What's new
World Wide Stereo

My first DIY project. The 15" Titanic MKIII. pics (1 Viewer)

John t.

Agent
I don't know how to post pics in this forum.

Check out my site to see some pics of how I built my first DIY sub. The site is still under construction, and that's not my theater on the home page. Right now the sub is in the paint shop. I'll post pics of the finished product. You can click on the pics to see larger images.

Any comments will be appreciated and welcome. Hope you like my first creation. This stuff is fun.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi John

Lots of lookers but not a reply. :frowning:

It's to bad this area has fell off with posting in the last year or so. There are reasons for this and some know what they are, but thats a whole nother thread.

John:
It appears you have built a very nice, ~{extremely strong box}~.!
I'm sure that it will look as good as it was built when the "finish is done".

What is the finish color/type going to be and do you plan to do a grill/cover of some type for it.???

What is the finished internal cf^³ & aprox Q, as it appears to be a Sealed alignment???

What are you planning to power it with, Plate Amp, Pro Amp, old Receiver or DC/Amp.???

Also, might you be Eq-ing it with a BFD or the like to help the very bottom end a touch & or smooth out room response.???

For your first sub cabinet, very nice, very strong, nice job....!
Strong/rigged is a good thing when it comes to sub cabinets.! ;)

Regards
Geoff ¥

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Looks nice. I take it that isn't your shop if this is your first DIY...but if it is then I'm quite jealous :D

Currently working on a ported tumult enclosure. Not having a garage is a major pita.

John t.

Agent
Geoff L,

The box is now finished (i'll post the pics up on the web site). It was painted in a black piano finish. I still have to polish it to make it shine. I'll leave it without a grill for now.

The internal cf^³ is approx. 2.3. I used the PE recommendations. the Q according to them is .707.

I'm powering it with a crown pro amp. 1140w RMS.

I'm going to try it without the BFD, and then if I find it necessary, then i'll eq it. This thing can do 100db with a 15hz sine wave.(this is without any corrections to the Radio Shack Spl meter).

Mattak,

That's my fathers shop. He was the one who actually did most of the work. He is a custom cabinet maker, so it wasn't a big deal for him.

Thanks for your responses guys. really appreciate your comments. I'll be updating the web site with the finished pics pretty soon.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Are you by any chance using a Crown XLS 402 in 4 ohm bridged mode? If you are, how does the amp fair on the very low end (10-20hz)? If you can do a 15hz sine wave at 100db, I'd assume pretty good...I believe the amp starts rolling off about 6-10db at 10hz, which would be perfectly suited for my application. Can you confirm this?

Nice looking sub by the way.

John t.

Agent
That is exactly the amp i'm using and how i'm running it. I think it does pretty well in the low end. 15hz is the lowest i've gone. I haven't tried lower frequencies, but i'm pretty sure it'll do fine.

It was actually more than 100dbs at 15hz because I didn't correct the value of the RS meter. It was also mesured at approx 9' from the sub, at my seating position. So I'd say that's pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks