What's new

My year in blu-ray 2014 (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, as far as I'm concerned this was a great year of blu-ray releases. Lots of great catalog titles from companies like Twilight Time, Shout Factory and Kino. We got a lot of westerns on blu-ray in 2014 which is always something I look forward to as well as many horror titles which seem to always be solid sellers.

I'd like to talk about some of the releases from 2014 I picked up that I thought were just tremendous efforts by the companies that put them out and made collecting blu-rays so much fun in 2014. I also hope that people participate in this thread and list their favorite releases from 2014.

I will start with two huge collectors editions that came out this year, one that got a lot of discussion here and one that I can't recall seeing any mention of here. Both of these films were long sought after by collectors and film buffs and the companies that released them out seemed to really put in fantastic efforts with a great deal of care in putting these packages together. These are both truly "collectors editions" that surpass the work of other blu-ray releases and I think should sit on your shelf next to past releases that really were amazing like the Blade Runner set that included every possible version of the film.

So here we go:

First up and a release I would certainly call one to consider for best blu-ray of the year Mondo Vision's box set of Andrzej Zulawski's Possession.

possessionle.jpg

Coming in a gorgeous velvet slipcover that holds the inner case that contains the blu-ray and a compact disc of the soundtrack as well as a beautiful book and a slew of other goodies the attention to detail here is just amazing. Limited to 2000 copies I can only say that 2000 people are going to be thrilled to have this set. This quite honestly is the most gorgeous blu-ray package I own and you could pretty much display it as a work of art. I don't really recall anybody discussing this release here and perhaps that was due to the hefty price tag of this set leading to not many people here owning it. Also I'm not sure there was much promotion of the fact that this was being released so that may also have impacted how many people have picked this up and as far as I know plenty of copies remain available. The film itself is also probably not for everyone but I would say fans of the work of David Cronenberg, particularly something like Videodrome, would enjoy this film immensely. The transfer is spectacular and I doubt many people have ever seen the film in the quality we get here so not only is the packaging beautiful but so is what is inside it. For those that don't want to spring for the big limited edition set Mondo Vision has also released the film in a package that just includes the blu-ray that is included with this set. Don't hesitate to pick this up if you have any interest as you will not be disappointed.

The next release I'll mention is Shout/Scream Factory's release of the long sought after director's cut of Clive Barker's Night Breed. Which again came in a special limited edition box set with a hefty price tag. I do think the limited edition was well worth getting containing both the newly minted director's cut of the film and the theatrical cut on a separate blu-ray.

nightbreed-blu-ray-1.jpg

These two releases I think really are great examples of what makes collecting blu-rays such a great thing for film buffs. All the extras, multiple versions of a film, director's cuts never before available and a lot of thought and care going into the making of these sets.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Next up on my list of great blu-ray releases in 2014 is The Swimmer from Grindhouse Releasing.

Theswimmert.jpg

I was surprised to see this released and for it to get "Criterion" level treatment from Grindhouse. This was one of my favorite releases of the year and the film features a tremendous performance from Burt Lancaster.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You'll likely notice a running theme here with catalog releases but what can I say these were the films I got really excited about being able to see on blu-ray. One of the truly amazing catalog releases in 2014 was Warner Brothers sensational release of William Friedkin's Sorcerer:

Sorcerer.jpg

This was a wonderful experience the night I sat down to watch this for the first time on blu-ray. A stunning looking film that has long been overlooked and underrated that may finally get its due now that this blu-ray exists.

Attachments

• Touch of Evil.jpg
    Touch of Evil.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 101
  • F for Fake.jpg
    F for Fake.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 106

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Honestly I love when a film I did not expect to make it to blu-ray suddenly appears and that was the case when Hen's Tooth chose to release William Peter Blatty's The Ninth Configuration. A fantastic pitch black comedy and examination of the nature of human beings and their capacity to do good and evil. It is a cult film and a great one that features some pretty fantastic writing from Mr. Blatty and some outstanding acting from his cast. Another nice package for a sort of obscure film and certainly another of my favorite releases in 2014.

The Ninth Configuration.jpg

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Reggie W said:
To me anytime a film from Orson Welles makes it to blu-ray it's a big deal and in 2014 we had a couple:

attachicon.gif
Touch of Evil.jpg

attachicon.gif
F for Fake.jpg

These are both films I never tire of and once again show Welles was a magician both in front of and behind the camera. Just fantastic cinema that belongs in every collection.
You forgot "The Lady From Shanghai", which was released on blu-ray by Sony/Columbia via TCM... ;)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was thrilled to get a great domestic BD release with extras by Scream of Brian De Palma's most entertaining film, Phantom of the Paradise.

I also grabbed those titles The Swimmer, Sorcerer and Touch of Evil.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
One of my new year's resolutions is to try to keep better track of my purchases throughout the year so that I can make better best-of lists at the end of the year . Sadly, this will end up being one of those hard-to-keep resolutions :P I think I'd rather not know how much money I actually spend on movies.

My top 2014 releases:

SORCERER, as mentioned by another poster above, was one of last year's highlights, especially after enduring that awful pan & scan DVD. I wish it would've had some meaningful extras but as it stands it is one of the very best Blu-ray titles ever released.

I'm a horror enthusiast first and foremost so I really have to give props to Synapse Films and Shout Factory for coming up with some really nice holy grails last year, namely CURTAINS, PROM NIGHT (Synapse), and THE FINAL TERROR and WITHOUT WARNING (Shout). All of those (except WW) have had some kind of DVD release throughout the years but nothing that was watchable so thanks to those guys for making a lot of horror fans VERY happy. Some others I really enjoyed were The Legend of Hell House, Deadly Eyes, Ginger Snaps and the Producer's cut of Halloween 6.

Paramount came through with a couple of good catalog titles, Death Wish and Congo (a guilty pleasure if there ever was one).

Kino Lorber titles (various)

My favorite 2014 Kino titles are The Emerald Forest, Avenging Force, Breakheart Pass, Meteor, Mr. Majestyk, On the Beach and Running Scared, which was a blind buy and features one of the most incredible car chases (on elevated train tracks) I've ever seen.

Other favorites: Island Claws and Mortuary (Scorpion Releasing), Shock Waves (Blue Underground) and a handful of Twilight Time titles (La Bamba, The Blob, The Mechanic and The Train)

Imports:

Arrow's release of "The 'Burbs" was an example of what SHOULD be done when a studio hands you a crappy master to work with for a beloved film that badly needed a Blu-ray release. Kudos to them for standing up to rise above mediocrity. Excellent release. If you're not region-free by now you've got nobody but yourself to blame for missing out on some of the best releases.

DUEL. The only worldwide standalone release of this brilliant Spielberg classic that I know of (from Australia, of all places). PQ is outstanding.

Adrian Lyne's Lolita. I vastly prefer this 1997 remake over the Kubrick original, which I never did finish watching through the end out of sheer boredom. This release is exclusive to Germany - I highly recommend this BD to fans of this film. It doesn't look like there will be a stateside release, probably because of some misguided sense of morality due to the controversial subject matter.

Spirited Away. I haven't had a chance to watch my copy yet because it arrived just yesterday but everything points to a spectacular-looking release. It's beyond me why there's still no US release of this wonderful animated flick, a genre I'm not even a fan of.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
All of my 2014 BD purchases (72 in all) were catalog titles as most current films hold little interest for me. Additionally, I should be able to purchase any current films whenever I want whereas some of the deep catalog titles (such as those from TT) may not be readily available down the road.

My "best of" would include (based on quality of transfer):

- WAC BD releases (Out of the Past, The Great Race, The Americanization of Emily, Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Wind and the Lion)

- Touch of Evil

- Double Indemnity

- It Happened One Night

- Mr Smith Goes to Washington

- Foreign Correspondent

- Only Angels Have Wings

- Man Hunt

- The Man From Laramie

- Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison

- Red River

- Witness for the Prosecution

- The Blue Max

I also bought a ton of Kino Lorber Studio Classic discs this year (Meteor, The Great Train Robbery, The Package, plus many more). Transfers were all over the place quality-wise, but I knew that I'd never likely see them released in better versions, at least not in my lifetime.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
My "guilty-pleasure" purchase of a 2014 release:

100783_large.jpg

Saw the first one as a child on CBS Late Movie during the late 70's/early 80's (HEAVILY edited), the second one was a mainstay on HBO during the 80's. "I Escaped...." was definitely more crap-tastic than I remembered.

Paul Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, I sincerely believe that 2014 is going to go down as the high point of this format. The amount of quality, much beloved catalog titles I added to my shelves last year was staggering.

Even better, during the summer I finally invested in a region free player and set about to grabbing everything of interest released in other regions up till then. I would have still been overall positive if I'd been confined solely to Region A, but with the world finally open there was far more available than I could ever hope to keep up with.

Off the top of my head, these were the titles I was thrilled to get

• The Swimmer

• Crimes And Misdemeanors

• The Front (was even able to snag an autographed copy- yay!)

• Norma Rae

• Nosferatu The Vampyre

• Aguirre Wrath Of God

• Day The Earth Caught Fire

• Phantom Of The Opera (Hammer)

• Curse Of The Werewolf

• Monolith Monsters

• Tarantula

• Prime Cut

• Monte Walsh

• Cabinet Of Dr Caligari

• Inferno 3D

• Last Embrace

• Planet Of The Vampires

• Tess

• Picnic At Hanging Rock

• Ace In The Hole

• The Jacques Demy Collection

• Cobra Woman

• The Killers ( both versions)

• The Alain Robbe-Grillet films

• The Train

• My Darling Clementine

• It Happened One Night

• Gilda

• Paradise Alley

• Sorcerer

• Meteor

• The Great Train Robbery

• The Buddy Holly Story

• Out of The Past (!)

• Oklahoma! (in Todd-AO!)

• Carosuel

• Violent Saturday

• Breakhart Pass

• The Complete Batman TV Series

• Little House On The Praire Season 1+

...among many, many others (I know I'm forgetting a whole bunch).

A truly spectacular year to be a movie buff/optical disc fan.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I do think that 2014 may be the best year ever for blu-ray due mainly to the growth of catalog releases from companies like Twilight Time, Kino, and Shout/Scream Factory. 2015 has a lot to live up to and it will be interesting to see what titles emerge this year.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Reggie W said:
I do think that 2014 may be the best year ever for blu-ray due mainly to the growth of catalog releases from companies like Twilight Time, Kino, and Shout/Scream Factory. 2015 has a lot to live up to and it will be interesting to see what titles emerge this year.

There is already an interesting title for tomorrow (1/13/15).

Earlier, you highlighted "The Swimmer" (Burt Lancaster). I've considered myself a Lancaster fan for a long time - so why have I never heard of "Skin" (or "The Skin")?

Because it is Italian? Maybe, although I had heard of "The Leopard".

http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Blu-ray-Burt-Lancaster/dp/B00OZOILZ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1421088663&sr=1-1&keywords=the+skin+lancaster

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks