What's new

My RP82 DVD-A Review (1 Viewer)

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
I have bought a few DVD-A titles within the past months. It all started about a year and a half ago when I bought the JVC XV-SA70BK DVD-A player. The only DVD-A title I had was Silverline's Classic Christmas(London Symphony) 24/96 5.1 MLP track DVD-A and I loved the detail and surround feeling it gave. I didn't buy any more DVD-A's until now that I got my Panasonic RP82 and my Sony DA4ES receiver with a 7.1 speaker setup together. BTW I have Cerwin Vega speakers all the way around in the following configuration:

2 - LS-12 (12" Woofer Main Front)
1 - LS6C (Dual 6.5" Center Channel)
2 - LS-12 (12" Woofer Main Rear)
2 - LS6C (Dual 6.5" Surround Back)
1 - HTS-15 (200W Powered Subwoofer)

I first tried the critically acclaimed Queen: A Night At The Opera DVD-A. This title has a DTS 24/96 track, 24/96 5.1 MLP track, and a 24/96 Stereo PCM track. I prefer the DTS 24/96(Sony DA4ES does have onboard DTS 24/96 decoding :) ) over the 24/96 5.1 MLP track because only on the DTS 24/96 via digital output and you get the surround to also be played into the surround rears very clearly and loud. It was really neat in Bohemian Rhapsody when the guys were singing in a circle, because one of them was singing right behind my head straight into my hear and it gave me goosebumps. To say the least I was very impressed with the Queen DVD-A and would highly recommend it to anyone for excellent sound and surround quality. Last night I broke down and bought the new Bjork - Vespertine DVD-A. This DVD-A has the best clarity and surround effects that I have EVER heard on my 7.1 setup so far. The 24/48 5.1 MLP track sounds spectacular and will engross you in excellent surround effects, Bjorks wonderful voice clearer then ever before, and it even provides tons of LOW BASS on some tracks. I found the 24/48 Stereo MLP track to sound excellent as well, but the 24/48 5.1 MLP track is the only way to go with Bjork because it is perfectly done. I would also highly recommend Bjork - Vespertine as a first DVD-A purchase because it is only $17.99 at Best Buy and it makes full use of the DVD-A format. I had to turn the DB's on the subwoofer up to about 4 db to blend in equally with all the other speakers. I had all speakers on LARGE since all my 7 speakers are FULL RANGE speakers, and in my opinion is the only way to truly experience DVD-A and DVDs. I know audiophiles say that Cerwin Vegas have muddy mids and lack detail, but I highly disagree with them. I love loud, accurate, bright sounding, bass heavy sound and the Cerwin Vegas are the only thing in their price range that can deliver it. I am constantly hanging pictures back on the wall because of the sound pressure I get out of these speakers. They will also rock the block for a party when I need them to. Out of the 100's of DVDs I have watched, I would say Fast & The Furious and Blade II in DTS ES 6.1 are the loudest and most dynamic DVDs I have ever heard on this setup. Your ears will bleed after turning it up only 1/3 volume and thats what I like sometimes. I will end this review by saying the RP82s DVD-A 24/192 DACs sound just as good as my JVC XV-SA70(JVCs have been known to have excellent audio DACs)24/192 DACs, and I would also highly recommend the RP82 also for not only having brilliant PQ but also having great sounding DVD-A performance all for $200!!! Any other Cerwin Vega fans out in the ever-growing world of wimpy satellite/sub combos?

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on my way to get a DVD Audio disc (my first). I am going to try & get the Bjork. I hear the Natalie Merchant is good as well. I just got a JVC XV-SA600BK, and loving it so far.

harana

Grip
Real Name
Haseeb
Jason,

Does RP82 or CP72 (I think both have the same capabilities) play DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW discs? The manual does not give full details about it. Is there a website which has details like these available for these 2 DVD Players?

Best Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks