What's new

My Current Setup (1 Viewer)

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
Well I got the approval from the new wife and went a head and ordered it. I also got up into our attic and looked around. I think I got it all figured out and how to best approach the install. All should go smooth and the only thing I think I will need that I can see right now is at least a 1 in 3 out splitter. Ill be sure to take pics and show you all what I do. :D

Thanks again for the help.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
I could come up with a few ways to solve a minor issue im battling with right now but Im wondering what the right way is. So from the attic I drill a hole in the top of the wall and then down in the laundry room I drill a hole in the bottom of the same wall. This hole is what will be used to run the antenna cable through. Question is, the hole is going to be a bit bigger than the cable so its easier to feed. How do I "block" unused air space of the holes so that there isn't any heat loss and can keep things nice and neat?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
1/2" assuming you are using RG6 cables (you are, aren't you? ). Then caulk with silicone around it to stop the air.

FYI - Although RG6 is normally used for higher bandwidth applications like satellite TV, it also works better for normal OTA signals when you have long runs with splitters and possibly boosters. If you already have RG59 (it is thinner than RG6), don't worry too much as it will probably work. Just keep it in mind in the future.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't worry about the holes in the top plate because I always have more cable to run. I usually use a 1" spade bit to drill through the top plate. On an install I did for a family member I had to buy a two 1 foot extensions (total bit length was 30") to get through multiple top plates. It took over two hours of drilling and testing to get the wire run.

I suggest installing an outlet box in the room. You can't just drill a 1/2" hole and expect to get the RG-6 out of it. Lowes has these in the electrical section and the box is labeled for low voltage.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I also recommend using one of the blue "old construction" boxes combined with an RG6 wallplate for a finished look.

To help reduce heat loss, you can get foam inserts like these that are the size and shape of the wallplates and come either pre-punched with holes for switches and outlets, or come in full sheets that let you custom cut the hole for whatever you need. They are cheap and only take a minute to install.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
I actually used those inserts in ALL the outlets in the house when we moved in. But yes I am thinking what I am going to do is a finished looking install so I dont have an open hole that will be visable in the laundry room and it will look much neater.

crazy8

Agent
Real Name
Wayne
Well I have finally installed my antenna in the attic and everything is looking and working great. Only thing is, Id like to take it up one step further. Im thinking I want to get an amplifier hooked up to it. If I am not mistaken this will allow me to receive more channels and make it easier for the antenna to pull them, correct? If so what kind of amplifier should I get that would work great with that antenna?

Thanks for all the help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I am not mistaken this will allow me to receive more channels and make it easier for the antenna to pull them, correct?
Not always. Have you checked antennaweb.org to see how many channels are available in your DMA? How many are you picking up? If you are trying to pick up an antenna from the fringe of your reception area, then it may help. If you are easily picking up a close by channel, you could overload your tuner and not pick it up at all. If you have multi-path distortion, you would just amplify it and confuse your tuner and get nothing. Most of the time, height is the best answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks