment I was looking at purchasing.

Projector: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8500UB
http://www.projectorsuperstore.com/product_details.cfm?ProductID=5249

Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Firehawk G3 106" fixed screen. (Will I need some sort of fixed frame to hold the screen since the wall has a window in the center of it? Or do i have to do a motorized screen? I was hoping to avoid the additional expense of going motorized. I picked this screen due to the ambient lighting. I am looking at tinting the windows and putting up blackout curtains. Also, painting the room a graphite gray)

http://www.projectorsuperstore.com/Product_Details.cfm?ProductID=277

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR808. (Is it worth going up to Tx-NR1008 for +$300?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-120-156&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Speakers: SVS-5.1 Enhanced Audiophile Package STS/SSS-02 with PB12-NSD sub. In addition a pair of SSS-02 to make 7.1. (Is this overkill for what we are doing and our usage?)

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sts01.cfm

Blu ray player: Panasonic Blu-Ray disc player DMP-BD85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-103-423&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Game Consul: PS3. (Should I just use this as our Blu-Ray player? Would the audio/picture quality be as good?)

Cables: Monoprice.com or Blue Jeans Cable. (Any suggestions on which HDMI cables to order to get the best quality/speed from them?)

I know I will also need to get ceiling mount and A/V stand for equipment. Any ideas?

What other equipment will I need and estimated cost?

Please let me know what you think. Again, I will take all feedback/suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Alan

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Alan,

Looks like you did some homework. Good job!

I'm not familiar enough with projectors and screens so I'll only comment on the other items.

Receiver: I would get the NR3007 instead. It is less than $200 more and will give you much better EQ (Audyssey MultEQ XT vs MultEQ).

Speakers: I like the SVS (especially the subs). I would still go and listen to as many speakers locally as you can. Pick your favorites (that fit your budget) and then get the SVS and compare. If you don't like SVS, return them and get the local ones (I would still keep the SVS sub).

BD Player: You can use the PS3 as your player. Only issue is you will need a converter if you want to use any other remote since the PS3 is bluetooth only. Not a huge deal since the converters are not expensive. Quality will be on par with most other players.

Cables: Monoprice is my favorite. Check out Blue Jeans Cables as well (HTF sponsor).

You will need something to cover the windows (blinds or curtains). You will need the room to be very dark. Curtains will help with reflections as well (better sound).

Good luck with your projects.

Alanrmcd

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
David,

Yeah, I had been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks researching which items were most recommended. Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely look at the NR3007.

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks