Need a 7 channel amp...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ericks, Jun 14, 2007.

1. ericks

ericks Stunt Coordinator

This is my first post here, though I've been reading for a few days - this seems like a great group of enthusiasts so I'm hoping you can help guide me. I've been shopping for a 7 channel amp for my HT. Budget is $2K or less and I'm willing to go used if necessary. I like a "warm" and "open" sound overall - I love tube amps for example. I'm looking at something in the 125-200 wpc area to drive a Definitive Technology system. I've been looking at Sherbourn, NAD, and Sunfire mostly. What else should I be considering? I don't have many local dealers, so I'm going to have to make a decision based primarily on user opinion [​IMG] . Those of you that sell higher end equipment that can throw me a good deal are more than welcome to send one my way [​IMG] . This is just the beginning for me - once this piece is bought, I'll be looking for a dedicated pre/pro.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    You might want to look at Outlaw audio equipment too. They've won a bunch of awards, with their stuff. See it here: http://www.outlawaudio.com/
    Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Another internet direct company to look at is http://www.emotiva.com/. I recently added their IPS-1 amplifier and am thoroughly impressed by it.

-Robb

4. ericks

ericks Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input so far. I was looking at the IPS-1. What are your overall impressions on this amp? Is it fatiguing in any way to listen to?

I looked at Outlaw's website and read some reviews, but most people seem to say the Outlaws aren't "warm" sounding.

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

If I found it fatiguing in the least, I'd have returned it by now.

-Robb

6. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
  7. hodedofome

hodedofome Stunt Coordinator

8. Shannon W

Shannon W Stunt Coordinator

Check eBay for a use Sunfire. I got lucky and got mine when a local store was loosing there Caver dealer. so I picked my Signature cinema grand 7 for $1900 out the door.. You can fine good deals.. you just have to know what your looking for..

Shannon