What's new

Need advice regarding new pre/pro choice. (1 Viewer)

Bullet Head

Agent
Real Name
Amir
i have a yamaha rx-z1 currently that i am contemplating selling and getting separates. id like to buy a nice pre/pre before i purchase an amp.
the primary use for the system will be to watch movies and some gaming on xbox 360.
i have an older NAD 2-channel that i can use for the time being that i try to save up for a nice amp.

which pre/pro should i go for under the $800 mark? ive come across the outlaw audio 990, but it doesnt have HDMI and it looks like its going to be phased out soon judging by the sale prices on their website.

any suggestions?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
My first thought in your price range would be the Emotiva MMC-1. I haven't auditioned this pre-pro for myself, so don't take this as a recommendation, though many people rave about Emotiva.

That being said, the Yamaha RX-Z1 is a fantastic AVR, and in my opinion would be a step up from any pre-pro in this price category. If it were me personally I would keep the RX-Z1 and purchase an HDMI switch for the time being. Then I would save to slowly build separates, first purchasing a poweramp (using the RX-Z1's pre-outs), then eventually replacing the RX-Z1 with a capable pre-pro.

Also by waiting a bit longer, I'm certain you'll have many more options for HDMI capabilities on mid-fi pre-pro's.

Bullet Head

Agent
Real Name
Amir
thanks for the response, i do love the rx-z1 but im looking to purchase a blu-ray player soon, my main reason to move to separates was sound quality and also, at the same time, if i buy dolby trueHD compatible pre/pro, ill be able to take advantage of it. am i losing a lot in high def experience by not being able to listen to it in trueHD? (once i buy a blu-ray player that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks