What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Wish the theatrical release was in the hands of about anyone else but Fathom Events. They have a pretty spotty record of showing vintage films.... with things like intermissions skipped, widescreen films "letterboxed" into a 1.85 frame, and even films with stereo sound shown in mono.

Let's hope someone takes them in hand (maybe Mr. Harris) to insure this is going to done correctly. Ideally if there is a 4K DCP, that would be the way it should be shown. From what Mr. Harris has said 4K can replicate a 70mm projection experience. I hope that is what we get.

But once again MY FAIR LADY fans are being told---JUST YOU WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jim*Tod said:
Wish the theatrical release was in the hands of about anyone else but Fathom Events. They have a pretty spotty record of showing vintage films.... with things like intermissions skipped, widescreen films "letterboxed" into a 1.85 frame, and even films with stereo sound shown in mono.

Let's hope someone takes them in hand (maybe Mr. Harris) to insure this is going to done correctly. Ideally if there is a 4K DCP, that would be the way it should be shown. From what Mr. Harris has said 4K can replicate a 70mm projection experience. I hope that is what we get.

But once again MY FAIR LADY fans are being told---JUST YOU WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check and double check. Fathom will be screening 4k in all 4k theatres.

They're working very hard to create a high-end experience.

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My local theater has a beautiful track record with these (Lawrence and Cleopatra were served up to perfection) so I'm looking forward to some theatrical bliss.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Since they've moved to DCP's for special movie events, I've been told the Fathom shows have been much better.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Andrew Budgell said:
Keeping my fingers crossed for a Fathom Event. I've never seen "My Fair Lady" on the big screen and would love to.

Why ? Fathom don't run their events in Canada.

However, Cineplex has a regular classic film series in many cities and will likely run this once it becomes available....

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Rob W said:
Why ? Fathom don't run their events in Canada.

However, Cineplex has a regular classic film series in many cities and will likely run this once it becomes available....

Because I'm close enough to go over the border if Cineplex's Classic Film Series doesn't show it here.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm at the point of no longer caring about when -- or if -- My Fair Lady is ever released in Blu-ray, 4K, 70mm film canisters, 8mm, Betamax, CED disc, whatever.

Without a blu of it,

The tide comes in.

Without 4K of it,

The earth will spin.

Without new extras done, the clouds roll by --

If they can do without it, well then,

So can I!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Raul Marquez said:
Just found out this from The Digital Bits page:

"And finally today, just a quick update on the status of CBS’ recent [/size]My Fair Lady restoration. I’ve checked with sources and learned that it’s definitely still coming to Blu-ray, but apparently the studio is working with Fathom Events to hold nationwide theatrical screening of the newly restored film this fall and wants to coordinate the release with that. So expect the Blu-ray now to be probably a 3rd Quarter release in time for the holidays."[/size]

Guess our wait will continue[/size]
Thanks for sharing, anyway. Glad we at least have a time frame now.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Adam Lenhardt said:
Than

Now we might be talking about a release almost a year from its original release date. Screw Fathom. Lets have the bluray already. Anyone else feel this way?

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
trajan said:
Than

Now we might be talking about a release almost a year from its original release date. Screw Fathom. Lets have the bluray already. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm also disappointed this is being delayed so long. :(

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the update Mr. Harris. I guess the trick on this end will be finding local theater managers (Richmond, Va here) who can tell me if they are showing it in 4K. Ultimately it does depend on how carefully the exhibitor handles the presentation. Sounds like I will have time to do my research.

Oh the joy and pain of delayed gratification!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
lukejosephchung said:
Saw Robert Harris' 1994 30th Anniversary restoration of this theatrically...you're in for a helluva treat, Andrew!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Me, too. At the Plitt Century. I took every friend I could. At least 5 or 6 viewings. Magic. With MFL, Spartacus, and the triumph of LOA, I became a Robert Harris devotee.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Very sadly, I guess this thread's header says it all ...'December 9'!

It's too cruel, especially from those of us outside the States who have to wait so long even though we can't benefit from the theatre showings....

I personally can't see why early release of the Blu would detract from special theatre programming .. we're probably talking about very different audiences.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
AnthonyClarke said:
Very sadly, I guess this thread's header says it all ...'December 9'!

It's too cruel, especially from those of us outside the States who have to wait so long even though we can't benefit from the theatre showings....

I personally can't see why early release of the Blu would detract from special theatre programming .. we're probably talking about very different audiences.

I think you're definitely right! Even with holding back the Blu-ray, 95% of the people who want it, would still probably never make it to one of the relatively few theater showings of MFL. Showings will probably only take place in several large cities, anyway. I think availability of the Blu-ray would have almost zero impact in stopping people who value the theater experience, from actually going.

You know, like most of us, as a child I was taught the value of patience. But still, I've been eager for months, to see the day when we could have people over, who would really enjoy seeing My Fair Lady with us, in our home theater.

Anyway, I'd have thought that if certain executives were taught good business practices and public relations standards, they would have known that promising a major release in time for the Christmas of one year, and then pushing it back to the fall of the next, is no way to treat paying customers.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Mike Boone said:
I think you're definitely right! Even with holding back the Blu-ray, 95% of the people who want it, would still probably never make it to one of the relatively few theater showings of MFL. Showings will probably only take place in several large cities, anyway. I think availability of the Blu-ray would have almost zero impact in stopping people who value the theater experience, from actually going.

You know, like most of us, as a child I was taught the value of patience. But still, I've been eager for months, to see the day when we could have people over, who would really enjoy seeing My Fair Lady with us, in our home theater.

Anyway, I'd have thought that if certain executives were taught good business practices and public relations standards, they would have known that promising a major release in time for the Christmas of one year, and then pushing it back to the fall of the next, is no way to treat paying customers.
You're forgetting the ORIGINAL reason why MFL was delayed...Robert Harris decided the restoration was not yet ready for release because of technical snags he encountered in the process...I'd rather wait a few extra months or even a full YEAR for this if it means getting the presentation done CORRECTLY by HTF's resident expert in film restoration...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
lukejosephchung said:
You're forgetting the ORIGINAL reason why MFL was delayed...Robert Harris decided the restoration was not yet ready for release because of technical snags he encountered in the process...I'd rather wait a few extra months or even a full YEAR for this if it means getting the presentation done CORRECTLY by HTF's resident expert in film restoration...
If you recall, not precisely tech snags. Merely someone forgetting to push the color button. Looks loverly in black & white, but there was a necessity to break out the crayons. Then came the move toward IMAX, 3D, and the new Atmos mix.

Once more crayons arrive...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks