What's new

Anyone else still viewing an old DLP projector from the 2000s? Here's my Toshiba 62HM196 (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I bought this Toshiba 62HM196 1080p DLP TV back in December, 2006. It cost $2000 with shipping from a California retailer (I am in Louisiana), which was a real steal at the time, LOL. It is still going strong, I watch cable TV on it all the time, the college football bowl games looked great over the weekend, the occasional Blu-ray or HD-DVD (yes, I still have one of those too, LOL). And about five years ago, I attached a Roku device to it to "smarten" it up, so I also stream Netflix and the Disney bundle channels. I have always loved the rich colors and deep blacks this TV produces.

This TV has the spinning "color wheel" and yes, if I purposely flick my eyes side to side real fast, I can see the "color blur" effect, but since I normally never flick my eyes side to side real fast, that's never been an issue. I have also never had the "white dot" problem with this TV either.

I also cannot really complain about the lamp. The original lamp did burn out in 2014, after over seven years of heavy use. Got a new one and it has worked just fine since.

I now have two 4K TVs in other rooms, and of course I can replace this gal with a 4K just as large or larger for not much more than the price of one of those expensive Toshiba lamp bulbs, so its days are numbered. But it has served me well for over 14 years, so deserved a tribute, LOL. PS - if you are wondering why I didn't show an image on the screen, I am scared of violating copyright laws, so just to be safe.

Anyway, here's the old girl:

20210106_103934.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes you get attatched to a set. Thinking about all the content you watched on it, how great the it looked. Not to mention the gesture of the particular TV. Many features get lost to time, so when you upgrade you will miss certain things about the old set, that aren't available anymore.

It will be a sad day when my first 'real' HD TV (Sony 40" Bravia-2010) bites the dust, it still looks fantastic.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Sharp and Pioneer Elite combined to created an Elite 70" LED flat panel 3D a decade ago. It has worked flawlessly with HD images that rival 4K and absolutely perfect 3D. I don't know what I will do to replace it because the small 4K advantage is no match for perfect 3D.
In a bedroom I have a Vizio 55 inch 2.35 flat panel. It was discounted to $400 at a close-out store since the public wasnt ready for scope TV. Because of the aspect ratio, there is actually a 3K pixel count. It delivers passive 3D so those added pixels allow passive scope 3D discs to look better because of the added resolution for the divided passive 3D frames. It will be irreplaceable when it gives out, but so far so good.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Auto correct is brutal. :confused:

I take pride in writing properly, but holy smokes left unchecked it changes entire words into phrases I do not want making my posts incoherent (see my above post).

It is helpful, but also emberessing when it has a mind of its own. I'll look into turning it off for good. It has been a long time coming.

Jarrod

Agent
My Samsung HLT-6187s died a few months ago. I had already replaced the red LED, and on a separate occasion, the DLP chip. Power supply finally killed it, no parts to be found.

Still have a Mitsu 60" unit, which is now our main display. But it started with a dreaded stuck mirror yesterday...the beginning of the end. Need to find a 3D-capable UST laser projector. Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks