What's new

Need a new Computer! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since Windows 8.1 will no longer be supported starting in January, I'm going to upgrade my decade old computer. How come desktops no longer come with optical drives? At least that's what I'm seeing in my initial browsing of new computers.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Since Windows 8.1 will no longer be supported starting in January, I'm going to upgrade my decade old computer. How come desktops no longer come with optical drives? At least that's what I'm seeing in my initial browsing of new computers.
Because most software is now distributed digitally, even boxed - it'll be on a flash drive or just have a dl link, and the majority of people just don't use optical drives. You can sometimes customize a desktop to add one but it depends on the manufacturer and model. Most systems still come with at least one slot in the case so it can be added post-purchase if desired, but check for that first if it's necessary to do so. Be aware that some vendors/models now use "laptop" style drives (they work but always feel quite flimsy to me) rather than a true desktop model drive.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While my current HP desktop does have a built-in DVD/ROM drive, I also have an external BD write drive that I place on top of my tower. I bought the USB enclosure and the actual drive (an LG) separately. I've owned this for at least my last two desktop PCs.

20220811_091350-X4.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The capacity of optical drives is now so small compared with modern file/backup requirements that their use is marginal. I bought an external DVD R/W for my most recent laptop just for loading heritage software.

I'm cheap. I buy used/refurb PCs. If you get one with Intel 8th gen processors you will be able to upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11 when you feel like it. Getting the "pro" version of windows permits you to set up the PC without using an MS account (for your privacy reasons).

Used Dell Optiplex 3060s are the entry level upgradable to Win 11 PCs. They normally come with Win 10 Pro. The tower configurations come with a DVD R/W drive. They also accept the modern MVMe SSD drives. These were sold 3 or 4 years ago, and are coming in from corporate leases cheap. I got one last month for $250 off eBay with an i5-8500 processor.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Since Windows 8.1 will no longer be supported starting in January, I'm going to upgrade my decade old computer.
What kind of processor is in your old machine?

It is still possible to get a free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 8.1. MS originally said it was a one-year offer but people find that you can still get the free update from the MS site. It may run slow depending on your processor.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What kind of processor is in your old machine?

It is still possible to get a free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 8.1. MS originally said it was a one-year offer but people find that you can still get the free update from the MS site. It may run slow depending on your processor.

Might be good to at least upgrade to an SSD for the main drive, if the CPU itself is still otherwise good enough -- I'm guessing decade-old PC probably still using HDD, not SSD, unless he already did that upgrade some time ago.

Not sure if Crawdaddy's comfy w/ doing such an upgrade though...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Crawdaddy is not comfortable moving his data from his old computer with Windows 8.1 to a new company with Windows 11.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Why avoid Windows 11?
I'll let Dave answer this question as I run Windows 11 on two of my machines without issue. Whatever you do, however, make sure the computer you buy is capable of running Windows 11 as it has some very specific hardware requirements. In particular, you need to have a current TPM.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll let Dave answer this question as I run Windows 11 on two of my machines without issue. Whatever you do, however, make sure the computer you buy is capable of running Windows 11 as it has some very specific hardware requirements. In particular, you need to have a current TPM.
I’m not buying any computer that doesn’t have Windows 11 already loaded in it with the latest processor.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I should mention I'm now running Win 11 Pro on both of my cheap used Optiplex 3060s. For my use I don't see any issues, although I did have to do a work-around to continue running Windows Live Mail 2012 after upgrading from Win 10. A MS blog told me to make three edits by hand in the registry to get Live Mail back working under Win 11. I avoid messing with the registry but them's the breaks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...to go back to your original question. Yeah, almost nothing comes with an optical drive anymore. For the most part they aren't needed, unless you're ripping or burning media. So if you need one, an external one is the way to go. I actually have a stack of four optical drives, because I used to rip a lot of stuff. I do recommend an enclosure that has a fan, which is very hard to find these days. Optical drives heat up pretty fast. I have a couple of the same enclosure that Scott posted, except the current one doesn't have a fan. I've always bought the drive and enclosure separately. They're absurdly easy to install.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
...to go back to your original question. Yeah, almost nothing comes with an optical drive anymore. For the most part they aren't needed, unless you're ripping or burning media. So if you need one, an external one is the way to go. I actually have a stack of four optical drives, because I used to rip a lot of stuff. I do recommend an enclosure that has a fan, which is very hard to find these days. Optical drives heat up pretty fast. I have a couple of the same enclosure that Scott posted. I've always bought the drive and enclosure separately. They're absurdly easy to install.
Yeah, I probably don’t need an optical drive any longer as I don’t use my drives on my current computer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How come desktops no longer come with optical drives? At least that's what I'm seeing in my initial browsing of new computers.
Because no one buys software on physical media anymore.

And because Apple abandoned disc drives which gave the PC market cover to follow suit.

Good luck PC buying! I have no idea how to shop for one anymore. My current one I built. Haven’t bought a Windows computer retail since my Dell Pentium 60. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you've never spent much/any time on a laptop before, you might hate switching to that at this point... although you could (likely) always still use it like a desktop w/ a regular monitor and mouse at your main location and only use it as a laptop elsewhere as needed...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IF you've never spent much/any time on a laptop before, you might hate switching to that at this point... although you could (likely) always still use it like a desktop w/ a regular monitor and mouse at your main location and only use it as a laptop elsewhere as needed...

_Man_
Yeah, I'll probably just play it safe and get another desktop and continue to use the same printer and monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks