What's new

Need a new Computer! (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Re: Photoshop install -- This is concerning. Also I wonder if I can load Word from my disk rather than paying Microsoft a monthly fee.
I wouldn't go the monthly fee route. If Word doesn't install from your disk, I would either look for a sale on MS Office 2021 (it's a one time fee) or try Libre Office, which is open source freeware.

I never did try to install my disk copy of MS Office 2010 on my new Windows 11 desktop. Instead, I bought MS Office 2021 for $29 during a Black Friday sale. I also installed Libre Office to try out - - I had Open Office on my previous desktop and laptop.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I wouldn't go the monthly fee route. If Word doesn't install from your disk, I would either look for a sale on MS Office 2021 (it's a one time fee) or try Libre Office, which is open source freeware.

I never did try to install my disk copy of MS Office 2010 on my new Windows 11 desktop. Instead, I bought MS Office 2021 for $29 during a Black Friday sale. I also installed Libre Office to try out - - I had Open Office on my previous desktop and laptop.
Good advice. Thank you. I wonder if my Word docs can be converted to Libre Office. Or will be compatible with MS Office 2021. ????

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Good advice. Thank you. I wonder if my Word docs can be converted to Libre Office. Or will be compatible with MS Office 2021. ????
Both MS Office 2021 and Libre Office will work with your older Word and Excel files. Newer versions of the applications always can open and modify files from older versions. Libre Office recognizes all the MS Office file formats. You can even save your documents in those same formats instead of converting to the app's native format. That's what I always have done with Open Office in order to maintain compatibility between applications.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I moved from MS Office on both my and my wife's computers to Libre Office a few years back and couldn't be happier. No more "Ribbon" interface, is compatible with all our old Office files, and has all the "features" we need and then some (frankly, WordPad does as much as we need for general word processing and would likely work for most end users but MS kind of hides it and installs those worthless Office trials to make you think that's your only choice - I've seen people purchase Office because of those trials when even Notepad would work for their needs).

The *only* people I suggest get MS Office any more are those whose office/work uses it and they do lots of work at home *for the office* on personal equipment.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I moved from MS Office on both my and my wife's computers to Libre Office a few years back and couldn't be happier. No more "Ribbon" interface, is compatible with all our old Office files, and has all the "features" we need and then some (frankly, WordPad does as much as we need for general word processing and would likely work for most end users but MS kind of hides it and installs those worthless Office trials to make you think that's your only choice - I've seen people purchase Office because of those trials when even Notepad would work for their needs).

The *only* people I suggest get MS Office any more are those whose office/work uses it and they do lots of work at home *for the office* on personal equipment.

I agree. The only reason I bought MS Office 2021 was because it was only $29. Had it been available only at its normal pricing, I would have passed. Since it's the last stand alone version of Office that Microsft will offer, it will be my last time paying them for Office. As it is, that only gives me a license for a single PC. I have Libre Office on my Windows 10 laptop (recently replaced Open Office with it), and probably need to install it on my wife's desktop -- she's still using MS Office 2010.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
We have a Dell Inspiron 3847. The power supply & fan (one complete unit) has started making a huge racket. We have been unable to find a new replacement, only refurbished, from third parties on Amazon and from CPU Medics. With either limited guarantees and/or bad feedback on their sites, we are beginning to think it would be best to just buy a new computer, with a new motherboard etc because our previous computer had a similar problem and we replaced the fan, but the next month the motherboard went out.

Aside from the power supply fan noise, the computer is working correctly.

Information and opinions much appreciated. Thank you.
The power supply should have a Dell part number on it. Get it and do a search on eBay for "Dell #". Lots of new or open box PS there.

EDIT eBay is the place to buy surplus Dell computer parts. There are several 300W power supplies used in the Inspiron 3847: numbers G9MTY, K43JV, 5VOJP, etc. Would you gamble $20 for this apparently new "open box" unit? https://www.ebay.com/itm/394228923349?

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Thank you everyone.

We bought this one on Amazon:

FOR DELL 300 Watt Compatible Power Supply Replacement Inspiron 518 519 530 531 537 540 541 545 546 560 570 580 620 660 3000 3847 and More 5W52M 57KJR 5DDV0 6R89K 84J9Y 949H1 CD4GP DG1R8 56DXG CF5W6

A friend installed it for us, and the computer is running like new and FAST. We bought an extended warranty (Probably not necessary but . . .) just in case.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally visited the Micro Center today and spec. out and got an estimate for my next computer . I’ll be returning there next week with my old computer to purchase my new computer and to have them do my migration from old to new.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am very much anticipating the..."this is great! I don't know why I didn't do it sooner" post. ;) :D

Hope all goes well with the transition, Robert.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Frankly, I'm worried, going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 11 is quite a jump.
For day to day use, the change shouldn't be significant. Your biggest potential issues will be incompatibility of hardware peripherals or applications. Since you are having Micro Center do the migration for you, they should be able to work through most of the issues for you. Just be prepared for the chance that something will not work under Windows 11 and may need to be replaced or upgraded.

I never used Windows 8 at home (had it at work), but when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 my Canon scanner would not work -- there was no Win 10 driver for the outdated device. I had to buy a new scanner. All my applications migrated without issues.

I did not run into any hardware that would not migrate from Windows 10 to 11, although my Canon i860 inkjet printer required some additional effort on my part to get working. I did have two applications that failed to work properly -- Photoshop Elements 2018 and DisplayCal (an open source monitor calibration utility that works with my Spyder Elite 5 color meter). I upgraded to Elements 2023, but have not found a solution to the DisplayCal issue as yet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
@Scott Merryfield How you make out in this latest snowstorm in Ann Arbor? Here in Mid-Michigan, we only got about 3-4" as the wind and cold are the biggest issues.
Robert, we have not got much snow, either -- the grass is covered, but the high winds have kept most of the snow off our side street and sidewalks. I would say only a couple of inches of snow, at the most. We have not been out today to see how the main roads are. I am not planning on going out until tomorrow afternoon to pick up my mother (she spends the night with us on Christmas Eve). Roads should be fine by then. It's bitter cold, though, at 3 degrees F and a wind chill of about -20 F.

Stay safe, and bundle up if you go outside.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Frankly, I'm worried, going from Windows 8.1 to Windows 11 is quite a jump.

For day to day use, the change shouldn't be significant. Your biggest potential issues will be incompatibility of hardware peripherals or applications. Since you are having Micro Center do the migration for you, they should be able to work through most of the issues for you. Just be prepared for the chance that something will not work under Windows 11 and may need to be replaced or upgraded.

I never used Windows 8 at home (had it at work), but when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 my Canon scanner would not work -- there was no Win 10 driver for the outdated device. I had to buy a new scanner. All my applications migrated without issues.

I did not run into any hardware that would not migrate from Windows 10 to 11, although my Canon i860 inkjet printer required some additional effort on my part to get working. I did have two applications that failed to work properly -- Photoshop Elements 2018 and DisplayCal (an open source monitor calibration utility that works with my Spyder Elite 5 color meter). I upgraded to Elements 2023, but have not found a solution to the DisplayCal issue as yet.

I wouldn't think there should be much of any problems migrating from Win 8.1 to 11.

I previously upgraded my old Dell XPS PC from Win 8 to 8.1 to 10 w/out any problems. Win 10 certainly isn't much different from 8.1. And AFAIK, Win 11 isn't that different either.

Might need to update some drivers, maybe minor whatever software update and such, but most everything should still feel basically the same.

_Man_

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I like their gear but Canon is crappy about keeping drivers updated. I had to buy a new multifunction printer since my old one wouldn't work with Win 7 back then. (Big change in design from XP to Win 7.) With Win 10 they posted a few mickey-mouse drivers that would stop working after monthly MS updates. A year or two ago they finally posted quality drivers, which fortunately kept working when I upgraded to Win 11.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I like their gear but Canon is crappy about keeping drivers updated. I had to buy a new multifunction printer since my old one wouldn't work with Win 7 back then. (Big change in design from XP to Win 7.) With Win 10 they posted a few mickey-mouse drivers that would stop working after monthly MS updates. A year or two ago they finally posted quality drivers, which fortunately kept working when I upgraded to Win 11.
I had a couple of different Canon scanners over the years. The best thing I can say about them is that they were inexpensive and a small footprint on my desk. They were okay for document scanning, but not great for photo scans. And there were the driver issues you mentioned. I now have an Epson V600 photo scanner. It's a beast size-wise, but it's great for scanning photos.

I rarely use the Canon ink jet printer - - my wife occasionally will want something printed in color for some craft she's making. I send my photo enlargements to an online photo lab, and print documents on a Brother black & white laser printer.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I had to get a new computer this year after nine years and as someone who NEEDS to have two disc drives to handle the disc copying and burning I do, I knew I was in for trouble. Fortunately my boss went to Micro Center where you can have a new computer custom built to your own specs and it was possible for me to get a computer built with one Blu Ray drive, an Ultra4K drive and also two internal 1 TB drives like I had before and then I bought a 16 TB external drive and I feel like I've dodged a bullet for the next ten years at least since by then I know my chance of getting a computer made like this to match what I've been used to for 20 years will be likely nil.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
...I now have an Epson V600 photo scanner. It's a beast size-wise, but it's great for scanning photos.
Tell me more... I have all my parent's old photos and slides and am wanting to digitize them. Everything I research seems to point to that specific scanner as the best for the job. I purchased a stand-alone slide/negative scanner but am not that impressed with its overall quality (it's not bad, just not as good as I'd like - a Kodak slide scanner that had some of the best reviews), plus I've come across some 4"x3" 120 negatives it can't handle.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tell me more... I have all my parent's old photos and slides and am wanting to digitize them. Everything I research seems to point to that specific scanner as the best for the job. I purchased a stand-alone slide/negative scanner but am not that impressed with its overall quality (it's not bad, just not as good as I'd like - a Kodak slide scanner that had some of the best reviews), plus I've come across some 4"x3" 120 negatives it can't handle.
I started a very detailed thread in the Photography section of the forum when I was doing this. You can find lots of details there, and feel free to post any questions in that thread. That way we will not clutter up Crawdaddy's thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks