What's new
World Wide Stereo

Multi-channel input question (1 Viewer)

Kevin*H

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver has 8 channel inputs if I were to use these from a dvd player how would it compare with a digital connection. As I notice that if you do this the digital sound fields of the Rx are no longer usable why would anybody use these inputs?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Kevin - if you use the digital outputs on your DVD player, then the Receiver will perform the Digital to Analog conversion. If however you use the analogue outputs on your DVD player, the DVD player performs the Digital to Analog conversion.

It all depends on which device has superior DAC's. For instance, the DAC's on my CD Player are superior to those on my receiver, so I choose to use analogue outputs on my CD Player.

Also, if your DVD Player is capable of playing SACD then you must use the analogue outputs as there are restrictions in place that won't allow you to use digital.

Kevin*H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Alon, I was thinking of getting an Oppo 970 and see that it has 5:1 analog outputs so does this mean my rear speakers will be redundant, also I have noticed that the sound from a digital connection sounded better than an analog one.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
What model receiver do you own? If you purchase the Oppo 970, I would suggest using the digital output for DVD playback. If you decide to play SACD's in the future, then you will also want to connect the 5.1 analogue outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks