What's new
World Wide Stereo

need a little help... (1 Viewer)

ELSock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
i'm quite positive that i've blown my speakers in the front due to my receiver being far more powerful than my speakers are... in other words... i'm a dumbass and turned it up to loud.

so i have an 8000 series of boston acoustic i'm looking for a good set that will be safe with a pioneer elite 81txv receiver.. any help will be appreciated.

finally in HD land... yet soundless....

~ELSock~

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

postit

Auditioning
Real Name
mike

I didn't know they could be "blown" anywhere else. No speaker will take abuse...sometimes driven to distortion with underpowered receivers. As long as the speaker has a power rating that will accommodate your receiver...it's up to you to be more careful, regardless of the speakers you buy, even if they have built in protection.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

I'm a little confused. What speakers do you have?

Your receiver is rated at 110 watts.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i think the original post is a bit unclear but the solutions are the same regardless of the specifics. as mentioned already, speaker damage can happen from too much power or too little. the problem in either instance is distortion. too much power physically damages the drivers and cones. the drivers may over heat causing melting and the cones will distort causing poor sound reproduction. this will be blatantly obvious and sound loud and bad as the driver maxes out causing loud popping noises at the extremes. too little power can be just as bad. when the speaker takes more juice than the amp can dish out, the amp compensates by chopping off the tops and bottoms of the sound waves. this is called clipping and the sharp corners on those sound waves are a form of distortion that can actually cause permanent dameage to your speakers. as in the first case, you will hear the distortion.

so the first and simplest solution is to not drive any amp/speaker to distort at all, ever. if you hear distortion, back off the volume immediately. beyond that, you can match your amps and speakers numbers watts-wise. that said, most people will recommend that you want amps to spare on the receiver/amp side to avoid the kind of clipping mentioned above. if you need more high volume output than you're getting consider more sensitive speakers or adding more amps and speakers so that everything will be driven a bit less hard.

hope this helps

ELSock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
yeah i think i was a little bit of a dufus when posting the original post.
i have a set of boston acoustic 8000, a quick reference for them. http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/SpeakerPackages/Boston/BostonSystem800.php"]http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/SpeakerPackages/Boston/BostonSystem800.php

when i said i think i blew my speakers in the front, i meant my left and right front speakers, not the physical front side of the speaker.

and i'm not thinking they're blown anymore, i think i just had a loose connection from the receiver to the speakers. the crackled and popped a little during the music of bejeweled(xbox 360) but not during a movie after that, or a different game. so i'm not considering the fact that it is just bejeweled and i'm to quick to jump the gun.

i'll post again with further info later on

~ELSock~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks