What's new

My Infocus X1 First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
To preface:

My previous television was a Sony 27" Wega. I have no prior experience with larger TVs or projectors.

I knew that light control was going to be key so I made sure my livingroom was projector ready before investing in the X1. A set of denim drapes close to cover the only large window in the room.

On to my impressions:

I received the X1 on Friday as well as the component to VGA converter (the component to s-video converter comes in tomorrow).

I ceiling mounted the projector and hooked up the VGA input to my XBox via the converter and the XBox HD pack and my receiver through the s-video input.

I am projecting (for the moment) onto a bare off-white wall.

Setting up the projector itself was extremely easy. Set it to ceiling mode and I was off and running.

The first image I watched on the X1 was the opening screen of Halo on the Xbox. I have to say, the image looked awesome to my admittedly untrained eye.

Being aware of the rainbows issue, I didn't want to doom myself by looking hard for them but I also wanted to be honest to myself. Well, my eyes detected not a single rainbow. Over the weekend, I had several friends over and none of them saw any either. Needless to say, I was relieved.

Although I'm not yet using the optimal non-progressive setup for my DVD player, the output was very watchable through the s-video connection (dvd player to receiver to X1).

I calibrated using the Avia DVD. The X1 has three configurable presets, so I saved a couple of different configurations to mess around with.

I paid special attention to black levels as I knew this was an issue with digital projectors as a whole. While the light spill around the widescreen image was clearly not as dark as the dark room around the image, I thought the black levels and shadow details within the image were extremely pleasing. In fact, a friend of mine, without any prompting, remarked specifically about the shadow detail. The images seemed very film-like. I can't wait to see the improvement with the component to s-video adapter.

I watched some regular TV via the s-video input (HD comes tomorrow) and I was pleasantly surpised by the image. While the analog cable channels were a bit of a mixed bag, the digital channels looked very clear and clean. I watched the Sopranos on digital HBO Saturday night and was very impressed with the clean image. Football on Sunday was a bit fuzzy but overall very watchable. I'm really looking forward to checking out the games in HD next weekend.

If this sounds a bit like a gushing review, well, it is. I don't have any bad things to say. As I prefaced, this is my first plunge into the projector universe and my eyes and mind are untrained (and unjaded). While I'm sure the higher rez projectors out there produce a better image, for my money and time, I could not be happier with the X1.

:D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The X1 is a great Entry level projector...I demoed it but opted for the Sanyo Z1....both are great products for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks