What's new

2013 Buena Vista catalog releases? (1 Viewer)

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hello,
Does anyone know if this year Disney/ Buena Vista plan to release catalog titles like they did last year? I believe that it was around this time last year that they announced a great deal of titles. I hope that those sold well enough as there are many titles that I still want out on blu-ray.

Last year they announced While You Were Sleeping, Flubber, Absent Minded Professor and I heard rumors of I Love Trouble. Do we know if those are still in the works?

Also, Many wanted titles have been released in Australia and Germany by BVHE. Is this an indication that these will be out here soon? The Australia titles that I want What's Love Got to Do With It, I love Trouble, Quiz Show, etc are region free so I could import them. However the Germany disc of Mr. Hollands Opus is region B and i don't yet have a region free blu, I am saving for one.

I'd rather buy this region to save on import costs etc but if we don't think any of those will be here soon I might budge and order them.

Does anyone think we can expect these titles anytime soon over here?

If they do continue, I'd love Blu's of Metro, Up Close and Personal, Six Days Seven Nights, Mighty Joe Young, Super Mario Bros, Three Men and A Baby, Encino Man, Eddie, Son In Law, and many others.
They have so many titles that they released MAR or Non-anamorphic widescreen that I am always clamoring for Blu's or 16:9 dvd's. I have a region free dvd player but only get other regions if I know for a fact that the USA outlook is grim. I can notice Pal speedup on the foreign dvd's and I hate it. Six Days Seven Nights region 2 is almost unwatchable as the voices are way too high pitched. Anne Heche sounds like she ingested helium.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm glad you bumped this tread for with the news of the passing of Annette Funicello it caused me to pause and think about the flubber films, even though she was not in them. But I do dream of a SHAGGY DOG Blu-ray.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I would like to see "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Tarzan"(animated) being scheduled for a release soon.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I'm still waiting on:

[*]Dead Presidents (1995)
[*]An American Werewolf in Paris (1997)
[*]Kundun (1997)
[*]Beloved (1998)
[*]The 13th Warrior (1999) (Theatrical Cut & original John McTiernan "Eaters of the Dead" cut)
[*]Mission to Mars (2000)
[*]Open Range (2003)
[*]Around the World in 80 Days (2004)
[*]The Ladykillers (2004)
[*]The Village (2004)
[/list]

Hopefully more will be released this year.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
ahollis said:
I'm glad you bumped this tread for with the news of the passing of Annette Funicello it caused me to pause and think about the flubber films, even though she was not in them. But I do dream of a SHAGGY DOG Blu-ray.
More Annette would be welcome (coincidentally, I just watched The Shaggy Dog on DVD, and it could look stunning as a BD; I imagine it will be a double feature with its 1976 sequel, The Shaggy D.A.). Other than that, I'm waiting for:

Song of the South
So Dear to My Heart
Treasure Island
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (has been restored and a David Fincher remake is in the works, so this is probably coming within the next two years)
Old Yeller
The Parent Trap
The Three Lives of Thomasina
The Happiest Millionaire
The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band
The Love Bug
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Escape to Witch Mountain
The Apple Dumpling Gang
The North Avenue Irregulars
Midnight Madness
Tex
Never Cry Wolf
Splash
Return to Oz (a no-brainer after Oz: The Great and Powerful)
Ruthless People
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken
What About Bob?
Noises Off...
The Straight Story

Flight of the Navigator, to which Disney only owns the US rights, is available in the UK and Germany; the UK disc is region-free.After last year's run of about 30 catalog titles, hopefully we can get 30 more this year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Second on every title you mentioned but would like to add MARY POPPINS and SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON to the list. And those 70's comedies SNOWBALL EXPRESS. and the Kurt Russell College flicks. I really enjoy MIDNIGHT MADNESS and love the 70's character actors in the film. Pee Wee before he was Pee Wee.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I wouldn't expect Mary Poppins until at least December when Saving Mr. Banks debuts theatrically, or perhaps 2014 when it's the 50th Anniversary of Mary Poppins and Saving Mr. Banks hits home video.

As for other titles..... I'm sure they are more than likely looking at sales of the previous year's live action catalog films. Whether they release more will tell you what they thought of those numbers....

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
It's really sad that NEVER CRY WOLF and Carroll Ballard's other great masterpiece, THE BLACK STALLION, were so poorly served on DVD and have yet to come out in Blu. Both are just crying for high definition imagery and sound. Live action films that are perceived as being for children get so little respect in the industry.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Professor Echo said:
It's really sad that NEVER CRY WOLF and Carroll Ballard's other great masterpiece, THE BLACK STALLION, were so poorly served on DVD and have yet to come out in Blu. Both are just crying for high definition imagery and sound. Live action films that are perceived as being for children get so little respect in the industry.
...which is ironic, since Never Cry Wolf was part of Disney's early-80s, pre-Touchstone experimentation with edgier films. That said, I really liked it as a kid.

For me, I would also love to see Return to Oz (as stated above, a total no-brainer to cross promote with the new film) and Bedknobs and Broomsticks (hopefully with both the restored version and the original theatrical cut).

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yes from me also to Eaters of the Dead/13th Warrior (both versions), Mission to Mars, Snowball Express, What About Bob?, Ruthless People, Noises Off..., Flight of the Navigator, and The Straight Story (The only David Lynch film I enjoy)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Moe Dickstein said:
Yes from me also to Eaters of the Dead/13th Warrior (both versions), Mission to Mars, Snowball Express, What About Bob?, Ruthless People, Noises Off..., Flight of the Navigator, and The Straight Story (The only David Lynch film I enjoy)
Flight of the Navigator is available on region-free Blu-ray from the UK, and Amazon UK has it for a very reasonable price right now. It even includes a director's commentary track, which I believe is exclusive to this release.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I don't buy non us releases except in extreme cases. Not enough of a fan to go out of my way for it. Prefer to encourage domestic releases

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Professor Echo said:
DITTO

Adam4Rizzel

Agent
Real Name
Adam J
I'd expect to see lees titles from Buena Vista. While 30 films was a great number, many of the releases were sub-par to horrendous, and all the recent releases have been of excellent quality. Quality-over-quantity.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Moe Dickstein said:
I don't buy non us releases except in extreme cases. Not enough of a fan to go out of my way for it. Prefer to encourage domestic releases
I don't know how you normally buy Blu-rays, but as I do most of my buying online anyway, I didn't have to go out of my way at all! Amazon's UK site works pretty much exactly like their US one does--I literally just had to type ".co.uk" instead of ".com".

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I hate overseas packaging, it's not a convenience issue. I live in LA so I have a huge amount of stores near me that sell large selections of catalog titles both new and used so I only buy online when I absolutely have to.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Ray H said:
I'm waiting for their 90s Woody Allen titles!
I don't think they even own any of those do they? Weren't they Miramax, which would mean Lions Gate?

There's several of those that I want though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Adkins said:
I don't think they even own any of those do they? Weren't they Miramax, which would mean Lions Gate?
Lion's Gate cherrypicked the most profitable Miramax titles (the Tarantino directed titles, Scream, Clerks and some others) and the rest of the library went to Echo Bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks