What's new

How Have These Avoided Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I was looking over my DVDs, and certain films jumped out at me as "How'd THESE pictures avoid being on Blu-ray?" All feature major stars and/or major directors in films made no earlier than the mid-60s.
I'm sure everyone has his or her own list of head-scratchers, but here's mine:
Always (Spielberg directs Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter and John Goodman)
The Great Escape
A League of Their Own
Funny Girl
Mary Poppins
Mr. Holland's Opus
Sleepless in Seattle
The Shootist
Tribute (Jack Lemmon in an Oscar-nominated performance you can only see on VHS; amazingly, this one didn't even make it to DVD!)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Plus the remaining Rodgers & Hammerstein on Fox: Oklahoma!, State Fair, Carousel and The King and I.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
I don't know why The Great Escape hasn't hit BD yet, but my cash is ready when it does.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Disney has stated they're holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.

Roger Rabbit's 25th is next year, so my guess is that it'll be sometime in 2013.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Brandon Conway said:
Disney has stated they/re holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.
I know that I would certainly never buy a measly 48th Anniversary edition of Mary Poppins.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Brandon Conway said:
Disney has stated they/re holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.
Good. Perhaps they'll use that time to completely redo that awful sounding 'Enchanced' mix that sounds like a tin-can audio recorded through a drain-pipe.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
2013 is Sleepless in Seattle's 20th (how can it be???), so surely there will be a blu-ray release - and maybe sooner since Nora Ephron has recently left us. :(
Since it is Universal's big 100th celebration, I am surprised they have not released two of their very successful films on blu - Thoroughly Modern Millie, which made them a huge amount of $$$, and Fried Green Tomatoes.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
bryan4999 said:
Since it is Universal's big 100th celebration, I am surprised they have not released two of their very successful films on blu - Thoroughly Modern Millie, which made them a huge amount of $$$, and Fried Green Tomatoes.
They're saving those for their 150th.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Doctorossi said:
I don't know why The Great Escape hasn't hit BD yet, but my cash is ready when it does.
I'm ready for some GREAT ESCAPE on Blu as well but I'm not buying any half-assed Blu that's barely better than the DVD PQ-wise. I'm still not convinced MGM has gotten their act together.
Another one I'd love to see on Blu is VON RYAN'S EXPRESS.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
elDomenechHTF said:
I'm ready for some GREAT ESCAPE on Blu as well but I'm not buying any half-assed Blu that's barely better than the DVD PQ-wise. I'm still not convinced MGM has gotten their act together.
Another one I'd love to see on Blu is VON RYAN'S EXPRESS.
Von Ryan's Express has just been released in France
http://www.amazon.fr/LExpress-colonel-Von-Ryan-Blu-ray/dp/B007MFUGDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1340990273&sr=1-1
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=1112#auswahl
It is multi-region. I wonder what's happened to The Great Escape, & while we're talking UA how about The Vikings. If they look anything as good as, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, I'd be very happy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/321870/how-have-these-avoided-blu-ray#post_3943422
Disney has stated they're holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.

Roger Rabbit's 25th is next year, so my guess is that it'll be sometime in 2013.
Yes, there have been Roger Rabbit promo trailers on some Disney releases I've reviewed in the last couple of months, so its coming is not a surprise. Most welcome, however!

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
MattH. said:
Yes, there have been Roger Rabbit promo trailers on some Disney releases I've reviewed in the last couple of months, so its coming is not a surprise.
Bound to be censored, I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks