What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mr. Holland's Opus on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of this film on Blu-ray? I guess it would probably be a Mill Creek budget title, but even a merely serviceable HD presentation would be nice, since it never even got an anamorphic DVD in R1.

A special edition probably wouldn't happen, but if it did, a commentary could be great. As for other bonus content, the very worthwhile charity organization the film inspired is definitely deserving of some recognition, so a featurette on it might be nice.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mill Creek's Disney output (and its Columbia output) seem to have come to a screaming halt lately.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
What is this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=XDMTV8YTRPZSFMS8GZW5

71Pc2kL2oPL._SY500_.jpg

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

Caution: Here's a september 2019 comment on this release, of which Amazon does NOT list releasing organization, from an Amazon customer: "Very disappointed -- just received the blu ray and it is nothing more than a DVD transfer. It has not been upgraded in any way. It is the same video as the DVD - widescreen format WITHIN a full frame format. You have significant black borders on all 4 sides! The picture is very grainy. I feel ripped off. I was expecting a significant upgrade to blu ray format from the original poor DVD transfer."

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Disney owns it and it’s not yet on Disney+, so I wonder if they can’t release it on Blu.
Not like they release much of their back catalogue...

yimitz

Grip
Real Name
Jim
I took a gamble and ordered this. It's the Australian/New Zealand release. Even though it's labeled as Region B it plays just fine in my Region A player (Sony BDP-S6500).

It's listed as 1.85:1, but it's actually 2.35:1. I've only watched a few minutes of it, but it's about on par picture-wise with the version that shows up on TCM every so often. In any event, it's a vast improvement over my non-anamorphic DVD.

Audio is DTS-HD MA 5.1. No subtitles.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I took a gamble and ordered this. It's the Australian/New Zealand release. Even though it's labeled as Region B it plays just fine in my Region A player (Sony BDP-S6500).

It's listed as 1.85:1, but it's actually 2.35:1. I've only watched a few minutes of it, but it's about on par picture-wise with the version that shows up on TCM every so often. In any event, it's a vast improvement over my non-anamorphic DVD.

Audio is DTS-HD MA 5.1. No subtitles.

That's enough to make me want to pull the trigger...

The Amazon review quoted by Rick above (about the "sea of black" around the picture) was in relation to the DVD of the film. That would make sense because of the non-anamorphic nature of it.

Are we expecting there NOT to be a region A release any time soon?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I asked that wrong.

The DVD of Mr. Holland's Opus only came out in 1999(!). So there's no reason based on that that we should be expecting a Blu release anytime soon. But sometimes, people can draw conclusions based on other criteria.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
That's enough to make me want to pull the trigger...

The Amazon review quoted by Rick above (about the "sea of black" around the picture) was in relation to the DVD of the film. That would make sense because of the non-anamorphic nature of it.

Uh, no it wasn't a review of the DVD. It specifically refers to the blu-ray ("just received the blu ray and it is nothing more than a DVD transfer"). Whether it's accurate or not I can't say, as I immediately deleted it from my cart. Has anyone else bought the blu-ray besides yimitz to break the tie? If it's actually a new transfer, I'll put it back in the cart.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Rick. Hope I didn't get you mad. Didn't mean to.

I just saw that the item reviewed by the customer was listed by amazon as "DVD." Should have been more careful about the review's wording.

You know how Amazon lumps all of its product reviews (Prime Video/Blu/DVD/even VHS) into all the ages for each medium for a film.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I decided to bite the bullet and order that Blu-ray. It is indeed from Australia.

I can tell you that it is fully anamorphic, if that term even applies to Blu-rays, and it is a very nice high-definition presentation of the movie. Anyone who's still holding on to the old non-anamorphic DVD would do well to upgrade to this or a subsequent US release. It appears to be a 2.3x:1 aspect ratio.

This disc plays just fine in my Sony Blu-ray players which have not been hacked or altered in anyway, so it appears to be Region A-safe.

As stated, the extras are thin. There's a 5-minute featurette that looks to be 4:3, and a widescreen trailer lasting about 3-minutes.

So, yes, I agree with @yimitz above. The reviewer mentioned from Amazon is flat-out wrong.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I decided to bite the bullet and order that Blu-ray. It is indeed from Australia.

I can tell you that it is fully anamorphic, if that term even applies to Blu-rays, and it is a very nice high-definition presentation of the movie. Anyone who's still holding on to the old non-anamorphic DVD would do well to upgrade to this or a subsequent US release. It appears to be a 2.3x:1 aspect ratio.

This disc plays just fine in my Sony Blu-ray players which have not been hacked or altered in anyway, so it appears to be Region A-safe.

As stated, the extras are thin. There's a 5-minute featurette that looks to be 4:3, and a widescreen trailer lasting about 3-minutes.

So, yes, I agree with @yimitz above. The reviewer mentioned from Amazon is flat-out wrong.

Nice to hear.

It's likely like the other Disney-owned films released in Oz (Splash, Turner and Hooch, Quiz Show, et al)... region-free and strangely absent from US releases.

Think I'll go order me one. Haven't seen the movie in a few years and I want to.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to hold off on ordering it, since the Australia version from Madman is not due to be released until December 4 (that I can see from Amazon AU and Ezy DVD), so I don't know what the hell this Blu might be.

Was it the one from Amazon US?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks