What's new

Pio Elite vsx 84 semi mini review/thoughts (1 Viewer)

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
Ive had the unit a little over a week now its replacing a panasonic sa-he200
QUITE a step up in PRICE..now there was nothing at all wrong with the panasonic it just was limited in its configurations I needed an outboard component video switch and various other minor but bothersome things..soundwise the panny was fine..I was looking for convenience. and I got it with the pio one cable to the tv, one cable for hi-rez audio etc, renaming of inputs blah blah blah..hows the sound? I was not expecting any revelations and thats good because I was seriously underwhelmed at its 2 channel perfomance,its fatiguing, compressed and lacking emotion (this was a semi cursory listen before using the mcacc) dvd-a was slightly better..
Hmm not good..now before I bothered with any video I knew I needed to run the mcacc which oddly enough set my klipsch rb85 mains,rc 3 center and rb5 surrounds to large hmmm change that..it also was a foot off on the left side for distance but correct for center and surrounds kind of odd and caused me to remeasure to see if I was wrong, nope wasnt.. I was slightly worried about having hdmi issues as Ive read several stories of them nope pleased to say no issues with my sa8300>hdmi>pio84> hdmi>dvi into my mits 65313..Im also using the pio to upconvert an rp82,modded xbox,modded ps2,and an old pio dvl 700 ldplayer..I now discover that the pio does NOT like upconverting a 480p signal there is a faint line runnning horizontally up the tv which goes away if I switch incoming video to 480i..I now have everything set up and working as well as its going to..the video side is good real good I see no degradation on hd signals,upconverted dvds look better than I expected (which isnt much but). back to the sound the audio is frustrating 2 channel is just lacking and I spent several hours with various settings and the mcacc,direct,pure direct etc... for dvd-a I fired up american beauty and yeah it sounded good almost real good the sound opened up some but was just missing that something special..then I fired up blade 2 with the dts es track and man that pretty much cooked I was right there in the middle of it all ..regular tv sounded like regular tv running the gamut from tinny to decent...I still have a few weeks to decide if I will keep it problem is there is nothing else out right now with the feature set of this unit..is it worth almost 4x the price of the panasonic sa-he200 not a chance in hell..but I may keep it anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks