What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

My Fair Lady (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The My Fair Lady program book olfactory reports are in, and the news is quite good. The softcover one exhibits a quite decent nose for its age. The hardcover one fares better, almost surprisingly so. I'll bet it was quite florid in its day. The glossy paper and print were obviously of good quality, and they have aged well.

Checking a few others...

Some of those printed on a regular matte paper but protected to some extent by their hard cover, such as South Pacific, retain a respectable if muted aroma.

My copy of Mad World (softcover only, in the less glossy kind of gloss) has been around the block too many times to have grown old gracefully, I'm afraid.

Of my two Lawrence ones, the smaller sized reprint is practically devoid of odiferous content, while the original larger one still has a few nice molecules to share.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For the most part yes. Although sometimes there were different movie programs for the same movie title depending on when and where you saw it. Some were hardcover and some soft. See the programs for This is Cinerama below:

s-l300.jpg

s-l225.jpg

capitol3.jpg

s-l225.jpg

BRADFORDTHISISCINERAMAJAPAN.jpg
In the instance of "This is Cinerama", wouldn't it had been clever of the publishers had they designed their program as a three-panel fold out.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
In the instance of "This is Cinerama", wouldn't it had been clever of the publishers had they designed their program as a three-panel fold out.

The last movie promoted as "In Cinerama" was Krakatoa East of Java (it's actually west of Java). Parts of the opening titles have three panels, although it was not filmed that way.

hqdefault.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The last movie promoted as "In Cinerama" was Krakatoa East of Java (it's actually west of Java). Parts of the opening titles have three panels, although it was not filmed that way.

hqdefault.jpg
I wonder why they called it "East of Java"? Any known history on that front?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Original title: "Krakatoa - Really, Really, Really, Really, Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY East Of Java".
Funny.
Which reminds me of a Peter O' Toole story.
As legend has it, Peter O' Toole was lying on the ground outside of an Irish Pub, one night.
A local man came upon him, looked at him and asked, in a gruff scolding tone;
"Peter O' Toole !! WHAT are you doing down there on the ground?"
O' Toole, looking skyward and assessing the stars, replied, "You k-n-o-w how the planet spins 'r-o-u-n-d and 'round? Well...I am wait-ting...for my House...to Come...and Pick...Me...Up".

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I wonder why they called it "East of Java"? Any known history on that front?

Urban Legend has it that the producers thought having West in the title would cause people to think it was a western. East of Java, supposedly sounded better and gave it a mysterious south Asian title. Again, I read this and put in the legend category. I enjoyed the movie when it was released and read everything I could get my hands on about its making.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Urban Legend has it that the producers thought having West in the title would cause people to think it was a western. East of Java, supposedly sounded better and gave it a mysterious south Asian title. Again, I read this and put in the legend category. I enjoyed the movie when it was released and read everything I could get my hands on about its making.

That sounds implausible for several reasons. Simply having "Java" in the title will preclude any confusion about it being a western. And if there were any danger of confusion, the logical choice would be to simply drop the reference altogether, not replace it with an inaccurate one, sure to generate derision.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
...Simply having "Java" in the title will preclude any confusion about it being a western...

Not so.
In every western there is always a campfire where cowboys and criminals, alike, are drinking from their mugs of Java.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Krakatoa East of Java and Custer of the West were a double feature when re-released.

krakatoa_east_of_java_and_custer_of_the_west_JA01125_L.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Love it.
It inspires me to work out a new recipe: Custard Krakatoa. Yum.
Oh...BTW...is this a thread about "My Fair Lady" or "My Fair Java"?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
That sounds implausible for several reasons. Simply having "Java" in the title will preclude any confusion about it being a western. And if there were any danger of confusion, the logical choice would be to simply drop the reference altogether, not replace it with an inaccurate one, sure to generate derision.

As I said urban legend and better than the what could be true answer is, that the authors, director, and producers had no idea where the location was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks