What's new

Mr. Bug/Hoppity Goes to Town on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Calm down: sadly for now at least, I'm asking, not telling. What are the chances of one of the greatest cartoons ever finally appearing on BD? This 1941 Fleischer classic has never – apart from a fabled Japanese DVD a few years back – even had a decent home video release. This despite the fact there seem to be three restored/good quality copies available...

I'm assuming Mr. Bug is tied up in rights issues, as it's ludicrous that such an important work remains unavailable to the majority of animation fans.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I think chances are that Thunderbean could release it.
Mr. Stanchfield has said that it is among his favourite animation films so maybe if a rights issue is cleared we could see it from them.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
It's easily in my top 10, sometimes top 5 most wanted titles for bluray release. If the UCLA restoration can be licensed for release, I will pre-order it day one.

I just want a nice copy with original titles and cover-art that isn't some off-model airbrush atrocity.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Thunderbean announces it sometime this year.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I was , of course, going to mention Thunderbean in my OP but hoped he might weigh in himself! Of course any good quality BD would be most welcome, but it would be even better if we got the very best version of the three, whichever that is...

Last edited:

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i really enjoy this feature as well. It was released on LD a long time ago that i was able to purchase and eventually transfer to DVD-R. But the picture is a far cry from even a well done DVD. A blu ray would most certainly be welcomed.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here I go quoting myself. Steve on Cartoon Research announced it coming out on blu-ray:

Mr. Bug Goes to Town (from the master neg!!) June 2017
You called it, Rodney! :)

As it happens, MR. HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN (Alternate title) was one of those titles I had taped off our First Choice Movie Channel in the late '80s, only to accidentally tape over it just a couple years later! :(

Glad to see it getting a proper Blu-ray release!

CHEERS! :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I respect Mr. Stanchfield a lot for the great work he has actually released, but an announcement and an actual release are very different animals. He announced a collection of Van Beuren cartoon shorts on Blu-rays years ago, and it has yet to come out. I contacted him about this several times because a few of my favorite cartoons are/were going to be on it, and the answer is, "We're making progress." This man apparently works pretty much on his own, so the work load must be stifling. He has indicated an interest in MR. BUG, and even made that announcement for June of 2017 (see post #10), but I don't really expect it to actually happen in my lifetime.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thunderbean is a one man shop, and it appears Steve tends to bite off more than he can chew. His stuff is always worth waiting for, but he always seems to be more optimistic with his release dates.

Mr. Bug Goes to Town may never get a proper release from him, but he did say back in March that he was going to scan a 35mm IB Technicolor print of it and release it as a special disc.
Still waiting....

mr-bug-200.jpg

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I'm assuming Mr. Bug is tied up in rights issues, as it's ludicrous that such an important work remains unavailable to the majority of animation fans.

Allegedly, Paramount owns the rights. The copyright was renewed in 1969 by National Telefilm Associates, whose assets were later absorbed into Paramount. However, there have been some unauthorized DVD releases, under the assumption that the film is public domain. I think that when the film was retitled "Hoppity" the new title card didn't have the copyright info (much like what happened when Laurel and Hardy's "Babes in Toyland" became "March of the Wooden Soldiers"). If Thunderbean does go through with that BD, they probably would have to go through Paramount first.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Announcing a project and producing results are very different animals. Mr. Stanchfield is essentially a one-man animation restoration guru, and he's backlogged as it is. 18 months out, I still await a copy I pre-ordered of AESOP'S FABLES, which will contain several of my favorite Van Beuren cartoons. He has been good about responding to my inquiries, and says this is nearly ready, but he stumbled upon some better source material for a few of the films, causing further delay. Yes, he has repeatedly stated his enthusiasm for HOPPITY/MR. BUG, and hopes he can do it, but don't be thinking it will come to fruition before some of us have passed on...:(

adw001

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Washington
Always checking to see if the restored Blu Ray is yet available but this morning have found a full HD fan-restoration that is the best picture and sound I have seen.

"You Tube Link to pirated video deleted by Moderator"

Last edited by a moderator:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
https://linktr.ee/maxfleischercartoons

by the way they have nightly blocks that they run in Instagram Live

but the latest that I have found in researching is that the estate is working with the cooperation of Paramount to restore all of the Fleisher Library, that means that the possibility exist for an Official Studio release,

would love to see this get a full on Paramount Presents with all the bells an whistles. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks